Adding a new drive on Ubuntu

Looking through the log file here, when I added a new external drive for our Linux File server I typed this.....

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda/mnt/2

Now yours will not be NTFS of course, but ext4

I didn´t know that wasn´t clear.

If you want to mount something you have to do something with ls, mount and sudo commands.
Something like:
mount /def /sda /media /hdd
Yeah, I know. As I said I finally got it mounted but have no idea what I did, was giving up when all of a sudden it showed that the drive was mounted. Now the problem is permissions, it says I have su permission but won't let me move or copy anything over to it. As for "frozen" to me that means it's locked up, nothing will work, nothing.
I don´t know but I guess it is the way you mounted the drive and you will probably have to modify the commands and or its parameters as you are in a read only mode. Maybe, iamwhatiseem knows more.
Pretty much but when I do (exactly) as the online Ubuntu help page says it tells me "no such directory exists" yet I can see the directory and path. :dunno:

If push comes to shove when I finally get my new build done I'll put the new HDD in my current Windows machine, turn my current Windows machine into my new Linux machine and donate or sell my old Linux machine.
My new Windows gamer will have SSDs instead of HDDs, M.2 (PCIe) form factor.
As far as I can see you must create such a directory at first with a command like:
sudo mkdir /media/hdd

If you want to mount a ntfs disk you must add an -t paramenter to the mount command:
-t ntfs-3g /def/sda/media/hdd

sda and hdd are variable, hdd is just an example, you can call it anyhow, or it is the name of the disk.
That's already done, I can see the directory.
Check then the possible parameters of the mount command. There should be documentation with /? or /help or something.

Yeah, I know. As I said I finally got it mounted but have no idea what I did, was giving up when all of a sudden it showed that the drive was mounted. Now the problem is permissions, it says I have su permission but won't let me move or copy anything over to it. As for "frozen" to me that means it's locked up, nothing will work, nothing.
I don´t know but I guess it is the way you mounted the drive and you will probably have to modify the commands and or its parameters as you are in a read only mode. Maybe, iamwhatiseem knows more.
Pretty much but when I do (exactly) as the online Ubuntu help page says it tells me "no such directory exists" yet I can see the directory and path. :dunno:

If push comes to shove when I finally get my new build done I'll put the new HDD in my current Windows machine, turn my current Windows machine into my new Linux machine and donate or sell my old Linux machine.
As far as I can see you must create such a directory at first with a command like:
sudo mkdir /media/hdd

If you want to mount a ntfs disk you must add an -t paramenter to the mount command:

sda and hdd are variable, hdd is just an example, you can call it anyhow, or it is the name of the disk.
Check then the possible parameters of the mount command. There should be documentation with /? or /help or something.
Been there, done that, looks normal.

sudo mkdir /media/hdd

Been there, done that, looks normal.
I mean looking for options you can apply.

Added an extra HDD on my Ubuntu machine, formatted (ext4), made new directory but even reading through the documentation numerous times still cannot figure out how to mount the new HDD. I edited in fstab but not sure I did it correctly, had to look up how to exit fstab so pretty sure my edit wasn't saved. :dunno:
does the drive show up at all? there may be a mount option with the right click menu.

Added an extra HDD on my Ubuntu machine, formatted (ext4), made new directory but even reading through the documentation numerous times still cannot figure out how to mount the new HDD. I edited in fstab but not sure I did it correctly, had to look up how to exit fstab so pretty sure my edit wasn't saved. :dunno:
does the drive show up at all? there may be a mount option with the right click menu.
Yup, show up, path looks correct, everything look right but I obviously did something wrong right from the get-go. I'm seriously thinking starting from scratch or just stick it in my Windows desktop and network both computers.

it should be simpler to reformat the drive and reinstall the operating system.
It has no operating system, it's purely for storage besides I just now finished networking this Ubuntu machine and my Windows Gamer all in less than 30 minutes........ Think I'll just put the new drive in the gamer.......

Looking through the log file here, when I added a new external drive for our Linux File server I typed this.....

Comes back, "Can't find in fstab".
hmm...
Unhook the drive and type fdisk -l
That will show you a list of your drives.
Now hook the drive back up
And type fdisk -l
You should now see a new entry at the bottom.
If you don't then something is wrong, either physically or otherwise with the disk.

Looking online, this looks like the best walk through ---> Add new harddisk to linux system

It has no operating system, it's purely for storage besides I just now finished networking this Ubuntu machine and my Windows Gamer all in less than 30 minutes........ Think I'll just put the new drive in the gamer.......
an external drive kit could let you connect via usb.

At a sixteenth the transfer speed...........

didn't know speed was an issue. storage is usually convenient. did the drive come with its own software? sometimes you need to format a drive with its own software to get optimal results and better system recognition.

Go in the BIOS and make sure, then go into Gparted and name/flag it as a partition

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 58

hmm...
And type fdisk -l
If you don't then something is wrong, either physically or otherwise with the disk.

Looking online, this looks like the best walk through ---> Add new harddisk to linux system
There something funny about trying to do this after just waking up and just starting on my first cup of coffee........ I disconnected the wrong drive and tried to boot up........ :lol:
You didn't tell me I had to log in as a super user........... First feedback was "cannot open /dev /loop 0 (thru 12) with sba1 tucked in the middle (same message).
With SU it shows me all the sectors, logical/physical and I/O.
Now to plug it back in.

hmm...
And type fdisk -l

There something funny about trying to do this after just waking up and just starting on my first cup of coffee........ I disconnected the wrong drive and tried to boot up........ :lol:
You didn't tell me I had to log in as a super user........... First feedback was "cannot open /dev /loop 0 (thru 12) with sba1 tucked in the middle (same message).
Now to plug it back in.
Ahh...yep... sudo is needed for pretty much anything to do with the system.

hmm...
And type fdisk -l

Now to plug it back in.
What was I saying about techies forgetting they were noobs once........ :D

didn't know speed was an issue. storage is usually convenient. did the drive come with its own software? sometimes you need to format a drive with its own software to get optimal results and better system recognition.
It is when you transferring large files, I'm converting my DVDs to MP4 and transferring them to the new drive, those are very large files........

hmm...
And type fdisk -l

Now to plug it back in.
Maybe I should do this the easy(?) way, wipe the primary drive and reinstall Ubuntu with the secondary drive in place. :dunno:

Forum List

Back