AK-47s on Miami's streets

Miami, FL (AHN) - Miami police say at least one masked gunman armed with an AK-47 assault rifle shot into a crowd of people on a street corner Friday night killing two teenagers and wounding seven others.

The shooting happened in the northwest Miami neighborhood of Liberty City on a street corner where a group of teenagers and young men were playing and watching a game of craps.

Detectives say at least one gunman opened fire with an AK-47 and ran around the corner while continuing to fire his weapon. Police say they also found rounds from a second weapon.

The victims who died were 16-year-old Brandon Mills and 18-years-old Derrick Gloster.

Miami police Chief John Timoney said homicides from assault rifles comprised 29 percent of all murders in 2008.

Update: Man With AK-47 Responsible For Friday Shooting In Miami | AHN | January 25, 2009

Was it a fully automatic weapon? I think not. And IF it were, guess what you dumb fuck? THEY are already illegal. ANY semiautomatic rifle can kill people. Semi Automatic AK-47's are no more dangerous then a Browning model used for hunting and in fact is less dangerous because it is probably a cheap ass Chinese model that you couldn't hit a BARN with at 50 paces.

Miami police Chief John Timoney said homicides from assault rifles comprised 29 percent of all murders in 2008.

Clearly the handgun industry is falling down on the job in Miami.

What has American come to when young thugs are forced to tote around assault rifles when handguns are so much more convenient?

I blame the liberals for inconveniencing these thugs.

This quote from the article kind of shocked me....

It shocked you because it's not true. I'll give them the benifit of the doubt and say it could be a typo...2.9 % nationally.

Last edited:
Was it a fully automatic weapon? I think not. And IF it were, guess what you dumb fuck? THEY are already illegal. ANY semiautomatic rifle can kill people. Semi Automatic AK-47's are no more dangerous then a Browning model used for hunting and in fact is less dangerous because it is probably a cheap ass Chinese model that you couldn't hit a BARN with at 50 paces.

Yes RGS, if was a fully automatic AK-47...illegal in the US since the 1930's.

This gun was illegally imported via the black market and sold to criminals.

MIAMI - Denise Grant, 34, was in the kitchen of her third-floor apartment across the street when she heard gunshots. "It was like ba-ba-ba-ba-bam and then blam, blam, blam," she said...

About a hundred green markers, indicating bullet shells, were scattered across Northwest 14th Avenue...

Yes RGS, if was a fully automatic AK-47...illegal in the US since the 1930's.

This gun was illegally imported via the black market and sold to criminals.

MIAMI - Denise Grant, 34, was in the kitchen of her third-floor apartment across the street when she heard gunshots. "It was like ba-ba-ba-ba-bam and then blam, blam, blam," she said...

About a hundred green markers, indicating bullet shells, were scattered across Northwest 14th Avenue...

Then no need for any special laws to be created. Fully Automatic weapons are the most heavily regulated firearms in the Country and have been since at least 1934. While only 17 States outright bar them in order to own one in the other States one must apply for and pay for a Federal License and heavy background check. I believe the license is around 700 dollars or more now.

Further you must have a license for every fully automatic weapon you own. You must keep the Government informed of where the weapon is stored at all times. If you are going to travel over night with it I believe you have to inform them also.

Much to do about nothing.

I was informed, sometime around 1972, that the civilian semiautomatic AR-15 is easily converted into a full auto weapon.

We've got TWO gunnies here, who, I presume can tell me whether or not that is true.

I was informed, sometime around 1972, that the civilian semiautomatic AR-15 is easily converted into a full auto weapon.

We've got TWO gunnies here, who, I presume can tell me whether or not that is true.

I have no idea. All I know is it is 100% illegal. That was enough for me. I've never looked into it.

Any M-16 knockoff that uses M-16 parts just needs a sear added or modified. Further the original AR-15 is prone to malfunctions that let it temporarily fire full auto.

However just being a Gunny in the Marine Corps gives no one special information on this particular case, other than the fact all that is missing is the right sear.

Miami, FL (AHN) - Miami police say at least one masked gunman armed with an AK-47 assault rifle shot into a crowd of people on a street corner Friday night killing two teenagers and wounding seven others.

The shooting happened in the northwest Miami neighborhood of Liberty City on a street corner where a group of teenagers and young men were playing and watching a game of craps.

Do you think this is a new situation, Chris? I've worked in this part of Miami as part of my job responsibilities, and this has been going on for at least the last 20 years.

A lot of these weapons are trafficked into the U.S. via Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and Jamaica. There is quite a flourishing illegal arms trafficking market within the Caribbean and S. Florida.

Last edited:

Any M-16 knockoff that uses M-16 parts just needs a sear added or modified. Further the original AR-15 is prone to malfunctions that let it temporarily fire full auto.

However just being a Gunny in the Marine Corps gives no one special information on this particular case, other than the fact all that is missing is the right sear.

It doesn't? My mistake, then.

I thought that part of your training to become a gunny was as a weapons expert.

I guess I'm confusing rank with ratings, aren't I?

Chris is posting this article as a means to bolster his belief that legal firearms sales should be more heavily regulated and/or even prohibited in the U.S. The problem with using THIS case, in that way, is that these firearms weren't acquired legally. In fact, they probably weren't even acquired in the U.S. They are part of the underground, illegal gun market that already ignores our laws on the books in regards to guns.

Guess what? Criminals don't follow firearms laws. Shockers. In particular, organized crime groups operating multinationally across several different countries don't follow our laws. They exist to SUBVERT our laws, and cracking down only gives them more power, and expands these illegal markets.

So, the kinds of regulations Chris likes to promote would have NO impact on cases like this...except to make things worse.

Last edited:
Chris is posting this article as a means to bolster his belief that legal firearms sales should be more heavily regulated and/or even prohibited in the U.S. The problem with using THIS case, in that way, is that these firearms weren't acquired legally. In fact, they probably weren't even acquired in the U.S. They are part of the underground, illegal gun market that already ignores our laws on the books in regards to guns.

Guess what? Criminals don't follow firearms laws. Shockers. In particular, organized crime groups operating multinationally across several different countries don't follow our laws. They exist to SUBVERT our laws, and cracking down only gives them more power, and expands these illegal markets.

So, the kinds of regulations Chris likes to promote would have NO impact on cases like this...except to make things worse.

I never said anything about regulations in this particular case. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I just think that we should be more concerned about things like this, than 20 guys in a cave in Pakistan. I would much rather we spent our money cracking down on gangs in this country.

I never said anything about regulations in this particular case. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Your views on gun laws are well-documented.

I just think that we should be more concerned about things like this than 20 guys in a cave in Pakistan. I would much rather we spent our money cracking down on gangs in this country.

Actually, Miami is a great illustration of how criminal groups, operating outside of our national jurisdiction, can cause incredible amounts of harm inside the U.S. Our southern border with Mexico is another example.

Your views on gun laws are well-documented.

I just think that we should be more concerned about things like this than 20 guys in a cave in Pakistan. I would much rather we spent our money cracking down on gangs in this country.

Actually, Miami is a great illustration of how criminal groups, operating outside of our national jurisdiction, can cause incredible amounts of harm inside the U.S. Our southern border with Mexico is another example.

Your apology is accepted.

I never said anything about this particular case. No one knows who this person was or how they got this gun.

I think we should bring the troops home and put them on the Mexican border, and we should stop wasting resources on the bogus "war on terror" and spend them on these gangs. They are a much greater threat.

It doesn't? My mistake, then.

I thought that part of your training to become a gunny was as a weapons expert.

I guess I'm confusing rank with ratings, aren't I?

You are thinking of a Different rank, a Gunner is a Warrant Officer rank they got rid of and brought back, their job is to be the Battalion, Regiment, Brigade Commander's duty expert on all things weapon related.

failbeaver.jpg

Forum List

Back