ABBA song Fernando

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
"There was something in the air that night the stars were shining bright Fernando." "They were shining there for you and me for liberty Fernando". What message did the the Swedish group intend or was it just a pop tune?

Fernando is a song by the pop group ABBA. The lyrics of Fernando are about two friends, one of whom is called Fernando. These friends, who were once freedom fighters, on a starry night, share their memories of a guerilla war they fought in several years ago in Mexico.

Fernando is a song by the pop group ABBA. The lyrics of Fernando are about two friends, one of whom is called Fernando. These friends, who were once freedom fighters, on a starry night, share their memories of a guerilla war they fought in several years ago in Mexico.
That's my question, what "freedom fighters" and what guerilla war?

The English version, with completely different lyrics by Björn Ulvaeus, presents a vision of nostalgia for two veterans reminiscing in old age about a long-ago battle in which they participated. "I wrote all the songs as little stories. 'Fernando' was about two old freedom-fighters from the Mexican Revolution. I was lying outside one summer night, looking at the stars and it suddenly came to me".[5] "I knew that the title 'Fernando' had to be there, and after pondering a while, I had this vivid image in my mind of two old and scarred revolutionaries in Mexico sitting outside at night talking about old memories".[5]

First time I heard this song I thought...

A scandinavian band, singing pop songs in English and talking about a certain Fernando... WTF is that? :confused-84: :confused-84: :confused-84: :confused-84:

Then I listened to the whole song to see if there was a José thrown in for good measure but no luck...

Their deconstruction of a UFO landing in the little town of Smorgasbord in Schweden .

You won't find much on google. "Though we never thought that we would lose there's no regret". That doesn't really connect to Mexico. Maybe Cuba or the Spanish revolution in the 30's

In most likelihood it was not about any particular war/struggle.
The author only says he pictured two old men who were once revolutionaries in Mexico.
A quick Google search reflects 40 significant conflicts in Mexico's history.
It could have been any of them

In most likelihood it was not about any particular war/struggle.
The author only says he pictured two old men who were once revolutionaries in Mexico.
A quick Google search reflects 40 significant conflicts in Mexico's history.
It could have been any of them
" Can you hear the drums Fernando" indicates an ongoing defeat rather than the memories of two old revolutionaries. Did the author really make the comment or is it just somebody's assumption of what the author might have thought? The song tends to make you think it's about the relationship between a man and a woman "there was something in the air that night, the stars were bright Fernando" but maybe that's just me. Maybe ABBA was afraid to anger Americans with the truth.

Last edited:
" Can you hear the drums Fernando" indicates an ongoing defeat rather than the memories of two old revolutionaries. Did the author really make the comment or is it just somebody's assumption of what the author might have thought? The song tends to make you think it's about the relationship between a man and a woman "there was something in the air that night, the stars were bright Fernando" but maybe that's just me. Maybe ABBA was afraid to anger Americans with the truth.
My theory is that it was sang from a woman to a man.
Fernando is not only a man's name, but mentions he fought in battle.
But the singer does not say they did. "And since many years I haven't seen a rifle in your hands"
That means they have stayed close to each other, otherwise the singer couldn't say that.
Whatever the battle/war was - they lost. As said here "Though I never thought that we could lose
There's no regret"

Having said that - the original Swedish song was a man to a man. The song was sang by a man trying to console his friend after having lost the war.

But the singer does not say they did. "And since many years I haven't seen a rifle in your hands"
That means they have stayed close to each other, otherwise the singer couldn't say that.
Whatever the battle/war was - they lost. As said here "Though I never thought that we could lose
There's no regret"

Having said that - the original Swedish song was a man to a man. The song was sang by a man trying to console his friend after having lost the war.
The Swedes have a culture different from the U.S. Fernando was released in1976 at the peak of the Communist uprising in Central American countries like Guatemala and Nicaragua and El Salvador. Chances are that the song reflects that era.

There's no regret"

I have no opinion on song other than to say I think it is beautiful and inspiring. It was also the most successful single that ABBA produced.

What, like older than ABBA?

I like "Take a chance on me". :dunno:

ABBA is definitely unique.
I was a hater of all things Disco back in the day... but once I got older I found myself liking Dancing Queen. Reminds of being young.
And no, I didn't want to be a queen.

I was a hater of all things Disco back in the day... but once I got older I found myself liking Dancing Queen. Reminds of being young.
And no, I didn't want to be a queen.
It is a great song that is about the joy of a teenage girl on a Friday night, responding to the excitement of the music, but it becomes melancholy. This is partly because the song begins with what eventually becomes the yearning second half of its chorus; (“See that girl, watch that scene”): we’re looking back on ourselves, perhaps to our past. That magic of being 17 and feeling the beat of the tambourine.

It was featured in two movies, Mama Mia, which is very upbeat and an earlier movie, Muriel's Wedding, which is a sad, demoralizing, miserable movie that would even make Charlotte from Sex and the City want to hang herself in despair. However, like Mama Mia Dancing Queen is one of the best thing in the movie.

It is said to be a favorite of Queen Elizabeth who said, "Every Time I hear it, it makes me want to dance".

That's why I like Country/Western. There is no mystery other than why a hard lovin woman stays with with a good timing man.

Forum List

Back