About Social Security, Age Is The Elephant In The Room

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Got to hand it to the NYTimes, some of their headlines are the best.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/12/politics/12age.html?th&emc=th

2. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I will personnally be shocked if there is any social security left for me when I finally reach 67. Anyone who isn't saving their pennies and depending on social security is living in a dream world.

It needs an overhaul.

3. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    The whole thing with delaying retirement age just ticks me off to no end. It reminds me of the carrot tied on a stick and dangled just out of reach of the horse pulling the wagon.

The damned politicians on both sides of the aisle are collecting obscene retirement benefits while they sit and cynically continue to increase the social security eligibilty age, hoping that most recipients will die before they can collect.

The cure to social security is simple - do away with the idiotic retirement benefits our overpaid senators and representatives have voted for themselves. Put them under social security same as the rest of us. Bet the system gets fixed in no time.

4. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,924
    I was born July 6th, 1955, and I'll be 50 this year. I just hope that I'm "grandfathered in" with whatever they do. If not, I'm going to be one fighting mad "active" participant in this issue.

I've paid a damn FORTUNE in Social Security Taxes ALREADY! I WILL NOT sit back and just passively watch as someone else fucks with it or trys to take it away.

(... and I'll bet I'm not alone... by a LONG shot.)

5. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,924
    Hoooo - ooo - ooo - ooo... you have no idea how bad I'd like to see that. I've posted on here all about this before. How even if they work for a "DAY", they'll still retire with FULL PAY, and FULL MEDICAL! It's a damn outrage, but nobody really seemed to care... to my dismay.