A Tale Of 2 Systems

Discussion in 'Economy' started by NATO AIR, Jan 4, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Thank God we aren't Europe...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    True, but we are still facing the same troubles. Can we really cope with the baby boomer bulge which starts only 4 years from now? It's predicted that social security will be in the red by 2014. That's only 9 years from now. How will the deficits be addressed?

http://www.socialsecurityreform.org/problem/index.cfm

3. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    All the more reason to privatize as much of our Social Security savings accounts as possible. This is something we really need to do, but because it's such holy grail to Democrats and AARP is such a powerful lobby they will selfishly fight any reform in the offering. It lays on the shoulders of Republicans to take the plunge. I wonder if those in the Roosevelt administration took any of this into consideration when they made this the foruth arm of our government???

4. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49

This whole nonsense is based on the concept that you can actually pace your spending in order to afford such an account. It's been proven; the average american can't. Why? Because our economy relies on our citizens spending money.

President Bush is going down as the most hypocritical president in history. His previous "Tax Relief" was based on the concept that he'd expected us to spend it on the economy; Now, he want us to keep our money? Something's going to give. This is why I may be the only calm Democrat in this forum; the rope is growing every single day...

5. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230

I can manage my money in order to contribute to a retirement account beyond social security. Why is it you believe the government is a better manager of your money than you are?

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    This makes no sense at all????????????????

7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230

Do you have any concept of savings and investment? When a person saves money or invests into an IRA or 401K it is not like the money sits idle in Algore's lock box. That money is put in to the economy through investment of companies.

8. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Yes, but I don't see Bush's plan to privatize ss for the future as any plan to address the BIG PROBLEM staring right at us in the face, right NOW!

What is the Republican solution to address the Boomer problem? Why isn't Bush addressing this problem as well? Is he just going to leave it to the Democrats in 2008 to raise taxes? Is that the only solution? And if that is what happens, won't that affect our economy, much like what we see in Europe?

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

I do get what you are asking, but at this point I don't see any easy fixes. He really hasn't laid out any details yet, all just rederic. I suppose we will have to wait to see exactly what he is proposing.