Advice for a simple man, please.

It's also not a bad idea to lokk skeptically on those who opt out of the rep system.
This is true. I believe that no one should be able to opt out or to turn off rep display. Reputation is the only measure a new member has to judge the credibility of a member here.
Since the option to opt out became available, just one person opted out for altruistic reasons and she has decided to return to using the system.

USMB has a half dozen fairly regular members who were allowed to opt out once they had received 2, 3 or 5 red splats and another half dozen who have not opted out, but have simply turned the graphic display off.
So, what we now have is a dozen people who hide behind the board software so that it is no longer instantly apparent how they are regarded by their peers.

I say ALL members who have opted out or turned off the display should be returned to "in and on".

Sometimes being out of the rep system is punishment.

This is true. I'm thinking that at most, rep should be zeroed out for negging twice in 48 hours, not that I agree with that rule.
Negs are already half as strong as positive rep. Making it an offense for giving 2 in 48 hours ends up effectively making a neg 1/6 as powerful.

Makes one really wonder how some people acquire 5 red splats, doesn't it?

You can give up to 20 reps every 24 hours. This equals 140 rep/week. You can rep
the same person every 11th time or 12.7 times/week.
There are 168 hours in one week. 168/48 = 3.5 negs/week.

So, you can + rep someone 3.6 times as often as you can neg him at half value,
making a neg 14% as powerful as a positive rep.

Last edited:
When bayou bill hit 666 I hit him so fast with pos rep your momma wouldn't see it coming.

Truly a knee jerk reaction to a number for true. But hell's bells I went "whew" after knocking his number up.

That doesn't sound good does it. Oh well. You know what I mean.

When I joined in 2008, when a poster hit 100 rep points it was a big deal.

69 was a big deal when I joined.
You hit 69 and you wanted to give rep to everybody of the opposite sex as fast as you could before you hit 70.
I think there was an underlying double entendre

I'm pretty sure that was just you... :D

Ask MeBelle and ZoomBoing if ya don't believe me, they were around back then, so were you. Is your memory failing? :razz:

If members show no courtesy for my rep, I stop reping them..I figure they're just freeloading takers..:beer:

If members show no courtesy for my rep, I stop reping them..I figure they're just freeloading takers..:beer:

So...you weren't giving rep for rep's sake? But rather for a notion of a pat on the back?

Last edited:
When bayou bill hit 666 I hit him so fast with pos rep your momma wouldn't see it coming.

Truly a knee jerk reaction to a number for true. But hell's bells I went "whew" after knocking his number up.

That doesn't sound good does it. Oh well. You know what I mean.

I actually wanted to stop there for a while, but I went right from 664 to 668. Damn CG.

So...you weren't giving rep for rep's sake? But rather for a notion of a pat on the back?

Among other things courtesy shows good character, my kinda people.

However...if the post was worthy and deserved rep in your opinion, why wouldn't that be good enough...to give without expecting to receive?

However...if the post was worthy and deserved rep in your opinion, why wouldn't that be good enough...to give without expecting to receive?

I guess it comes down to an abundance of great members and posts, why waste my time, effort and rep on members that lack character?

I guess it comes down to an abundance of great members and posts, why waste my time, effort and rep on members that lack character?

At the risk of beating a dead horse, your response shows how rep can indeed be manipulated. If someone is outside of an individual "click"...for what ever reason they could easily be excluded of rep.

All of which makes rep virtually useless and unreliable.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, your response shows how rep can indeed be manipulated. If someone is outside of an individual "click"...for what ever reason they could easily be excluded of rep.

The people who tend to be "excluded" are those that lack character and basic courtesy.
I make it a rule to thank every positive rep if at all possible.

Why even bother machinating over it then, opt out and forget about it.

I've always found it kinda fun to be in the game myself, it seems to add some indefinable something to the USMB...:dunno:

Last edited:

If someone repeatedly doesn't thank me or acknowledge my reps to them, in any way, I feel they are trying to tell me something, e.g., they don't want my reps, so I stop repping them and and find someone who does. :D There are many good posts and posters here.

Some I wish I could rep, but they turned their rep thingy off. Some rep me and I can't thank them because they have their pm blocked and I cannot respond. I rep when someone says something I agree with or makes a lot of sense or just makes me laugh due to their wit. I also rep in return when someone reps me. I just consider the whole thing a courtesy thing...showing support or appreciation to the person....regardless of whether I "like" them or not...or whether they "like" me. Neg reps I rarely give out and only do that when someone goes really over the line, i.e. racist or bigoted remarks or just flat out being cruel. I don't see a lot of that, thankfully. Like Aqua said..there are many great posts and posters here. :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back