AK-47s on Miami's streets

Allowing an escalating small arms race in America has deadly implications:

Local police say the numbers of murders committed with assault weapons has been steadily rising since the ban expired on Sept. 13, 2004. Now that they're more readily available, assault rifles have become more common, Miami Police Chief John Timoney said.

''It's become fashionable if you will,'' he said. ``It's the weapon of choice.''

In the city of Miami, 20 percent of murders this year were committed with assault weapons, up from 4 percent in 2004.

The Mayor of Miami-Dade shares the sentiments of Miami Chief Timoney:

Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez, a former police officer and police director, can't hide his anger when he talks about the assault weapons his officers are facing.

''While I feel very strongly about the Second Amendment, I don't think that our founding fathers had AK-47s in mind,'' he said. `

`There's absolutely no reason I can see having these weapons out on the street.''

Gun Guys » In Miami, Assault Weapons are Killing Residents at a Record Rate
that mayor is an idiot, that is exactly what the founders had in mind
it was to protect against an overbearing government

The "founding fathers" also owned slaves.

If you're going to play that game, Hitler and Stalin took away citizens' guns. How does it feel to be in that company?

I was informed, sometime around 1972, that the civilian semiautomatic AR-15 is easily converted into a full auto weapon.

We've got TWO gunnies here, who, I presume can tell me whether or not that is true.

Change the sear. Requires a mimimum amount of mechanical skills and a minimal amount of gunsmith knowledge. Easy is a relative terms. Most firearms I have seen taken from criminals aren't even cleaned.

All of which is irrelevant to the fact this was an AK-47. I don't know how easy it is to convert that to fully auto -- matter of fact, I believe they to be converted to SA only to be legally imported.

Liberty City

Can't say I am surprised when this happened.

Liberty City

Can't say I am surprised when this happened.

Bad neighborhood?

Libertty City was a bad neighborhood when I was a teenager in the 70s. I can't imagine it's cleaned itself up. Although, in 1980, its residents did burn it mostly to the ground in protest because they were too "smart" to figure out to not burn up their own shit.:lol:

Chris is posting this article as a means to bolster his belief that legal firearms sales should be more heavily regulated and/or even prohibited in the U.S. The problem with using THIS case, in that way, is that these firearms weren't acquired legally. In fact, they probably weren't even acquired in the U.S. They are part of the underground, illegal gun market that already ignores our laws on the books in regards to guns.

Guess what? Criminals don't follow firearms laws. Shockers. In particular, organized crime groups operating multinationally across several different countries don't follow our laws. They exist to SUBVERT our laws, and cracking down only gives them more power, and expands these illegal markets.

So, the kinds of regulations Chris likes to promote would have NO impact on cases like this...except to make things worse.

Becuase Chris doesn't care how much he has to twist or omit the facts to support his skewed agenda.

Chris is posting this article as a means to bolster his belief that legal firearms sales should be more heavily regulated and/or even prohibited in the U.S. The problem with using THIS case, in that way, is that these firearms weren't acquired legally. In fact, they probably weren't even acquired in the U.S. They are part of the underground, illegal gun market that already ignores our laws on the books in regards to guns.

Guess what? Criminals don't follow firearms laws. Shockers. In particular, organized crime groups operating multinationally across several different countries don't follow our laws. They exist to SUBVERT our laws, and cracking down only gives them more power, and expands these illegal markets.

So, the kinds of regulations Chris likes to promote would have NO impact on cases like this...except to make things worse.

Becuase Chris doesn't care how much he has to twist or omit the facts to support his skewed agenda.

say it ain't so!

I never said anything about regulations in this particular case. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I just think that we should be more concerned about things like this, than 20 guys in a cave in Pakistan. I would much rather we spent our money cracking down on gangs in this country.

Right. So those 20 guys (an absurdly understated number, btw -- but par for the course with you) can quit worrying about being blown up and get back to planning what they want to blow up next.

It doesn't? My mistake, then.

I thought that part of your training to become a gunny was as a weapons expert.

I guess I'm confusing rank with ratings, aren't I?

You are thinking of a Different rank, a Gunner is a Warrant Officer rank they got rid of and brought back, their job is to be the Battalion, Regiment, Brigade Commander's duty expert on all things weapon related.

No, I was just flat out wrong, but thanks for creating a plausible excuse for my ignorance, anyway.

A line GySgt (grunt) is in fact knowledgable of all weapons his platoon carries, and the proper employment of each in both offensive and defensive applications. Basic knowledge is pretty much limited to Echelon one maintenance which is basic breakdown and care of a weapon. Only armorers are authorized to break weapons down past echelon one. Replacing a sear is is repair; which, only the armorer is authorized to do.

My question is, How is it that assault rifles were the murder weapon in 28% of Miami's homicides last year?

These are military weapons. How is that possible?

The preferred weapon of the Third World manufactured cheaply and exported all over the globe?

How hard do you think it is to get a boat from South America to Miami with miles upon miles of swamp to offload in?

But then, you either already know that answer and are being purposefully obtuse, or youo're too ignorant to be posting on this topic.

The fact you omit is that murders with assault rifles have risen quite a bit since the the assault weapons ban expired. There is no legitimate need for these military weapons. They should be banned.

And please no more whinning about "our guns will be banned." There are 200 million guns in private hands in this country. No one is going to ban guns, just military weapons that have no place in civilian hands.

The fact you omit is that murders with assault rifles have risen quite a bit since the the assault weapons ban expired. There is no legitimate need for these military weapons. They should be banned.

And please no more whinning about "our guns will be banned." There are 200 million guns in private hands in this country. No one is going to ban guns, just military weapons that have no place in civilian hands.

Once again for the cheap seats, machine guns have been illegal since 1934.

Converting any weapon to an unlicensed machine gun has been illegal since 1968.

Military weapons are fully automatic.

Once again you...

failbike1.jpg

Thanks for the neg rep, feel free to give me some more anytime. :)

Once again you...

failbike1.jpg

On what legal grounds did they make machine guns illegal?

Once again you...

failbike1.jpg

I am happy to neg rep anyone that insults people without making a point.

Weapons with magazines over 10 rounds should be banned as well as those that are automatic. Of course the gun makers do everything they can to get around the ban, as they did in the 1990's.

Once again, these military weapons have no more business being legal than bazookas do.

Once again you...

failbike1.jpg

Weapons with magazines over 10 rounds should be banned as well as those that are automatic. Of course the gun makers do everything they can to get around the ban, as they did in the 1990's.

Once again, these military weapons have no more business being legal than bazookas do.

have some neg rep, chrissie.

Once again you...

failbike1.jpg

ouch, that will hurt
LOL

ouch, that will hurt
LOL

nah, chrissie hasn't evolved enough to feel pain.

Chief Timoney said it had become apparent over the last year that Miami officers needed the option of more powerful weapons.

The Miami Police Department said 15 of its 79 homicides last year involved assault weapons. This year, 12 of the 60 homicides have involved the high-power guns.

In the shooting on Thursday, a man opened fire on four Miami-Dade County police officers with an assault rifle during a traffic stop, killing one of the officers and injuring the other three. Police killed the man hours later.

Officers using the weapons in Miami will shoot bullets designed to shatter after they have hit something to avoid striking bystanders or other unintended targets.

Not all officers may choose to carry the new weapon. But Chief Timoney said, “If I was a police officer out there in a tough neighborhood, I would want to have that in the car.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/17/us/17miami.html

Chief Timoney said it had become apparent over the last year that Miami officers needed the option of more powerful weapons.

The Miami Police Department said 15 of its 79 homicides last year involved assault weapons. This year, 12 of the 60 homicides have involved the high-power guns.

In the shooting on Thursday, a man opened fire on four Miami-Dade County police officers with an assault rifle during a traffic stop, killing one of the officers and injuring the other three. Police killed the man hours later.

Officers using the weapons in Miami will shoot bullets designed to shatter after they have hit something to avoid striking bystanders or other unintended targets.

Not all officers may choose to carry the new weapon. But Chief Timoney said, “If I was a police officer out there in a tough neighborhood, I would want to have that in the car.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/17/us/17miami.html
hey dumbass, you already posted that
:lol:

Forum List

Back