After Neil Peart, who was the next best drummer of all time.

Next to Neil Peart, who's #2 ?

• John Bonham

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Keith Moon

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Steve Gadd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ginger Baker

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Buddy Rich

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Alex Van Halen

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Mike Portnoy

• Mike Mangini

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Terry Bozzio

• Ian Paice

• Phil Collins

• Chester Thompson

• Other...

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
This is just a list off the top of my head, so I'm including the 'other' option
for the ones I left off. And sorry ladies. I guess it's a 'guy thing' or maybe I just don't know of many famous female drummers.

All due respect to the great ones on the list, Mike Portnoy has to be my next choice after Neil.
So naturally some will argue there are or were better ones than Neil Peart....maybe so.

There could be some 15 year old kid in Madagascar playing animal bones
who blows everyone away.

Last edited:
for the ones I left off. And sorry ladies. I guess it's a 'guy thing' or maybe I just don't know of many famous female drummers.

All due respect to the great ones on the list, Mike Portnoy is my choice by far.

Sorry, not even going with "after Pert".

Also Bill Bruford, Bill Ward and
Nick Mason from Pink Floyd are great drummers.
His work on Dark Side was pretty cutting edge stuff in 1973.

He's 75 btw, racing cars as a hobby and different things.
220px-Nick_Mason_Goodwood_Festival_of_Speed_2016_001.jpg

Last edited:

All due respect to the great ones on the list, Mike Portnoy has to be my next choice after Neil.
So naturally some will argue there are or were better ones than Neil Peart....maybe so.

There could be some 15 year old kid in Madagascar playing animal bones
who blows everyone away.

Nice list! Bonham is MY #1, Moon is #2 and Peart is my #3. Rounding out my top 5 - Bill Bruford #4, he did some great drumming for Yes and King Crimson and other bands. Ginger Baker #5, his work with Cream was astounding.

Phil Collins was an incredible drummer who handled songs written in weird time signatures with ease while with Genesis during the Gabriel era. I love his work on the last part of Supper's Ready which was written in 9/8. Too bad he turned to such schlock in the '70s and '80s.

Ginger Baker is the most overrated drummer of all time.

One of my favorite drummers few here have heard of is Pip Pyle who was active in the prog Canterbury scene.

Phil Collins was an incredible drummer who handled songs written in weird time signatures with ease while with Genesis during the Gabriel era. I love his work on the last part of Supper's Ready which was written in 9/8. Too bad he turned to such schlock in the '70s and '80s.

Ginger Baker is the most overrated drummer of all time.

One of my favorite drummers few here have heard of is Pip Pyle who was active in the prog Canterbury scene.
Ginger Baker overrated? Are you kidding me? Have you listened to any of Cream's music? Just fantastic playing.

Forum List

Back