Always fun to watch the Masters

This golf tournament illustrates the most frustrating and telling aspect of golf, as a sport/pastime. Once you reach Your Level, you will never get any better, regardless of how much you play or practice.

Note that Tiger Woods set the scoring record when he was 21 (as is Spieth now), and he never improved on that record. Spieth's score is arguably a better one because the course has been adjusted over the years to make it slightly tougher. So don't look for Jordan to improve over time. He is at his peak RIGHT NOW, and can only hope not to deteriorate like most of the others do.

If practice made you better, then pro golfers would be improving over the years until age reduced their driving distance to the point where it affected their scores. But they don't get better even though they play all year long under intense competition and practice for countless hours.

Practice doesn't even improve putting (once you have figured it out). If practice improved putting, then the guys on the Senior Tour would be the best putters in the world. But they are not. They don't even read the greens any better than they did when they were younger.

In all fairness ... When Tiger Woods started out and was busting records all over the place ... The courses were changed to defeat his strengths in some cases.

He had a booming drive that often stretched out past the other players and allowed for better approach opportunities.
It wasn't long into his early stretch that the courses started dropping hazards and traps all over his maximum range ... Setting him back to playing the course at the applicable range of others.

Augusta has always been my favorite golf course.

I don't know if it still holds true but in the 70's when I was stationed in D.C., it was well-known that we could get daily passes to play Augusta during the week from the local R&R center. Seems they welcomed active duty GIs from all branches and gave us some really neat discounts.

I only played it once - and am not about to tell my score - but it was the greatest experience I ever had playing golf.

Thus, watching it on TV is a real pleasure for me - if only the commentators would shut up!

Sounds to me like you're posting from dreamland.

Do you have a link to Augusta National giving tee times to R&R GI's?

No link... I'll know you're a bullshitting liar, but if you have a credible link I'll give you a message board high five and congratulations for being one of only a few thousand people to play Augusta National.

A Dozen Ways to Play Augusta National Golf Club
Sorry you got such a hair up your rear end.

I was assigned to Washington, DC twice in the '70s and both times, during the off season, tickets to play Augusta National were available at the Fort Gordon Recreation Office and anyone could apply for them. We were invited to play Mon thru Fri when openings occurred. We were not allowed into the club house but changed in an area near where the caddies were.

I had some souvenirs but lost them. Believe it or not. That's up to you.

If you're interested, the same invitations stand for Pebble Beach and a couple of other courses in the area.

The fact that you didn't/can't supply proof that you, or any riff-raff, played Augusta National speaks volumes-----speaks volumes when with just three or four clicks of my mouse I can find; http://www.augusta.com/masters/faq

Can I play a round of golf at Augusta National or can I go visit the course?
No. Augusta National Golf Club is a private club and is only accessible to club members and their guests. The public may visit the course only during the Masters Tournament and only with the proper ticket or badge.

But if you are able to supply proof that Augusta National ever let riff-raff (I include myself) play on what they believe to be hallowed grounds, I'll apologize for this you sir are a liar.

What else do you lie about?

Just to save you from stepping in more golf BS - FYI the Pebble Beach Courses are public courses.

BTW, if you weren't allowed in the clubhouse, where'd you buy the souvenirs you've so conveniently lost?

Can I play a round of golf at Augusta National or can I go visit the course?

No. Augusta National Golf Club is a private club and is only accessible to club members and their guests. The public may visit the course only during the Masters Tournament and only with the proper ticket or badge.

The statement above is in itself a lie ... ;)
It starts with the answer "No" ... And then gives the provisions necessary for the opportunity.

So at the least ... The initial and truest answer would be "Yes" ... Especially in light of accomplishing the additional requirements.

Last edited:
As someone who spent many years addicted to golf and was fortunate enough to play on some amazing courses, I'd like to make a statement about today's golfers.

Tiger was the first to turn it into a sport for athletes. Daily workouts and exercising followed by intense practice and studying. He showed the way to others who are playing a game that didn't exist a decade ago.

The average drives are well over 300 years, most over 350. It's not just the new drivers but the need for well-coordinated muscles and strength.

250 yards with irons - unheard of in the days of Arnie, Jack, and others. Some use fairway woods off the tee so as not to get into hazards originally laid out for drivers. Par 5s routinely reached in 2 by the most average players.

It used to be that players gathered in the clubhouse after a round so socialize and have a drink or two. Now they're either on the range or in the trailer provided for physical therapy - or they return to where they're living to be with families.

In other words, golf has changed from a semi-social sport to one of strength, fitness, and endurance. If you're not in good condition, you don't stand a chance.

That these athletes perform on some of the most beautiful grounds around the world really makes it pleasing to watch.

Forum List

Back