After Neil Peart, who was the next best drummer of all time.

Next to Neil Peart, who's #2 ?

• John Bonham

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Keith Moon

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Steve Gadd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ginger Baker

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Buddy Rich

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Alex Van Halen

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Mike Portnoy

• Mike Mangini

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Terry Bozzio

• Ian Paice

• Phil Collins

• Chester Thompson

• Other...

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
Phil Collins was an incredible drummer who handled songs written in weird time signatures with ease while with Genesis during the Gabriel era. I love his work on the last part of Supper's Ready which was written in 9/8. Too bad he turned to such schlock in the '70s and '80s.

Ginger Baker is the most overrated drummer of all time.

One of my favorite drummers few here have heard of is Pip Pyle who was active in the prog Canterbury scene.
Ginger Baker overrated? Are you kidding me? Have you listened to any of Cream's music? Just fantastic playing.
I grew up listening to Cream.

And who would be an example of underrated ?

Ginger Baker overrated? Are you kidding me? Have you listened to any of Cream's music? Just fantastic playing.

I'd ALMOST call Bill Bruford underrated because I don't think a lot of people know who he is. Unfortunately he officially retired from performing live a few years ago.

Some old school metal drummers that should deserve mentioning.
( I'm not talking death metal or newer bands like A7X, Tool, 5fdp....Dave Lombardo clones I call them)
Nicko McBrain
Nick Menza
Vinnie Abbott (rip)
Lars Ulrich
Scott Travis

I'd ALMOST call Bill Bruford underrated because I don't think a lot of people know who he is. Unfortunately he officially retired from performing live a few years ago.

I was lucky enough to see him with King Crimson in the middle '70s.

Wow, I would've loved to have seen that version of King Crimson live. Unfortunately I didn't become a Crimson fan until the late 1980's. I've only seen them once, I believe in 1995, when they toured with their "double trio" of two guitarists, two bass/stick players and two drummers. Bruford was part of this. It was a fantastic show, LOUD, but amazing.

Wow, I would've loved to have seen that version of King Crimson live. Unfortunately I didn't become a Crimson fan until the late 1980's. I've only seen them once, I believe in 1995, when they toured with their "double trio" of two guitarists, two bass/stick players and two drummers. Bruford was part of this. It was a fantastic show, LOUD, but amazing.

Robert Fripp and Greg Lake? I think some of King Crimson ended up in the band "Foreigner". If you listen to their first album you can hear the influence. Woodwind instruments etc.

The version I saw had David cross on violin and John Wetton on Bass, Fripp, of course, and Bruford. I can't remember if there were any others.

Fripp was sitting off to the extreme side of the stage on a folding chair and hardly visible.

Robert Fripp and Greg Lake? I think some of King Crimson ended up in the band "Foreigner". If you listen to their first album you can hear the influence. Woodwind instruments etc.

Yep, Ian Macdonald, not sure on the spelling of his last name, an early King Crimson member, was in Foreigner. And Greg Lake, a Crimson member on their first two albums, of course went on to fame when he Emerson and Palmer formed Emerson, Lake and Palmer. And Boz Burrell, an early member of Crimson, went on to join Bad Company, which was led by Paul Rodgers.

The version I saw had David cross on violin and John Wetton on Bass, Fripp, of course, and Bruford. I can't remember if there were any others.

Fripp was sitting off to the extreme side of the stage on a folding chair and hardly visible.

THAT was an amazing lineup!

They were great.

With Fripp being the very antithesis of a showman, they didn't really have much stage presence, and Wetton was the only one who said anything which was very little. They just played.

Later on, when they had Adrien Belew, he liked the spotlight a little more, but they were kind of the opposite of your typical theatrical Prog bands.

The closest I came to King Crimson was seeing Yes ( Alan White era) twice and Asia (Carl Palmer) one time in the 70's.

That reminds me of some bands that had good drummers but I can't remember their names without looking them up, like-- Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Kansas, Queen, Motorhead.

They were great.

With Fripp being the very antithesis of a showman, they didn't really have much stage presence, and Wetton was the only one who said anything which was very little. They just played.

Later on, when they had Adrien Belew, he liked the spotlight a little more, but they were kind of the opposite of your typical theatrical Prog bands.
I saw Belew solo a couple of times in the early 90's. He was a lot of fun. He did all of the animal noises he does on guitar. It was fascinating to watch!

The closest I came to King Crimson was seeing Yes ( Alan White era) twice and Asia (Carl Palmer) one time in the 70's.

That reminds me of some bands that had good drummers but I can't remember their names without looking them up, like-- Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Kansas, Queen, Motorhead.
Yes was amazing. I saw them in 1972 when they were at their height. I saw Palmer in 1971 with ELP, too.

Damn, that was a long time ago!

Yep, Ian Macdonald, not sure on the spelling of his last name, an early King Crimson member, was in Foreigner. And Greg Lake, a Crimson member on their first two albums, of course went on to fame when he Emerson and Palmer formed Emerson, Lake and Palmer. And Boz Burrell, an early member of Crimson, went on to join Bad Company, which was led by Paul Rodgers.

I checked the spelling, it's Ian McDonald. He's 73 years old now and he still performs live, predominantly in the UK.

Forum List

Back