Abortion: Why Men Don't Get A Say

Opt out of what? Parental rights and responsibility once the child is born, or the child being born at all?

Doesn't matter.

A woman can abort a child without the consent of the father. A woman can have a child and abandon it under the protection of safe haven laws without ever notifying the father that the child was born. There are many ways a woman can get out of the responsibility of raising a child but a man has none.

I can think of one, Skull Pilot.

Wait, make that two.....

No, three......

But I will agree lives will be improved when men can control their fertility via a pill, as women can.

Men can already control their fertility by not trusting a woman when she says she's on the pill.

It won't be long till that is a mute question. Roe v Wade will be overturned soon by the US Supreme Court, especially after the Repubs get the presidency back.

Human life begins at conception. Even the legal system is recognizing this with punishment for people who harm the fetus.

Saying that, the woman who must carry the child for 9 months should be and is the final arbiter on abortion. When a woman has an abortion it is a moment in which they will remember for life. They will forever wonder about what might have been and continually ask themselves, did I kill a living being?
It is a terrible thing that we deal with in society today. Unmarried woman having children or abortions, many of them teenagers who are not prepared to raise a family, especially alone. It places a lot of stress on a family and eventually results in children who grow up having problems. Not always but the majority do have problems. This is an underlying cause of the deterioration of the American way of life.

It won't be long till that is a mute question. Roe v Wade will be overturned soon by the US Supreme Court, especially after the Repubs get the presidency back.

Human life begins at conception. Even the legal system is recognizing this with punishment for people who harm the fetus.

Saying that, the woman who must carry the child for 9 months should be and is the final arbiter on abortion. When a woman has an abortion it is a moment in which they will remember for life. They will forever wonder about what might have been and continually ask themselves, did I kill a living being?
It is a terrible thing that we deal with in society today. Unmarried woman having children or abortions, many of them teenagers who are not prepared to raise a family, especially alone. It places a lot of stress on a family and eventually results in children who grow up having problems. Not always but the majority do have problems. This is an underlying cause of the deterioration of the American way of life.

What makes you think the power brokers on the right are truly interested in overturning Roe? The pro life movement is a huge vote getter and a multi million dollar industry for several of their tied in advocacy groups, they're not going to give it up anytime soon. What you may see is incremental curbs on abortion related issues so they can continue to claim progress, but they're not killing the cash cow any more than the power elites on the left are going to sacrifice their own pet wedge issues.

Cynical? Sure. But true nonetheless.

What makes you think the power brokers on the right are truly interested in overturning Roe? The pro life movement is a huge vote getter and a multi million dollar industry for several of their tied in advocacy groups, they're not going to give it up anytime soon. What you may see is incremental curbs on abortion related issues so they can continue to claim progress, but they're not killing the cash cow any more than the power elites on the left are going to sacrifice their own pet wedge issues.

Yet it only takes 5 people to overturn Roe v Wade. I wonder which way the new Justice would vote on this issue? Historically some Justices have changed their views once they get a robe.

Yet it only takes 5 people to overturn Roe v Wade. I wonder which way the new Justice would vote on this issue? Historically some Justices have changed their views once they get a robe.

It takes millions of dollars and an army of footsoldiers to get a test case that far. A named plaintiff would be no problem I'm sure, but you might have trouble navigating the system without the blessing of the powers that be.

There is another complication, which is the fact that Roe rests on and forms part of an entire series of cases involving the right to privacy - including cases on everything from availability of contraception to parental rights. Overturning the right to privacy would open the door for a new series of cases allowing government to stick its nose in the bedroom and family unit precisely where it doesn't belong.

Yet isn't that where we are headed. Look at all the laws and regulations instituted just in this century. The Government keeps infringing into the home and with technological advances and the perceived threat of terrorism, more homegrown than foreign, I see a further assaults on our privacy. Do we really have a right to privacy? You smoke joint at home and you go to work a week later and you can get fired for testing positive. Sure it takes money to get a case through the court system but there are cases all the time being filed. All it takes is one and the pro life forces will make sure there are lawyers and money to back it.

zzzz, the SCOTUS is full and most Justices are young, so explain to me how electing a Republican President or Congress will affect Roe v Wade?

Why not make it extremely profitable to keep babies. Why not teach how much fun it is to have a little kid around learning life. I have kids and I dont want to do anything without them. Hell, the only time I post is if I travel for business. When I am at home with the kids I do not waste one minute here, although showing the internet world the lies of liberals, the government, and the green energy profiteers is noble, my kids are more fun.

Too bad you cant ask the kids that are aborted, seems they should have a choice, why cant the fetus decide.

A better morning after pill, maybe an after climax pill,

Isn't that one of the complaints about WIC? That women have babies just for the Welfare?

Yet isn't that where we are headed. Look at all the laws and regulations instituted just in this century. The Government keeps infringing into the home and with technological advances and the perceived threat of terrorism, more homegrown than foreign, I see a further assaults on our privacy. Do we really have a right to privacy? You smoke joint at home and you go to work a week later and you can get fired for testing positive. Sure it takes money to get a case through the court system but there are cases all the time being filed. All it takes is one and the pro life forces will make sure there are lawyers and money to back it.

You're confusing tort privacy, which is primarily State law, with Constitutional privacy here. They are two different animals. Constitutional privacy in the series of cases beginning with Sisters and heading through Griswold, Roe and beyond is about not privacy of information, but privacy and control over one's body, family and some aspects of the home. Tort privacy is about information and communications.

Employment drug screening is also a different animal, as employment in any specific field or for a specific employer who drug tests is voluntary. Drug testing policies also must be clearly communicated and the employee consents. I have no sympathy in that situation, if you want to get high and go to work the next day you have the right and ability to choose an employer with no testing policy.

Men can already control their fertility by not trusting a woman when she says she's on the pill.

Men have all the control. All they need to do is wear a condom. Then it would make no difference if a woman "says" she is on the pill or not. However i do understand that accidents happen even with a condom.

Men have all the control. All they need to do is wear a condom. Then it would make no difference if a woman "says" she is on the pill or not. However i do understand that accidents happen even with a condom.

If it takes two to tango, it takes two to be responsible. That's really the bottom line. You don't want kids? Take responsibility on your own for contraception.

Sure accidents happen, with anything. But if you're both taking steps it makes it even less likely.

If it takes two to tango, it takes two to be responsible. That's really the bottom line. You don't want kids? Take responsibility on your own for contraception.

Sure accidents happen, with anything. But if you're both taking steps it makes it even less likely.

I agree, the way i read SP post he was saying how can a man be responsible if he goes on faith that a woman is telling the truth about being on the pill. He cant. If he wants to make sure then use a condom. Simple as that.

In my opinion a mans right to have any in say what happens ends at the time his sperm enters a woman body. Any consequences after that point he needs to live with one way or the other.

I agree, the way i read SP post he was saying how can a man be responsible if he goes on faith that a woman is telling the truth about being on the pill. He cant. If he wants to make sure then use a condom. Simple as that.

In my opinion a mans right to have any in say what happens ends at the time his sperm enters a woman body. Any consequences after that point he needs to live with one way or the other.

No matter how you slice it, men do not have the outs that a woman has when it comes to an unwanted kid.

They should but they don't..

No matter how you slice it, men do not have the outs that a woman has when it comes to an unwanted kid.

They should but they don't..

I agree that they don't. Is that fair...no. But life is not fair.

Men also have all the power to keep their sperm to themselves.

zzzz, the SCOTUS is full and most Justices are young, so explain to me how electing a Republican President or Congress will affect Roe v Wade?

Ginsburg will be 80 when the new Pres takes office and 3 others are in the 70's. Yes Scalia and Kennedy are 74 so if one passes on Obama can tilt the court to the left. It all depends on the circumstances.

As to Congress, appointees must make be approved and with the highly charged atmosphere that may be difficult. If the Republicans take charge of the Senate and a liberal leaves the court and they see that keeping the seat vacant will play for them they will do it. How long would the American people stand aside and let the seat stay vacant? Depends on Obama's popularity.

But this is all supposition, the future has not been written yet and strange things have occurrred before.

women who believe that men should have no say in whether a woman get's an abortion but should be required to pay child support if she decided to keep the child against his wishes are clearly in favor of men being nothing more than sperm donors with wallets when convenient.

Why they hate men is anyone's guess.

Ginsburg will be 80 when the new Pres takes office and 3 others are in the 70's. Yes Scalia and Kennedy are 74 so if one passes on Obama can tilt the court to the left. It all depends on the circumstances.

As to Congress, appointees must make be approved and with the highly charged atmosphere that may be difficult. If the Republicans take charge of the Senate and a liberal leaves the court and they see that keeping the seat vacant will play for them they will do it. How long would the American people stand aside and let the seat stay vacant? Depends on Obama's popularity.

But this is all supposition, the future has not been written yet and strange things have occurrred before.

OMG, zzzz, Ruth will be 80? I apologize; I really did think she was much younger. In that case, you could be correct, though an appointment in 2012 would not yield a revision of Roe v Wade for several more years, in all likelihood.

Man, that is amazing.....thankies for correcting me.

women who believe that men should have no say in whether a woman get's an abortion but should be required to pay child support if she decided to keep the child against his wishes are clearly in favor of men being nothing more than sperm donors with wallets when convenient.

Why they hate men is anyone's guess.

I guess they don't like being pissed on. Some men do that you know. Why they hate women is anyone's guess.

Forum List

Back