CDZ A very simple question

Is it a good thing to empathize with other people?

• Total voters
I don't think so.

Just because I can intellectually understand another's feelings, thoughts and motivations in no way means I care about them.
How do you express empathy?
Part 1 Connecting with Others through Empathy
  1. Listen. Listening is one of the most effective ways you can demonstrate empathy to other people. ...
  2. Open up. Just listening to someone isn't going to build a bridge between the two of you. ...
  3. Offer physical affection. ...
  4. Focus your attention outwards. ...
  5. Withhold judgment. ...
  6. Offer help.

Being able to practice empathy is one of the most important skills you can learn. In a world that spends so much time picking at flaws and igniting fear and anger in people, empathy can be a balm to that fear and anger. It can help you, and others, lead a more fulfilling and healthier life. Empathy means you have to put yourself in their shoes and be aware of and sensitive to their feelings to help them.

Your #3 suggestion is gonna get you in big trouble with everyone from HR to #metoo... :11_2_1043:

This works only when the receiver doesn't already have a list of demands for you to comply with... Then you're just more like a hostage instead of a caring human being trying to understand their fears, misconceptions and biases...

Forum List

Back