ac 42 (1942) Walther P.38

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked this kinda rough ac 42 P.38 today. I gave $600.00 for it....Sigh, you don't get much in the wartime P.38 world for that these days.

Lots of pinprick pitting but it's sound enough. All matching and correct as best as I can tell.

The bore/crown is just fine.

I'll give it a good going over as there is still some rust that needs attending to in the nooks and crannies. Also a new set of recoil springs by and by.

8-004-2-jpg.111194

8-006-2-jpg.111195

8-007-2-jpg.111196

It came in this unmarked leather shoulder holster but I suspect that it's for a M1911 as it fits a M1911 as well. Nice workmanship none the less. I'm sure I'll find a use for it. ;)

8-001-2-jpg.111197

8-003-2-jpg.111198

I've always been fascinated by the Walther P-38 semi-automatic pistol* since the mid sixties when as part of the fad of "spy" movies and TV shows there was the offering of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." **
~~~~~~~~~
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. is an American spy fiction television series[1] produced by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Television and first broadcast on NBC. The series follows secret agents, played by Robert Vaughn and David McCallum, who work for a secret international counterespionage and law-enforcement agency called U.N.C.L.E. The series premiered on September 22, 1964, and completed its run on January 15, 1968. The program led the spy-fiction craze on television, and by 1966 there were nearly a dozen imitators. Several episodes were successfully released to theaters as B movies or double features. There was also a spin-off series, The Girl from U.N.C.L.E., a series of novels and comic books, and merchandising.

With few recurring characters, the series attracted many high-profile guest stars. Props from the series are exhibited at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum and at the museums of the Central Intelligence Agency and other US intelligence agencies. The series won the Golden Globe Award for Best TV Show in 1966.

Originally, co-creator Sam Rolfe wanted to leave the meaning of U.N.C.L.E. ambiguous so it could refer to either "Uncle Sam" or the United Nations.[2]: 14  Concerns by the MGM legal department about using "U.N." for commercial purposes resulted in the producers' clarification that U.N.C.L.E. was an acronym for the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement.[3] Each episode had an "acknowledgement" to the U.N.C.L.E. in the end titles.
The_Man_from_U.N.C.L.E.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~
They had an interesting system to upgrade the P-38 with stock, telescopic sight, and barrel extension+silencer, extended magazine;
soloillyabaach.jpg

walters-uncle-gun-3-jpg.1479894

500px-ManFrom-Custom2.jpg

f-251-jpg.1479895

I picked this kinda rough ac 42 P.38 today. I gave $600.00 for it....Sigh, you don't get much in the wartime P.38 world for that these days.

Lots of pinprick pitting but it's sound enough. All matching and correct as best as I can tell.

The bore/crown is just fine.

I'll give it a good going over as there is still some rust that needs attending to in the nooks and crannies. Also a new set of recoil springs by and by.

8-004-2-jpg.111194

8-006-2-jpg.111195

8-007-2-jpg.111196

It came in this unmarked leather shoulder holster but I suspect that it's for a M1911 as it fits a M1911 as well. Nice workmanship none the less. I'm sure I'll find a use for it. ;)

8-001-2-jpg.111197

8-003-2-jpg.111198
Nice score. Yes that is a tanker style chest holster for 1911s

Nice score. Yes that is a tanker style chest holster for 1911s
Yeah, it's based on the M7 and for some reason a bunch were made in Europe with the spare mag pocket. I have a older post-war Austrian marked one made of pigskin made the same way. Nobody is quite sure why they made them.

At least the quality of leather/stitching is very good on this example (most are sort of cheap looking) so I might do a alcohol soak, cover one of my M1911s in plastic wrap and mold the holster to it. When it dries I'll use some Sno-Seal on it.

I believe I might also replace the snaps as the euro types are not very secure.....I have the tools/snaps so it's just a matter of removing the old ones.

Here's the holster with a 1940 Brazilian Contract Colt M1911 in it. The pigskin holster of the same style is above it.

ho 001 (2).JPG

Forum List

Back