ACLU: Ferguson police report on Michael Brown's death violates law

ACLU Ferguson police report on Michael Brown s death violates law - Yahoo News

It looks like the Ferguson police department is more concerned about covering their ass than anything else, which suggests they are in the wrong and have a need for such a lack of transparency.
Heavily-redacted document omits key public information.

A police report on the death of Michael Brown is missing key information and violates Missouri open records laws, an ACLU attorney told Yahoo News on Friday.
The two-page document, which the Ferguson Police Department released only after pressure from journalists and civil liberties advocates, is largely redacted or left blank. The most egregious omissions are the victim’s name and a description of the offense – the fatal shooting of Brown.
“They are breaking the law,” said Tony Rothert, legal director of the ACLU of Missouri.
One would think, him being all lawyer-y and stuff, he'd know that in an ongoing investigation, certain information is kept confidential until the investigation is over and there are charges to be filed.

Him being a lawyer and all.

According to the article, this information has been requested and denied.

Well this is becoming a standard for Government. I wish they were more worried about our Federal government under Obama not releasing information asked for. Or losing emails just in time for an investigation...
That's why I don't take the ACLU seriously

OBAMA!!!!!!!

Why dont you guys ever use his full name?

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA! ! ! ! !

ACLU rocks. When police demanded motorists's DNA samples they were all over it. But in their advocacy of our Bill of Rights, sometimes they come down on the side we like, sometimes they don't. But it's unfair to bash and criticize them for simply being fair and neutral.

(hides his ACLU card.) ;)

Agreed, the Skokie march is an example wherein the ACLU alienated many. The ACLU supported the Neo Nazis right to march, anyone not unhappy with some of the matters in which they are involved, and believing they are correct in others, may not know a lot about the ACLU.

I think that to argue that a bunch of swastika wearing neo-Nazis had a right to march in a community where many death camp survivors lived was fairly heinous.

Whats next, that the KKK has the right to burn a cross in a black neighborhood?

I did some more digging and ACLU did indeed ask County. And it seems County PD is interpreting the law exactly as I did. As per exhibit 2 in the ACLU's full filing ( 2014 08 14 Sunshine Petition ):

"Mr. Hill,
in ref to your request for incident report involving Michal Brown, this is an on-going investigation and we are unable to release a copy at this time.

St. Lous County PD - Record Room"

As an additional note I'd like to point out the dates on this; the request was made by the ACLU on the 13th and responded to the 14th. Yet 'we' don't hear about it until the 22nd? Thanks, media...

Last edited:
The ACLU always likes to get personal information. Then they can plaster names and addresses everywhere that might subject someone to danger.

It looks like the Ferguson police department is more concerned about covering their ass than anything else, which suggests they are in the wrong and have a need for such a lack of transparency.

\

A police report on the death of Michael Brown is missing key information and violates Missouri open records laws, an ACLU attorney told Yahoo News on Friday.
The two-page document, which the Ferguson Police Department released only after pressure from journalists and civil liberties advocates, is largely redacted or left blank. The most egregious omissions are the victim’s name and a description of the offense – the fatal shooting of Brown.
“They are breaking the law,” said Tony Rothert, legal director of the ACLU of Missouri.

My first inclination is that Officer Wilson was injured and did a sparse and maybe unintelligible police report before getting medical help. But that is no excuse. Some one should have assisted and then Wilson returned after seeking medical help to make sure of its accuracy. The Chief of Police, sensing its importance, should have followed up to check on the accuracy of the report.
The assertion that he was injured is completely contradicted by video of him after the shooting. He shows absolutely no signs of any injury. None.

Can you give me a link to the video of Darren Wilson after the shooting?

My first inclination is that Officer Wilson was injured and did a sparse and maybe unintelligible police report before getting medical help. But that is no excuse. Some one should have assisted and then Wilson returned after seeking medical help to make sure of its accuracy. The Chief of Police, sensing its importance, should have followed up to check on the accuracy of the report.
Yeah...that's it.

:rolleyes:

:lol:
lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

No...The ACLU wants the Ferguson PD to produce what the ACLU "thinks" is there.
The ACLU has no credibility. And it has no standing in this case.

ACLU rocks. When police demanded motorists's DNA samples they were all over it. But in their advocacy of our Bill of Rights, sometimes they come down on the side we like, sometimes they don't. But it's unfair to bash and criticize them for simply being fair and neutral.

(hides his ACLU card.) ;)
The ACLU is neutral?
Yeah, and I'm Barack Hussein Obama..
WTF is wrong with you?

Well of course the ACLU would say that.
...and in other news the sun will rise tomorrow.

\

The assertion that he was injured is completely contradicted by video of him after the shooting. He shows absolutely no signs of any injury. None.
Yeah well the broken orbital bone says otherwise

Yeah...that's it.

:rolleyes:

:lol:
lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
We will have to wait for the reason for such poorly written report. Jumping to conclusions doesn't help either side. Like I said, there's doesn't appear to be a good excuse. The captain should have been on top of this.

Forum List

Back