Adding a new drive on Ubuntu

Looking through the log file here, when I added a new external drive for our Linux File server I typed this.....

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda/mnt/2

Now yours will not be NTFS of course, but ext4
Comes back, "Can't find in fstab".
hmm...
Unhook the drive and type fdisk -l
That will show you a list of your drives.
Now hook the drive back up
And type fdisk -l
You should now see a new entry at the bottom.
If you don't then something is wrong, either physically or otherwise with the disk.

Looking online, this looks like the best walk through ---> Add new harddisk to linux system
There something funny about trying to do this after just waking up and just starting on my first cup of coffee........ I disconnected the wrong drive and tried to boot up........ :lol:
You didn't tell me I had to log in as a super user........... First feedback was "cannot open /dev /loop 0 (thru 12) with sba1 tucked in the middle (same message).
With SU it shows me all the sectors, logical/physical and I/O.
Now to plug it back in.
Ahh...yep... sudo is needed for pretty much anything to do with the system.
What was I saying about techies forgetting they were noobs once........ :D

Linux is awesome, but it is literal to a fault. You would think it would error with "this command must be made using superuser, would you like to?"... not just generic "No can do"

Looking through the log file here, when I added a new external drive for our Linux File server I typed this.....

hmm...
And type fdisk -l
If you don't then something is wrong, either physically or otherwise with the disk.

Looking online, this looks like the best walk through ---> Add new harddisk to linux system
There something funny about trying to do this after just waking up and just starting on my first cup of coffee........ I disconnected the wrong drive and tried to boot up........ :lol:
You didn't tell me I had to log in as a super user........... First feedback was "cannot open /dev /loop 0 (thru 12) with sba1 tucked in the middle (same message).
Now to plug it back in.
Maybe I should do this the easy(?) way, wipe the primary drive and reinstall Ubuntu with the secondary drive in place. :dunno:
That would work :D

At the end of the day, it is odd yuo are having this problem.
I would say for the past 10 years at least, all I had to do was power off, power back on and it would see the drive and move on. I have external drives for instance that I move files for archiving etc. I just simply pug it in USB and it just works.

hmm...
And type fdisk -l

Now to plug it back in.
Maybe I should do this the easy(?) way, wipe the primary drive and reinstall Ubuntu with the secondary drive in place. :dunno:
Or you try this one:
VidCoder 4.36 / 5.11 Beta Free Download - VideoHelp

hmm...
And type fdisk -l

Now to plug it back in.
That would work :D
I think I'll do that, spent way too much time on this already. The only real drawback to that is the time to configure it the way I want it afterwards.

I would say for the past 10 years at least, all I had to do was power off, power back on and it would see the drive and move on. I have external drives for instance that I move files for archiving etc. I just simply pug it in USB and it just works.
I did 'fdisk /dev/sdb' and I think I know what I did wrong, something someone else pointed out earlier, I didn't partition the new drive........ I would say that's a pretty good reason I can't write to it........

Partitioned and formatted, now here's where I go wrong:
"Our accessible new hard disk is at /dev/sdb5. To use it we need to mount it. Make sure that there exists a folder with ‘temp’ name (or whatever is you preferred) before you execute this command. Let’s mount and use it."
It's not working for me so obviously I don't know how to do this properly, don't know how to create a file specifically for this in terminal. :dunno:
I'm reading through the online instructions for creating a new file and I'm more confused than I was before........... I need specifics, do this, do this, do this not "here are three different ways, if you want then do this".........

Last edited:
That's the problem with a lot of Linux snobs... "if you can't use a command line then you are stupid hahaha " - kind of attitude. Which is not helpful because it is command line. And using command line - every single thing you do must be perfect.
Which is why I have used Gparted or other gui disk utility tools. ->

That's the problem with a lot of Linux snobs... "if you can't use a command line then you are stupid hahaha " - kind of attitude. Which is not helpful because it is command line. And using command line - every single thing you do must be perfect.
Which is why I have used Gparted or other gui disk utility tools. ->

It's partitioned and formatted, shows up in Gparted but says "unmounted". Now I need to know how to mount it but nothing I've tried works.

hmm...
And type fdisk -l

Now to plug it back in.
What was I saying about techies forgetting they were noobs once........ :D
it would take me a while to ask those questions because i haven't been working on hardware, lately.

Partitioned and formatted, now here's where I go wrong:
"Our accessible new hard disk is at /dev/sdb5. To use it we need to mount it. Make sure that there exists a folder with ‘temp’ name (or whatever is you preferred) before you execute this command. Let’s mount and use it."
It's not working for me so obviously I don't know how to do this properly, don't know how to create a file specifically for this in terminal. :dunno:
I'm reading through the online instructions for creating a new file and I'm more confused than I was before........... I need specifics, do this, do this, do this not "here are three different ways, if you want then do this".........
did you name the drive or know its location or does it show up in the command line but not in the gui?

I said fuck it, reinstalling the OS from scratch, hopefully it will set up the second drive automatically.

That is what I would do also.
Just thinking something got fucky in your fstab file and no matter what you did it wasn't ever going to work.

That is what I would do also.
Just thinking something got fucky in your fstab file and no matter what you did it wasn't ever going to work.
Yeah, I got something funky in fstab........ :lol:

Ubuntu has installed and I'm working on my personal configuration, of course being tired and frustrated I did the fresh install without backing up the 12 videos I already converted........ Luckily it was only twelve....... Still, grrrrrrrr................

Don't know if any of you feel this way but I hate the Ubuntu Software Center. One of the first few things I do is install AppGrid.

just installed it. pretty useful. i need to upgrade my router.

thanks.
I search in Ubuntu Software Center for say 'Apport', it doesn't show up, do it with AppGrid and wa-la there it is. Searched for Chromium in USC and it was buried in a multitude of other apps, AppGrid, it's just there.
BTW I mentioned Apport because I needed to uninstall it, constant false crash reports after installation.

Forum List

Back