Absolutely hilarious

In the state of Massachusetts, that includes profanity

Technically, Massachusetts still has laws on the books that make profanity a prosecutable offense...

Chapter 41: Section 94. Powers and duties

Section 94. Constables may serve the writs and processes described in section ninety-two and warrants and processes in criminal cases, although their town, parish, religious society or district is a party or interested. They shall have the powers of sheriffs to require aid in the execution of their duties. They shall take due notice of and prosecute all violations of law respecting the observance of the Lord’s day, profane swearing and gaming. They shall serve all warrants and other processes directed to them by the selectmen of their town for notifying town meetings or for other purposes. They may serve by copy, attested by them, demands, notices and citations, and their returns of service thereof shall be prima facie evidence; but this provision shall not exclude the service thereof by other persons.

...although I assume they don't arrest people for those violations anymore.

P.S. I would post the source, but I can't until I have made 15 posts here.

Lol. I'll be careful not to walk around cursing in Massachusetts.

However, there was a Massachusetts state supreme court case that directly addressed the statute that Gates was arrested under. I suck with names, but it was Commonwealth v M-something. I read about it in a column, then looked up the case itself, and it's pretty specific on that point. And the guy in that case was a real douche, as I recall. It involved a guy who had the cops called on him for beating on his girlfriend, and when cops arrested him for it he started telling them off and accusing them of this, that, and the next thing and yelling profanity at them, etc. If that guy was covered by free speech, then a curmudgeonly old guy who's wiped out after flying in from china and ranting should be covered.

If that guy was covered by free speech, then a curmudgeonly old guy who's wiped out after flying in from china and ranting should be covered.

The fact that no charges were brought against Gates suggests the police did not have a strong leg to stand on here. But I think they could have made life quite uncomfortable for Mr. Gates if they chose to do so.

The Constitution of the US also protects that free speech.

So constitutionally protected free speech makes it impossible to arrest someone for disturbing the peace?

Don't bother her with facts. The left is NEVER interested in reality or facts unless they happen to agree with them. She knows perfectly well he was not arrested for calling the cop names and that the DA of the district said specifically that the man BROKE the law, that charges were only being dropped because it was a political problem caused by the press and idiots like our President, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, not to mention the Governor of MA, notice a theme? All black men accusing a white man of racism for LEGALLY arresting another black man.

The only reason this cop wasn't fired is because gates picked the absolutely wrong white man to accuse of racism. If he hadn't had the stellar career and track record he has, he probably would be looking for work now. Which was the entire intent of these powerful men making the waves they made.

Just how long is white America supposed to walk on egg shells and be guilty without facts , of racism? When does it end? When do blacks that break the law and act ignorantly get called out for pulling the race card to hide their own stupidity and their own racism?

Can you imagine the shit storm if a white President had made a similar comment about a black cop arresting a white man? The same people now claiming first amendment violations would be screaming for the Presidents racist head on a platter. Of course the fact that if a black cop arrested a white professor under the EXACT same circumstances it would never have made the news is telling also.

If that guy was covered by free speech, then a curmudgeonly old guy who's wiped out after flying in from china and ranting should be covered.

The fact that no charges were brought against Gates suggests the police did not have a strong leg to stand on here. But I think they could have made life quite uncomfortable for Mr. Gates if they chose to do so.

Wrong, the DA and the Local head of police there all stated that the arrest was proper procedure and that it was a chargeable offense. They dropped it to smooth over the political shit storm that arresting a racist black man causes in this country.

Once again for both of you, he was NOT arrested for calling the officer names. he was arrested for being a public nuisance.

My point was not that the offense was not chargeable. It was that the odds of winning a conviction in light of the circumstances were slim.

As I said, they could have made his life uncomfortable. But, in the end, it would have not amounted to a hill of beans.

but Americans are not as stupid as he thinks and he won't get away with it for very long. His polls will be in the low 40's high 30's by the time congress returns.

First off all speech is not protected under the constitution. You cannot incite to riot or shout fire in a crowded theater. Nor is libel or slander protected.

Don't bother her with facts. The left is NEVER interested in reality or facts unless they happen to agree with them.

Aside from the fact that I'm more middle than left, once again insults of that nature show nothing but an inability on your part to support your point with something more substancial.

He was yelling at and insulting a cop. publicly and in front of passers-by. He was charged under the state statute for disorderly conduct. The Supreme Court of Massachusetts has specifically stated that statute does not apply in those circumstances. Which of those facts do you dispute?

Just how long is white America supposed to walk on egg shells and be guilty without facts , of racism?

One cop getting accused of racism does not equate to "white America." And as no one here seems to be throwing out accusations of racism, that is a nonsensical turn of conversation on your part.

First off all speech is not protected under the constitution. You cannot incite to riot or shout fire in a crowded theater. Nor is libel or slander protected.

No one said "all speech" is protected. I said Gates particular speech was protected, per the Supreme Court of the State of Massachusetts and per the Supreme Court of the US.

There's a good commentary on the subject from a Forbes columnist:

Prof. Gates' Unconstitutional Arrest - Forbes.com

Misusing disorderly conduct laws to arrest for contempt of cop is anti-freedom and something every citizen should speak out against when a story on it comes to light.

All the legal discussion aside, Obama turned a mole hill into a mountain. He started his answer to the question on the matter by saying he didn't have all the facts, then passed judgement on the cops. Truth is, Obama acted like a community organizer (the job he is actually qualified for) instead of POTUS.

OBAMA stepped into it when he was foolish enough to comment on that on-going investigation, no doubt about it.

It's been full time PR damage control ever since.

Lots of time charges of "breaking the peace" are brought to defuse a situation and to get the the participants hauled in as a formality, or to get their attention; so it's not done on the strength of the case. I know I was once, by being in a car with a person "under the influence," and my attorney was able to get it dismissed just by speaking to the authorities.

All the legal discussion aside, Obama turned a mole hill into a mountain. He started his answer to the question on the matter by saying he didn't have all the facts, then passed judgement on the cops. Truth is, Obama acted like a community organizer (the job he is actually qualified for) instead of POTUS.

Oh...so he was asked a question about it in a press conference? He didn't bring it up himself?

The President CREATES a problem ad then gets praised for race relations after he created the situation.

Analysis: Obama's rare race foray a positive step - Yahoo! News

of course hes gonna receive praise for this. This is exactly what they want.. the public to be completely ignorant of what he actually did. Its sick.

Jamie

The public isn't as ignorant as he'd like them to be.. that's why there was such a backlash.numbers are dropping

Oh...so he was asked a question about it in a press conference? He didn't bring it up himself?

and all of his questions are pre-screened and approved of.. his answer was no accident.

Sorry I don't have the details and cant comment at this time?!

Instead said I don't know the details, but the cops acted stupidly ... why?
The shit stain is stupid and racist!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back