Alcohol Worse Than Crack? Then Why The Racist Sentencing?

Look, booze has run my life for years (though I am presently sober) and I do know both it's glory and shame, it is a tough bastard to break away from once really addicted but I think the difference between alcohol and crack would be most people can drink and not let it control their lives. (We alcoholics are still the minority, and some of us can even function while bing one.)

How many people can use crack habitually, every day and still function? How many people can just use it for recreation their entire lives like most can with booze?

Oddball spoke thusly: "It's to keep the police and prisons fully employed"

The FBI found that about 95%+ of all serial murderers were raised by alcoholic parents, and not one by a stoner.

If you drink the right amount of alcohol, and if you're lucky, you can sometimes find some crack... No need to worry about what she looks like until you wake up in the morning.

The FBI found that about 95%+ of all serial murderers were raised by alcoholic parents, and not one by a stoner.

as to the first sentence, that's silly and was clearly intended as something tongue in cheek.

(at least I hope so).

as to the second, you're correct. i've also never seen a stoner in a bar fight. but that speaks to the minimal difference between pot and alcohol.. not crack.

what DOES speak to racism in sentencing is the disparity between sentences for crack cocaine and powder cocaine -- the first being predominantly a drug of choice for poor minorities; the latter being a drug of choice for rich white people.

as to the first sentence, that's silly and was clearly intended as something tongue in cheek.

(at least I hope so).

as to the second, you're correct. i've also never seen a stoner in a bar fight. but that speaks to the minimal difference between pot and alcohol.. not crack.

what DOES speak to racism in sentencing is the disparity between sentences for crack cocaine and powder cocaine -- the first being predominantly a drug of choice for poor minorities; the latter being a drug of choice for rich white people.

No, Oddball is profound as usual. Making recreational activity criminal just serves to keep law enforcement fully employed.

But the correct answer is to decriminalize drugs

(at least I hope so).

No, Oddball is profound as usual. Making recreational activity criminal just serves to keep law enforcement fully employed.

But the correct answer is to decriminalize drugs

he's never been profound... or even correct about anything. :)

we should legalize pot and perhaps consider decriminalization and provisions for registered addicts like they have elsewhere. it would be cheaper than keeping them in jail.

Dr. Boyce: Racist Sentencing Occurs When Alcohol Meets Crack | News One

I think this is rather interesting, alcohol has the same destructive effects on families and health as crack cocaine, sometimes even worse, so why the different treatment?

Ask the Democrats in Congress. Better yet, ask the "Black Man in the White House" who is too gutless to make a political statement by commuting the sentence of people serving out extra long sentences for possession of crack cocaine.

If you were not a racist yourself you would be blaming the blacks who vote for this type of sentencing disparity instead of whining about it and blaming whitey.

(at least I hope so).

Ever wonder why Jerry Brown is so hard on crime?

Daniel Abrahamson: Jerry's Brown-Nosin' with California's Prison Guards

Just something to think about before you dismiss the idea that sentencing laws are all about money.

(at least I hope so).

PART of the reason for the disparity in sentencing is that black people who use crack are usually involved in OTHER criminal activities, while the rich white people on powder are not. If you look at the sentencing for trafficking, well they are about the same regardless of form.

Dr. Boyce: Racist Sentencing Occurs When Alcohol Meets Crack | News One

I think this is rather interesting, alcohol has the same destructive effects on families and health as crack cocaine, sometimes even worse, so why the different treatment?

Alcohol is the only drug that is prone to kill people withdrawing. It happens OCCASIONALLY with other drugs, if the addict has secondary issues (heart disease, asthma, for example) but this is why treatment factilities send alcohol addicts to hospitals prior to taking them to detox. They're prone to croak when they quit, because their bodies become so dependent.

So alcohol, while it may not be worse, can certainly be as bad as any other drug. To an addict, the drug name doesn't matter, the outcome is equally devastating for the family no matter what it is. Ultimately, it's not the drug, but the addiction, that kills and maims.

(at least I hope so).

PART of the reason for the disparity in sentencing is that black people who use crack are usually involved in OTHER criminal activities, while the rich white people on powder are not. If you look at the sentencing for trafficking, well they are about the same regardless of form.

Total bullcrap, these people getting long sentences are getting them for drug possession, not because of other crimes being committed, no different than the white boys who sell white powder, there's no excuse you can make for the sentencing disparity.

(at least I hope so).

Total bullcrap, these people getting long sentences are getting them for drug possession, not because of other crimes being committed, no different than the white boys who sell white powder, there's no excuse you can make for the sentencing disparity.

you sr are full of shit, I worked in the field for over 10 years, and I can tell you people don't go to prison for simple possession, PERIOD. Those who are in prison are there for carrying major weight, and or breaking other laws.

Show me a single instance of anyone in prison for a simple possession charge.

Ask the Democrats in Congress. Better yet, ask the "Black Man in the White House" who is too gutless to make a political statement by commuting the sentence of people serving out extra long sentences for possession of crack cocaine.

[...]
Well said.

Federal Judge Robert W. Sweet, who supports NORML and belongs to L.E.A.P., has said, "Americans will know they have an honest President when he or she promotes the end of marijuana prohibition."

Obama is a fraud.

you sr are full of shit, I worked in the field for over 10 years, and I can tell you people don't go to prison for simple possession, PERIOD. Those who are in prison are there for carrying major weight, and or breaking other laws.

Show me a single instance of anyone in prison for a simple possession charge.

Its not just simple possession charges they're brought up on moron, its distribution, possession and possession with intent to distribute, those alone under federal sentencing draw huge sentences.

Getting back on topic, alcohol injures and kills more people in car acciddents and fights than crack addicts.

Forum List

Back