Air pollution a leading cause of cancer - U.N. agency

How is creating more poverty going to help?

How exactly does taking steps to abates cancer result in creating poverty? Have you examples of how once a place got cleaned up, the property values and economic opportunity disapeared?

Does environmental clean up really create poverty? Why are the poorest places on the planet also the dirtiest while all of the wealthiest the cleanest?

Yeah. America -- 20th century.. Great example of creating poverty and loss of wealth and productivity.

See that box in my footer? THOUSANDS of small American Craft Shoppes put out of biz when the Feds slap costly testing requirements on handmade toy trains and Noah's Arks. A new design can cost $20K in testing fees. EVEN IF -- there is no toxic material in its construction.. The TOY GIANT THAT STARTED THIS WHOLE mess -- Mattel?? That off-shored the bulk of its work? Gets an exemption from the corrupt Federal/Corporate collusion network.

Silicon Valley.. I left it -- many of my clients left it. Because Cali couldn't keep the lights on.
Their so-called "deregulation" PROHIBITED electricity providers like PGE from owning generation. It got sold to greedy out of state owners.. The "deregulation" OUTLAWED long term contracts. So that the State of Cali had to wake up every morning WITHOUT POWER and beg and borrow the last scraps available on the market. No wonder Enron WARNED THEM not to do it..

Silicon Valley also lost its miraculous ability to innovate. Because it couldn't sustain the THOUSANDS of new companies being born under the regulatory load. By the time you got your start-up in compliance with the Feds and Cali --- you forgot what you set out to accomplish and had pissed away your venture capital on lawyers and compliance consultants.

Want more of the same? Want the giant CORPS to sleep well at night knowing that no matter HOW BADLY they behave or screw consumers that there will be no young innovators nipping at their heels because the cost to enter the market are too high?

Keep up insisting on braindead INCREASES in compliance and regulation..

Putting restraints on capitalism to protect the populace from harmful pollution, unsafe products does not create poverty.

How exactly does taking steps to abates cancer result in creating poverty? Have you examples of how once a place got cleaned up, the property values and economic opportunity disapeared?

Does environmental clean up really create poverty? Why are the poorest places on the planet also the dirtiest while all of the wealthiest the cleanest?

Yeah. America -- 20th century.. Great example of creating poverty and loss of wealth and productivity.

See that box in my footer? THOUSANDS of small American Craft Shoppes put out of biz when the Feds slap costly testing requirements on handmade toy trains and Noah's Arks. A new design can cost $20K in testing fees. EVEN IF -- there is no toxic material in its construction.. The TOY GIANT THAT STARTED THIS WHOLE mess -- Mattel?? That off-shored the bulk of its work? Gets an exemption from the corrupt Federal/Corporate collusion network.

Silicon Valley.. I left it -- many of my clients left it. Because Cali couldn't keep the lights on.
Their so-called "deregulation" PROHIBITED electricity providers like PGE from owning generation. It got sold to greedy out of state owners.. The "deregulation" OUTLAWED long term contracts. So that the State of Cali had to wake up every morning WITHOUT POWER and beg and borrow the last scraps available on the market. No wonder Enron WARNED THEM not to do it..

Silicon Valley also lost its miraculous ability to innovate. Because it couldn't sustain the THOUSANDS of new companies being born under the regulatory load. By the time you got your start-up in compliance with the Feds and Cali --- you forgot what you set out to accomplish and had pissed away your venture capital on lawyers and compliance consultants.

Want more of the same? Want the giant CORPS to sleep well at night knowing that no matter HOW BADLY they behave or screw consumers that there will be no young innovators nipping at their heels because the cost to enter the market are too high?

Putting restraints on capitalism to protect the populace from harmful pollution, unsafe products does not create poverty.

It sure as hell does, especially the absurd regulations that eco nut-burgers insist on.

Tell that to the thousands of handmade toy makers in this country that cannot compete with Mattel and their offshored labor and government WAIVERS. NOT because kids were dying from playing with wooden toys made in the US..

Tell that to the Printed Circuit Board manufacturers, the electronic component manufacturers and the COMPLETE SUPPLY CHAIN of the electronics industry that used to employs 100s of thousands in this country.. Or the PAPER industry..

To stand there and make an assertion that regs and compliance played no role.. Makes you a first class denier..

I just got a letter from the Feds asking me to fill out multipage forms on my firms' use of "conflict minerals".. Had to look it up.. Think I got the resources of an IBM???

This crap empowers the lethargic giants and kills off their young eager competition with BETTER products and services.. You want MORE consolidation of jobs and industry? Keep it up...

Last edited:
Putting restraints on capitalism to protect the populace from harmful pollution [and] unsafe products does not create poverty.

Tell that to the thousands of handmade toy makers in this country that cannot compete with Mattel and their offshored labor and government WAIVERS. NOT because kids were dying from playing with wooden toys made in the US..

Tell that to the Printed Circuit Board manufacturers, the electronic component manufacturers and the COMPLETE SUPPLY CHAIN of the electronics industry that used to employs 100s of thousands in this country.. Or the PAPER industry..

To stand there and make an assertion that regs and compliance played no role.. Makes you a first class denier..

I just got a letter from the Feds asking me to fill out multipage forms on my firms' use of "conflict minerals".. Had to look it up.. Think I got the resources of an IBM???

This crap empowers the lethargic giants and kills off their young eager competition with BETTER products and services.. You want MORE consolidation of jobs and industry? Keep it up...

The thousands of handmade toy makers? This is another good example of you thinking that your issues are a lot more universal than the rest of the world would conclude.

There is a big difference between creating poverty and allowing unchecked capitalism. And every law that protects American workers from physical and chemical hazards at the work place is a piece of the job that the American government is supposed to be doing: working to protect the welfare of its citizens.

Thousands of handmade toy makers... for god's sake. Is that a significant demographic?

Last edited:
Putting restraints on capitalism to protect the populace from harmful pollution [and] unsafe products does not create poverty.

The thousands of handmade toy makers? This is another good example of you thinking that your issues are a lot more universal than the rest of the world would conclude.

Thousands of handmade toy makers... for god's sake. Is that a significant demographic?

Hey --- FUCK 'em.. And FUCK transvestites because they are not a "significant demographic".. And FUCK the paper industry or the HUNDREDS of supporting suppliers for the electronics biz that couldn't or wouldn't put up with the regulation bullshit.. THERE'S the universal Leftist compassion that we're all so jealous of..

ENTIRE CLASSES of products and manufacturing that don't create jobs in the USA anymore.

There is a big difference between creating poverty and allowing unchecked capitalism. And every law that protects American workers from physical and chemical hazards at the work place is a piece of the job that the American government is supposed to be doing: working to protect the welfare of its citizens.

Then you have crap like this UN brainfart in the OP.. Where PROTECTING people is no longer BASED on science and health metrics --- but sheer emotion and dogma..
If it's TOO HARD for your statist warriors to do this "welfare protection" the CORRECT way -- then too damn bad.. ALL OF THIS "help" needs to be analyzed and justified.

Not just asserted by force and edict...

Typical liberal attitude. Tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of jobs aren't important if they get in the way of the liberal agenda, even if that agenda is totally absurd and pointless.

I recall Hillary saying, in response to the impact the cost of her healthcare program would have on small businesses, "we can't be held responsible for every under-capitalized business in the country." The bitch didn't even care, and neither do you.

Now China, India and the rest of the world needs to do the same ;) The market can improve our world for the better.

223K lung cancer cases/yr divided by 7Bill people === 32 cases/million/yr.
In the US by it's lonesome ---- probably 1/2 that rate.
NOT confirmed mind you.. But assumed..

And they TELL US --- we don't need to analyze WHAT or HOW the individual pollutants act on this number..

Anti-Science from the SOURCE of anti-science --- the UN...

The air in Beijing is far worse than any I have ever encountered in the US. The air inside my house is wonderful. I had a Honeywell electronic filter put on my heat and air system. I only have to dust every 3 months.

...more like ammunition to kill and bury hydrocarbons. And jobs. And commerce. And GDP. And balance of payments. U.S. emissions are near a 20-year low thanks primarily to the increased use of natural gas. "Green" technologies are not without environmental consequences and you know it.
So cancer is merely the cost of doing business? People should accept getting sick and dying because profits are more important?

The RISK of getting cancer is part of 1) being alive and 2)part of being in a modern technological society. Consdering that all this technology has reduced alot of the other things that used to kill us, infectious diseases, infected wounds, large predatory mammals, cancer risk is the result of longer lives and less other ways of becoming dead.

And bottom line, no one know what CAUSES cancer. There are some strong correlations, but no proof that any one thing actually CAUSES cancer.

Typical liberal attitude. Tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of jobs aren't important if they get in the way of the liberal agenda, even if that agenda is totally absurd and pointless.

I recall Hillary saying, in response to the impact the cost of her healthcare program would have on small businesses, "we can't be held responsible for every under-capitalized business in the country." The bitch didn't even care, and neither do you.

Bless you -- one fingered child --- for remembering that freaking Hillary quote..

Goes into the books with her Xmas commercial giving stuff FOR FREE as GIFTS to her favorite consitutients.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzBvQ9EeF3k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzBvQ9EeF3k[/ame]

Or statements like ---
Speaking today at the DNC's winter meeting, she let that same Hillary-knows-best side show:

"The other day the oil companies recorded the highest profits in the history of the world. I want to take those profits. And I want to put them into a strategic energy fund that will begin to fund alternative smart energy, alternatives and technologies that will actually begin to move us in the direction of independence.

Read more: Hillary's Oil Industry Threat: 'I Want to Take Those Profits' | NewsBusters

Quiz --- WHERE did she want to spend it? "alternative smart energy", "alternatives and technology" --- Good plan Comrade..
TAKING AND GIVING --- that's what Leftists do.. When they are not telling me "I didn't build that"...
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah -- that's a prescription for wealth and prosperity.. Dismantle the deep pockets one by one.. Then Leftist annointed like Hilliary and Obama can be the ONE and ONLY Santa Claus in your grandkid's lives...

Last edited:
What insane attitude do you believe we support? Your syntax does not make it clear.
What we do as consumers has a more profound effect on not only our country, but indeed globally than any other act we can do as individuals. Voting pales in comparison to the combined effect of how Americans consume products/services.
By constantly choosing the cheapest price, as a nation we have encouraged, no, demanded that manufacturers lower unit costs. And the most effective way to lower this is to lower labor expense.
We consume Chinese products by the cartload because they basically use slave labor to make the products. People work between 12-16 hours per day in many factories at extraordinary low wages and pitiful benefits. (currently, China's youth are growing up to resent this and labor is just beginning to organize...and when that happens - manufacturers will move elsewhere)
So buy choosing Chinese products, we support the Chinese abuse of its citizenry as well as their total lack of concern for the environment.

That may be true to some extent, but it did not appear to be the case when I was there. They keep their dollar the yuan low in comparison to the US dollar, which is how they can work what seems to us to be cheaply. Their buying power is about the same as ours. Based upon the 8:1 exchange rate when I was there their nurses were very well paid, and had very little to spend their money on because the hospital provided room, board, and work clothes.

And they TELL US --- we don't need to analyze WHAT or HOW the individual pollutants act on this number..

The air in Beijing is far worse than any I have ever encountered in the US. The air inside my house is wonderful. I had a Honeywell electronic filter put on my heat and air system. I only have to dust every 3 months.

Free Gubmint electronic air filters for EVERYONE... But dusting is good cardio work..

I may have missed it, but weren't you going to give us a quote from the IARC report supporting this accusation? What with the report under discussion being a metastudy of over 1,000 reports concerning the effects of specific pollutants, I have a really, really hard time accepting this statement of yours. And since it was pointed out to you several days ago that this is a metastudy of other studies that DO discuss specific pollutants, I do not know how you could not know this to be a false statement.

Last edited:

I may have missed it, but weren't you going to give us a quote from the IARC report supporting this accusation?

Never promised that.. Merely pointed out that I couldn't fix your reading comprehension problems..

You really can't find "relevent quotes" in that article? What did the author(s) state was UNIQUE about this study?

I'm strongly in favor of YOU discovering my CORRECT interpretation of why this "news article" exists.. And how irresponsible the assertions are..

You think a metastudy of over 1,000 other peer reviewed studies is "irrresonsible".

Why? Afraid it might actually have some effect?

Free Gubmint electronic air filters for EVERYONE... But dusting is good cardio work..

I have pulmonary hypertension, a terminal lung disease caused by blood clots going to my lungs after surgery. The electronic air filter is the difference in life and death for me. My pulmonologist has one in his house as well, and he doesn't have any lung problems that I know of. If you have allergies the electronic filter will be a godsend for you. It removes 99% of the dust, pollen, and mold in the house. Now try to understand things on a broader level.

You think a metastudy of over 1,000 other peer reviewed studies is "irrresonsible".

Why? Afraid it might actually have some effect?

You still do not comprehend that the "relevence" of this study lies in their irresponsible and anti-science conclusions.. Lemme finally fix your reading comp.. problem since you were unable to that even with hints..

From the IARC link that you provided...

The IARC Monographs Programme, dubbed the “encyclopaedia of carcinogens”, provides an authoritative source of scientific evidence on cancer-causing substances and exposures. In the past, the Programme evaluated many individual chemicals and specific mixtures that occur in outdoor air pollution. These included diesel engine exhaust, solvents, metals, and dusts. But this is the first time that experts have classified outdoor air pollution as a cause of cancer.

“Our task was to evaluate the air everyone breathes rather than focus on specific air pollutants,” explains Dr Dana Loomis, Deputy Head of the Monographs Section. “The results from the reviewed studies point in the same direction: the risk of developing lung cancer is significantly increased in people exposed to air pollution.”

THAT --- is irresponsible.. To BYPASS the wealth of knowledge on SPECIFIC CAUSALITY and epidemological studies to make a USELESS SWEEPING generalization..

Just unneccessary and bad science.. Unless you're trying to EXPEDITE a more OBSCURE conclusion and hasty public policy...
Nothing NEW here except for deconstructing science. You have a problem with my objection??

Last edited:

I have pulmonary hypertension, a terminal lung disease caused by blood clots going to my lungs after surgery. The electronic air filter is the difference in life and death for me. My pulmonologist has one in his house as well, and he doesn't have any lung problems that I know of. If you have allergies the electronic filter will be a godsend for you. It removes 99% of the dust, pollen, and mold in the house. Now try to understand things on a broader level.

There are more energy efficient ways to do the same thing, like air to air heat exchanges.

We have to be optimisitic about pollution. If most of the chinese die of pollution we won't owe them as much.

Actually, that's understanding things on a much narrower level. YOUR very narrow level.

There is really no reason for a concept of equality to have everyone use an air filter, or for air to be so pure (it can't be in any case) that air filters are not necessary.

People who are severely allergic to peanuts would much rather live in a world free of peanuts, where no one could have them. That way they wouldn't have to guard against inadvertent ingestion of the dangerous peanut. It just doesn't make any sense for the millions and millions of people who have no peanut allergy.

Forum List

Back