ACLU vs. USMC

Originally posted by acludem
The ACLU for over 80 years has worked tirelessly to protect the civil liberties of ALL Americans. From the Scopes Monkey Trial (yep, the ACLU hired Clarence Darrow to defend the teacher) to Brown v. Board of Education (yet again, the ACLU helped to fund the defense team led by Thurgood Marshall) to cases establishing Miranda rights, banning forced prayer in public schools, protecting the rights of students of all faiths to wear religious symbols to school, the ACLU has been on the forefront of protecting our civil liberties. Sure, sometimes the ACLU goes a little overboard, keep in mind not all chapters are alike. This is like saying every Baptist church is the same, or every labor union is the same.

Now more than ever, the ACLU is needed to fight government abuses of the Constitution. The Bush administration is using 9/11 as an excuse to violate the privacy of ordinary law abiding citizens. They want to know what books you check out from the library and buy at stores. They want to know every website you visit, they want to read every e-mail you send and recieve. They want to create a dossier on every American citizen. This should never happen in a free society and the ACLU is doing everything it can to prevent it.

acludem

Why, do you have something to hide? Are you secretly funding terrorists? If not, then what do you have to be afraid of?

I would not have a problem if someone wanted to search my home if they thought something fishy was going on. I KNOW I have nothing to hide and I am not doing anything illegal. That said, my information may have gotten mixed up and mistaken for someone else. Because they are doing their jobs and looking for troublemakers, I would have no hard feelings.

Our HS went through something similar when the school wanted to start doing random searches of lockers becaues of recent drug activity being reported near the school. We would be notified when they would take place, so it wouldn't be a surprise inspection. There were alot of kids who protested, but most of us figured that we didn't anything illegal, or anything ot hide, so no big deal.

everybody says they would be ok if the authorities wanted to search their homes. nothing to hide, nothing to fear. It's amazing to me that nobody listens to the stories of those that were victims of mistaken identities and the nightmares of having to deal with it.

While I am sure that a number of individuals have you to thank, there are countless others who have been hurt--yes hurt--by your actions. The " needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many" approach has wide reching consequences which I do not think the ACLU appreciates or takes responsibilty for. You try to convince us that it is for our own good and we will appreciate all your hard work someday. I would think that with your long history I could think of something to thank you for by now but I can't.

Your lawyers defend at all costs ( I'm still trying to find out where you get your funding ), and let the rest of us pay for your "good works". I see you as a self serving organization that is more interested in redistributing power and money but most of striving to maintain a job for yourself and you savior complex.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
everybody says they would be ok if the authorities wanted to search their homes. nothing to hide, nothing to fear. It's amazing to me that nobody listens to the stories of those that were victims of mistaken identities and the nightmares of having to deal with it.

Obviously, people make mistakes, and yeah, it would suck. But how often does this happen? Not THAT often. Obviously the authorities are looking for someone who is doing something wrong. The authorities are only human. They DO make mistakes. I would not be mad if it caused a big inconvenience to me, it's not the end of the world.

It is indeed unfortunate when you are wrongly accused and would have to go through a search, seizure, smearing if you are truly innocent, but I think that is a price we pay for living in an open society.

the founding fathers would be seriously dissapointed in that belief. but, as you say, these are different times. Usher in Big Brother then since most of you would rather be safe and secure than free and independent.

Americans have always wanted it all I think. This seems to very weakness that makes us so suceptible to terroristic tactics. I think bin laden knew this when he suggested that America was really a very soft target. He has forced us into making sacrifices that nobody wants to make and has turned us against ourselves by making us choose which rights are most important. If we can come to a compromise, this strategy may well turn against him however that would require us to listen to each other. IMHO this is where he has dealt his biggest blow.

the founding fathers would be seriously dissapointed in that belief. but, as you say, these are different times. Usher in Big Brother then since most of you would rather be safe and secure than free and independent.

Never said I think it's right, but it is reality:(

Forum List

Back