Affleck Sorry For Censoring Family Slave Past

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Actor Ben Affleck has said he is sorry he asked the producers of a documentary on his ancestors to leave out information that one was a slave owner.

The Oscar-winner's ancestry was traced by Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr - Skip - for an episode of Finding Your Roots, a programme featuring celebrities made by the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and similar to Britain's Who Do You Think You Are?.

Affleck said he had made the request because he felt awkward about what he had discovered.

Affleck Sorry For Censoring Family Slave Past LBC

The only thing he's sorry about is that it came out and his "white privilege" was shot to hell

Actor Ben Affleck has said he is sorry he asked the producers of a documentary on his ancestors to leave out information that one was a slave owner.

The Oscar-winner's ancestry was traced by Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr - Skip - for an episode of Finding Your Roots, a programme featuring celebrities made by the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and similar to Britain's Who Do You Think You Are?.

Affleck said he had made the request because he felt awkward about what he had discovered.

We have no control over who our ancestors were. Isn't anything to be embarassed over.

He is a sorry person

His movies should be shunned he thinks he has a right to censor information.

The only thing he's sorry about is that it came out and his "white privilege" was shot to hell

"White privilege" has nothing to do with one's ancestors owning slaves. Or even being slaves.

We already did this, but you go on and trot out the same blarney expecting different results. That's so cute.

We have no control over who our ancestors were. Isn't anything to be embarassed over.

Of course not. I myself am related to Strom Thurmond. :puke:

Of course not. I myself am related to Strom Thurmond. :puke:

Sister-in-law's related to George Orwell. :) My family though is related to Pat Garett who supposedly shot and killed Billy the Kid. Some historical question of that though. :)

OOOOO Massah Affleck don't need to do that. He's a good massah. Why I member this one time he let meh eat the leftovers fro tha dog bowl.

I wonder who he was afraid of.....

It isn't "who", but 'what' he was/is afraid of: media trial by association, which could deprive him or seriously impact the lifestyle he's grown accustomed to. Direct or implied threats of depriving actors of lucrative roles is how they're kept on 'the reservation', and don't start saying things that could disrupt what has become a profitable narrative.

Why anybody would think they are responsible for their ancestors is beyond me. They were who they were, we cannot change that and only an utter idiot would hold people responsible for things out of their control.

....Of course, the utter idiots of this country outnumber those who aren't, so who knows?

I wonder when this white guilt liberal is going to pay his share of the reparations for the sins of those he had nothing to do with?

Exactly right. How would the poor boy ever live it down? Maybe live in the present.

Slave ownership is in my family history, too. My grandmother's grandfather owned slaves, and started voting Democrat after manumission, he was so upset.

It was my great great grandfather. Not me. Big deal.

I wonder who he was afraid of.....

It isn't "who", but 'what' he was/is afraid of: media trial by association, which could deprive him or seriously impact the lifestyle he's grown accustomed to. Direct or implied threats of depriving actors of lucrative roles is how they're kept on 'the reservation', and don't start saying things that could disrupt what has become a profitable narrative.

e.g. post 5.

Not even really newsworthy. But, he likely could have gotten some positive recognition by acknowledging it, stating it was the past and that it does not define who he is. He has done enough charitable work to prove that fact.

This idea about inherited wealth and privilege from one’s ancestors is fallacious. Just because one’s ancestors were wealthy does not mean that one will be. Fortunes are made and lost. There is a saying that goes, “ The first generation makes the fortune, the second generation maintains it and the third generation loses it. One is much more likely to inherit poverty than wealth, it is much easier to do.

Forum List

Back