A Third Party

Third Parties just don't work.
The problem is that they always start from the top and shoot for the Presidency. All this accomplishes is to pull votes away from one major candidate and elects the other major candidate. Thats how Lincoln got elected.
If you are serious about a third party, you have to build from the ground up. Start with State Assemblies, then Congressmen....work your way up to Senators and Governors. Don't even consider running someone for President until you have built a political base. If you can get 10 Senators elected you can rule Congress by pitting one party against the other.

:clap2:
I have been saying this for years.
It's the reason Nader always rubbed me the wrong way.
Instead of running for senator or congressman where he could actually maybe do some good, he just runs for the big chair, which he could never win, and takes votes away from the dem candidate.

Maybe that's because he doesn't think the Democratic candidate would do a good job and he wants to give people that agree with him a real choice.

The problem is that they always start from the top and shoot for the Presidency. All this accomplishes is to pull votes away from one major candidate and elects the other major candidate. Thats how Lincoln got elected.
If you are serious about a third party, you have to build from the ground up. Start with State Assemblies, then Congressmen....work your way up to Senators and Governors. Don't even consider running someone for President until you have built a political base. If you can get 10 Senators elected you can rule Congress by pitting one party against the other.

Instead of running for senator or congressman where he could actually maybe do some good, he just runs for the big chair, which he could never win, and takes votes away from the dem candidate.

Maybe that's because he doesn't think the Democratic candidate would do a good job and he wants to give people that agree with him a real choice.

What is the choice?

You end up with 3% of the vote and give the election to the candidate farthest from your platform.

If Nader were not such an egomaniac, he would have run for Senate. One Third Party vote in the Senate can swing key issues one way or the other.

What is the choice?

You end up with 3% of the vote and give the election to the candidate farthest from your platform.

If Nader were not such an egomaniac, he would have run for Senate. One Third Party vote in the Senate can swing key issues one way or the other.

The choice to vote for someone you agree with rather than the lesser of two evils. Believe it or not, not everyone agrees with that method of voting.

HOLY CRAP!!!! I think I agree with you! LOL

I suppose if you want to be technical you could say Lincoln won because of a third party, but what really happened is that the Democratic Party split between the north and the south and elected different candidates to represent each faction.

This is somewhat in line with the 1912 election. Roosevelt could not swing the Republican nomination from Taft, whom he endorsed in 1908, so he formed the Bull Moose party. It split the RP vote, thus handing the Presidency to Wilson. TR did come in 2nd beating Taft, the only time in history a 3rd party came in 2nd.

Taft served most of McKinley's 1st term, and was elected to a second, but did not run in 1908 endorsing Taft. After a bitter fued on how TR said Taft was not doing a good job, the 1912 election was a republican fiasco.

Also, in the early days, there were Rebublican -Democrat's, Thomas Jefferson was one!

I would like to see a party that strictly follows the Bible.

Have you looked into the Constitution Party?

Do they follow the Bible?

The Constitution Party gratefully acknowledges the blessing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as Creator, Preserver and Ruler of the Universe and of these United States. We hereby appeal to Him for mercy, aid, comfort, guidance and the protection of His Providence as we work to restore and preserve these United States.

This great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been and are afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.

The goal of the Constitution Party is to restore American jurisprudence to its Biblical foundations and to limit the federal government to its Constitutional boundaries.

Constitution Party Platform

The Constitution Party gratefully acknowledges the blessing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as Creator, Preserver and Ruler of the Universe and of these United States. We hereby appeal to Him for mercy, aid, comfort, guidance and the protection of His Providence as we work to restore and preserve these United States.

This great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been and are afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.

The goal of the Constitution Party is to restore American jurisprudence to its Biblical foundations and to limit the federal government to its Constitutional boundaries.

And you don't get more Constitutional than having the Lord in your corner

Not Republican, Not Democrat, Not Libertarian.

What would be your ideal Third Party?

The Libertarian Party is a third party, but I think I understand what you're saying. In 2008, the Libertarians chose a Republican to run. WTH??? So a party that follows the Constitution, is fiscally conservative and socially liberal would be nice, but we all know that won't happen. Most people here either voted for Obama or McCain in the last election and that'll continue to happen for years to come at the Presidential level. There is, however, still hope in other elections, including Congress.

Forum List

Back