Adding a new drive on Ubuntu

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Added an extra HDD on my Ubuntu machine, formatted (ext4), made new directory but even reading through the documentation numerous times still cannot figure out how to mount the new HDD. I edited in fstab but not sure I did it correctly, had to look up how to exit fstab so pretty sure my edit wasn't saved. :dunno:

That´s a fukn problem. Why can´t your magnificent "Ubuntu" do it autonomously?
Besides I'm adding it to my Linux machine because your vaunted Windblows won't let me convert MY DVDs to MP4......... Oops........
Tried BluFab already?
Nope, I'm a cheap bastard....... DVDFab (it's new name) costs money after the trial period, the trial period won't cover all the time I need.
Nothing on YouTube?

Because if it did you wouldn't be able to "trash" it....... Fuckin' putz.
Just disconnect the Sata cable, wait shortly and reconnect it: Unfrozen.
It's not frozen
Unfrozen means only completely unmounted, so you could issue a security erase, trash it.
Why didn't you say that in the first place? I'm waiting for help from some Linux techs, if they can't help me fix it I'll do that and start from scratch.

Besides I'm adding it to my Linux machine because your vaunted Windblows won't let me convert MY DVDs to MP4......... Oops........
Tried BluFab already?
Nope, I'm a cheap bastard....... DVDFab (it's new name) costs money after the trial period, the trial period won't cover all the time I need.
Nothing on YouTube?
Nothing that specifically addresses my issue, I've looked already. Nine tenths of the problem is techies, regardless of OS they forget they were complete noobs at one time and forget most people don't know what they know. They rattle off a bunch of geekanese, do this, do this, and do this but neglect to tell you how they got there in the first place. Hell, I had to figure out how to get out of fstab on my own and then I still added the code wrong or in the wrong place because they weren't SPECIFICALLY clear.

It's not frozen
Unfrozen means only completely unmounted, so you could issue a security erase, trash it.
Why didn't you say that in the first place? I'm waiting for help from some Linux techs, if they can't help me fix it I'll do that and start from scratch.
I didn´t know that wasn´t clear.

If you want to mount something you have to do something with ls, mount and sudo commands.
Something like:
mount /def /sda /media /hdd

It's not frozen

If you want to mount something you have to do something with ls, mount and sudo commands.
Something like:
Yeah, I know. As I said I finally got it mounted but have no idea what I did, was giving up when all of a sudden it showed that the drive was mounted. Now the problem is permissions, it says I have su permission but won't let me move or copy anything over to it. As for "frozen" to me that means it's locked up, nothing will work, nothing.

It's not frozen

Something like:
Yeah, I know. As I said I finally got it mounted but have no idea what I did, was giving up when all of a sudden it showed that the drive was mounted. Now the problem is permissions, it says I have su permission but won't let me move or copy anything over to it. As for "frozen" to me that means it's locked up, nothing will work, nothing.
I don´t know but I guess it is the way you mounted the drive and you will probably have to modify the commands and or its parameters as you are in a read only mode. Maybe, iamwhatiseem knows more.

It's not frozen

Something like:
I don´t know but I guess it is the way you mounted the drive and you will probably have to modify the commands and or its parameters as you are in a read only mode. Maybe, iamwhatiseem knows more.
Pretty much but when I do (exactly) as the online Ubuntu help page says it tells me "no such directory exists" yet I can see the directory and path. :dunno:

If push comes to shove when I finally get my new build done I'll put the new HDD in my current Windows machine, turn my current Windows machine into my new Linux machine and donate or sell my old Linux machine.
My new Windows gamer will have SSDs instead of HDDs, M.2 (PCIe) form factor.

Sorry, been too long for me. Odd though, I have certainly added HD's in Linux before and as far as I remember it automatically seen the drive/mounted.
When you did fstab did you do it as sudo? (when typing the command, type sudo first then a space)
Example: sudo command

Something like:
Pretty much but when I do (exactly) as the online Ubuntu help page says it tells me "no such directory exists" yet I can see the directory and path. :dunno:

If push comes to shove when I finally get my new build done I'll put the new HDD in my current Windows machine, turn my current Windows machine into my new Linux machine and donate or sell my old Linux machine.
As far as I can see you must create such a directory at first with a command like:
sudo mkdir /media/hdd

If you want to mount a ntfs disk you must add an -t paramenter to the mount command:
-t ntfs-3g /def/sda/media/hdd

sda and hdd are variable, hdd is just an example, you can call it anyhow, or it is the name of the disk.

Something like:

As far as I can see you must create such a directory at first with a command like:
sudo mkdir /media/hdd

If you want to mount a ntfs disk you must add an -t paramenter to the mount command:
-t ntfs-3g /def/sda/media/hdd

sda and hdd are variable, hdd is just an example, you can call it anyhow, or it is the name of the disk.
That's already done, I can see the directory.

Forum List

Back