A soup I got from the top of my head...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Recently I made this soup for someone many of you know here... :eusa_whistle:
She made me write down what I made it out of so I could make it again...I have to say...it is pretty awesome.

4 Mexican Chorizo links, casing removed.
1 Large Sweet Potato cut into about 1/2" cubes
1 Can Black Beans
1 cup Frozen Sweet Corn
1 Onion finely chopped
4 cups pre-made chicken broth, or one 32 oz box low sodium from store
1/3 cup cream
1 tsp dried thyme
1 TB sweet paprika
salt and pepper to taste.

Pretty simple, basically fry the onions and sausage till mostly brown and clear in a dutch oven or soup pot...then put in all other ingredients EXCEPT the cream, bring to boil then simmer cook for oh...30 minutes, test doneness of sweet potatoes...taste for salt/pepper seasoning add if desired..add cream and serve.
I add parmesan cheese in the bowls while serving. Goes great with a nice crusty bread.

I got the idea from a simple chorizo pasta dish I make from time to time, I added a can of black beans to make it stretch with unexpected company once and it ended up making it better.
The corn and paprika continue the southwestern "theme" of the soup...hmmm...maybe I will add some broken tortilla chips sprinkled on top next time...

I got the idea from a simple chorizo pasta dish I make from time to time, I added a can of black beans to make it stretch with unexpected company once and it ended up making it better.
The corn and paprika continue the southwestern "theme" of the soup...hmmm...maybe I will add some broken tortilla chips sprinkled on top next time...

Maybe use some corn tortillas simmered in hot sauce like they do in Chilaquiles?
Chilaquiles Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com

Beef and Vegetable Soup
1 1/2 - 2 lbs ground chuck
Beef broth
28 oz crushed tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
4 stalks celery sliced
1 onion diced
1 bell pepper chopped
5-6 cloves of garlic chopped
1 lb bag of carrots
1/4 bag match stick carrots
1 small head of cabbage chopped
2 -3 large potatoes coarsely chopped
1 can dark kidney beans drained
1 can whole kernel corn drained * optional
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, and parsley seasonings

Brown and drain beef. Sauté celery, onion, peppers, and garlic. Add beef stock, crushed and diced tomatoes, and seasoning to a large pot. Bring to a boil and add the 1 lb. bag of carrots. Stir and bring to a boil. After a few minutes reduce heat and simmer for 1 hr. Add the chopped cabbage and cook on medium while you open cans and prepare potatoes.
Add drained beans,corn, match stick carrots and potatoes. Stir, bring to a boil and then cover and simmer until veggies are done.

Recently I made this soup for someone many of you know here... :eusa_whistle:
She made me write down what I made it out of so I could make it again...I have to say...it is pretty awesome.

4 Mexican Chorizo links, casing removed.
1 Large Sweet Potato cut into about 1/2" cubes
1 Can Black Beans
1 cup Frozen Sweet Corn
1 Onion finely chopped
4 cups pre-made chicken broth, or one 32 oz box low sodium from store
1/3 cup cream
1 tsp dried thyme
1 TB sweet paprika
salt and pepper to taste.

Pretty simple, basically fry the onions and sausage till mostly brown and clear in a dutch oven or soup pot...then put in all other ingredients EXCEPT the cream, bring to boil then simmer cook for oh...30 minutes, test doneness of sweet potatoes...taste for salt/pepper seasoning add if desired..add cream and serve.
I add parmesan cheese in the bowls while serving. Goes great with a nice crusty bread.
Wow! Sounds rich and maybe fattening too.

I make lots of soups from scratch.

Step 1 is brown the meat on the outside until it is cooked on the inside too.

Step 2 is add hot water and scald this to pickup the caramelized gravy base in the pan.

Step 3 is spoon off the fat and oil.

Step 4 is simmer until the meat is soft and can be split with a fork.

Step 5 is add fresh vegies and noodles or rice.

Then taste, add salt & pepper, and simmer more until everything is soft or al dente.

This works for about any meat -- beef, veal, lamb, pork, chicken -- everything except fish.

For fish you add the fish last of all since fish cooks in seconds.

Fish soup is good too when made with salmon or tilapia.

Forum List

Back