Al Qaeda in Iraq Is at Its Weakest

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by namvet, May 22, 2008.

1. namvet

namvet Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,807
    thye need more women and children to do their killing. because their male animals are running away.
    story

2. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    So when do we turn it over to the Iraqis and bring our troops home?:eusa_think:

I will believe the "light at the end of the tunnel" when it happens. What is really the shits is that this war never needed to be fought, and now we have no idea of when it will end. If however, you criticize, then you are told to tell US how to end this piece of shit that Bush started. If I fuck something up, no one but me is responsible for fixing it.

What a piece of crap.

3. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    It appears now is the time.

Gen. David Petraeus told an admiring Senate Armed Services Committee Thursday that the improving security situation in Iraq will likely allow him to recommend further U.S. troop reductions this fall, beyond the planned drawdown to about 140,000 in July.

Petraeus, currently the commander of the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq and now nominated by President Bush to take over as head of U.S. Central Command, appeared before the senators for a confirmation hearing. But the gathering quickly turned from his job qualifications to a progress report on Iraq.

His comments were markedly more optimistic than his last update to the committee only six weeks ago.

Petraeus reported that recent attempts by Iraqi security forces to secure parts of the nation -- including Basra, Mosul and the sprawling Shiite slum known as Sadr City in Baghdad -- with diminished U.S. military involvement have proven successful.

The general also said the U.S.-backed central government was enjoying more support among the Iraqi people, after Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki showed his resolve to attack not only al-Qaida in Iraq, but also Shiite militia groups.

He said the recent move by Iraqi forces into Sadr City, much of which had been controlled by Shiite religious leader Moqtada Sadr's militia, was met with little resistance and was openly welcomed by some Iraqi citizens. Petraeus said the U.S. military had played only a support role in the operation.

Petraeus pointed to other positive developments and predicted that Sunni factions that had quit the Iraqi central government would return, aiding the reconciliation process.

The general's comments were in sharp contrast to those he made before the committee just six weeks ago, when he declined to predict when or if any further troop drawdowns could be made after those already planned leading up to July.

The mood among senators from both parties was also markedly more optimistic than it was in April, when the senators expressed skepticism about the war's progress.

"Tough fights and hard work lie ahead," Petraeus told the committee. "Nonetheless, I believe that the path we are on will best help achieve the objective of an Iraq that is at peace with itself and its neighbors, (and) that is an ally in the war on terror."

Petraeus, who, if confirmed, will command U.S. military forces in the CENTCOM region, covering 27 nations in the Middle East and Central Asia, including both Iraq and Afghanistan, appeared with Lt. Gen. Raymond Odierno, his current deputy, who has been nominated to succeed him as commander of the U.S.-led Multi-National Force-Iraq.

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    Don't bother with facts, Col Mustard will just claim you do not know what you are talking about. The lefts usual tactic is to believe every thing the enemy says and NOTHING the US says, ever, Our troops will be home for years before these retards quit belly aching.

5. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,381
    Regardless of rayboy's typical posting habits, isn't this just a wee bit unnecessary?

6. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    It's frustrating Paulitics, our troops kick ass and the left fails to acknowledge facts that the situation has improved.

7. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,381
    I think it's mostly because the left doesn't agree with the occupation to begin with. Certain "successes" that occur do not mean much to the left, as they don't agree with us having been there in the first place. I'm certainly not a lefty by very many standards, but I don't agree with the original invasion either. If we would have let Saddam run rampant and sell his oil in whatever currency he wanted to, we'd be complaining about a lot more than $4 gasoline at the pumps right now.

Although, I will give credit where it is due, and I am always glad to see improvement and less death.

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    What does success have to do with whether or not you agree that we should be there?

THat makes absolutely no sense....

9. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,381
    When you don't agree with being there to begin with, how does a handful of less deaths constitute anything to be elated about?

The word "success" here is relative.

Beyond that, I refuse to get into yet another argument about Iraq.

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Actually, "success" isn't fewer deaths, but fewer enemies. And it isn't subjective at all, it's a fact and it's a good thing, i.e., evidence that the campaign, whether you think it's right or not, is successful.