Alabama parole board unveils new plan to fix current catch-and-release system

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The governor put a moratorium on early paroles back in October over concerns the board was releasing too many inmates.

She ordered the board to submit a corrective plan, which Ivey then criticized as unacceptable, leading to today's response just before the moratorium expires.

....NBC 15 took an in-depth look into the catch and release problem, showing you how Alabama is releasing more inmates on parole than there are convicts who complete their sentences.

The plan is in the link as well as a short video. It's 70 pages and I have not read all the way through it. Mayhap we are starting to turn a corner.

The governor put a moratorium on early paroles back in October over concerns the board was releasing too many inmates.

She ordered the board to submit a corrective plan, which Ivey then criticized as unacceptable, leading to today's response just before the moratorium expires.

....NBC 15 took an in-depth look into the catch and release problem, showing you how Alabama is releasing more inmates on parole than there are convicts who complete their sentences.

The plan is in the link as well as a short video. It's 70 pages and I have not read all the way through it. Mayhap we are starting to turn a corner.

Yeah, although we lead the world in incarcerating our own citizens and despite the fact that we've turned it into a for profit enterprise with stocks traded on Wall Street, We must lock up more.

5% of the planet's population, 25% of the planet's incarcerated population.

We truly are an exceptional society.

Yeah, although we lead the world in incarcerating our own citizens and despite the fact that we've turned it into a for profit enterprise with stocks traded on Wall Street, We must lock up more.

Why even bother having laws at all, amiright?

th

*****SMILE*****

:)

To protect the ruling aristocracy's property and societal position, same as it ever was.

To protect the ruling aristocracy's property and societal position, same as it ever was.

I don't know how to break this to you but not all people in poverty or working class are criminals.

I don't know how to break this to you but not all people in poverty or working class are criminals.

And as we all know, no one claimed such. Revisit Bacon's Rebellion and the aftermath.

And as we all know, no one claimed such. Revisit Bacon's Rebellion and the aftermath.

You implied it. This is a thread on changes on releases from the Alabama prisons where they are finding that there is a cycle of releasing them, they go out and commit more crimes, they get picked up again.

th

*****SMILE*****

:)

One of the greatest concept albums of all time. They don’t get near enough credit for it. It’s close, but I think it is better than Hotel California. Every young man can relate.

Of course great credit is going to Trump for trying to deal with this problem. Oh that’s right, he gets no credit for ramrodding this legislation through. Same shit, different day.

I'm not sure that I follow you on this. I wasn't aware that Trump was involved in any way, shape or form with the Alabama Board of Pardons and Parole. This is a group of people that are not held accountable. They created their guidelines and then didn't bother to follow them. Maybe too much discretion there.

No I wasn’t specifically responding to you, more to the incarceration post. But I am not quite connecting the dots. Does your post have anything to do with immigration, or strictly Alabama residents? You are usually up on this stuff, is the release rate greater than California or the national average?

No I wasn’t specifically responding to you, more to the incarceration post. But I am not quite connecting the dots. Does your post have anything to do with immigration, or strictly Alabama residents? You are usually up on this stuff, is the release rate greater than California or the national average?

It doesn't have anything to do with immigration that I can see but because that isn't the focus. I don't if it is the national average either. But, it appears to be right in line with what other states are experiencing only here it is at the parole level.

Back in October the Alabama Board of Pardons and Parole started to release a lot of inmates that had committed violent crimes early. That was stopped in it's tracks They set guidelines and were not following them and it was felt they had too much discretionary power. Can't fire em. They won't be stepping down either.

Behind the scenes they are getting pressure to release these people due to overcrowding. This is not the first time but it was a large amount.

Nationwide there are cities (and States) where there are no longer any consequences for juvenile offenders. Adults are arrested and then released. If people don't start cooling their shit and paying attention to the details then that pendulum is going to swing the other way.

So many who need to be in jail and are not. Might be room soon.

Forum List

Back