A Serious Question for Liberals - Tax Rates

Most of the poor..are working poor.

The "rich" barely pay minimum wage for maximum work. And they've been doing that in the wake of massive tax cuts.

Not making enough to buy essentials..is a big burden.

the problem is people such as yourself say things such as "The "rich" barely pay minimum wage for maximum work" wiothout really qualifying what you are saying.

For example.....years ago, a switchboard operator had to handle dozens of calls a minute and route them properly without error. It was demanding on the mind; not to mention thge importance of not making mistakes.

Nowadays....a receptionist answers ONLY overflow calls thanks to voice mail...and if you are in business, as I used to be...you would sit in a reception area watching her/him text; read magazines, etc. Not knocking it....they have plenty of time...but iot is what it is.

So what should you pay someone to do that? $20 an hour? Why?

Take a machinist. Years ago, they used to have a true craft. They would have to cut pieces of copper and brass to the right size (to the millimeter) using a manual lathe...and they were paid whatever for their skill. Nowadays, all machine shops are CNC (computerized) and all the machinists need to do is insert the stock and watch the machine do the rest. No skill...no talent...no pride in their work.

So what do you pay them to life a 12 foot bar of brass and insert it into a machine 20 times a day? $20 an hour?

I am not saying they dont WANT to work hard..and I am not saying they dont PREFER to work hard.......what I am saying is that technology that copsts the business owner lots of money has actually made difficult jobs easy for anyone to do.

Dont blame the business owners. Blame technology.

You want "qualification"?

I worked for the NYSE for 13.5 years..and each year I got a stellar review.

I made a six figure salary, which was nice..but I busted my hump for each and every penny. I worked nights, weekends, over night..put in tons of overtime, helped to develop an application that rakes in around 40 million dollars a year..and helped build various NOCs, RNOCs and data repositories. My last year I worked 16 hours a day 6 days a week building a data center and got around a 9 grand bonus for that.

On the other hand..the newly hired CEO who LOST market share and oversaw a DECLINE in the stock price made some 10 million a year in overall compensation. 3 years on the job.

That qualify it enough?

No...because you left out the most important information...

What did that CEO do for the many years prior to warrant earning 10 million a year? My guess? Work 16 hours a day; bust his hump to generate a great income for his employer; work his way up the ladder; have little time with his family; etc.

CEO's of major corporations are not born CEO's.....they earn it over many years of being a "working stiff"....

The "rich" barely pay minimum wage for maximum work. And they've been doing that in the wake of massive tax cuts.

So who is to blame for the cost of those essentials going through the roof, Sallow? We've done five YEARS of "quantitative easing" now...with the Fed printing dollars at an unprecedented rate to try and keep our economy from going in the tank while Barry tries to figure out how to do his job. Every time you print more money it makes the money in your pocket worth less. The cost of food is up...the cost of health care is up...the cost of gas is up...the cost of practically everything is up...and not just a little. But you blame that on employers? I suppose your "solution" is to keep raising the minimum wage? People like you never cease to amaze me.

When you have a rift in employer to executive compensation of like 400:1..there's a problem.

The solution SHOULD be that employers pay their employees enough to survive without government assistance.

Think about "this", Sallow...

When that government is doing things that make every dime those employees make worth less...shouldn't the government be held accountable for what it's doing to those poor employees? Yet your solution to governmental mismanagement is to have the private sector employer pay them more?

How exactly are the rich "burdening" the poor who pay no Federal income tax at all while they collect the bulk of entitlement payouts? It's an interesting concept...

So who is to blame for the cost of those essentials going through the roof, Sallow? We've done five YEARS of "quantitative easing" now...with the Fed printing dollars at an unprecedented rate to try and keep our economy from going in the tank while Barry tries to figure out how to do his job. Every time you print more money it makes the money in your pocket worth less. The cost of food is up...the cost of health care is up...the cost of gas is up...the cost of practically everything is up...and not just a little. But you blame that on employers? I suppose your "solution" is to keep raising the minimum wage? People like you never cease to amaze me.

I dont have a problem with raising the minimum wage...it must go up with the cost of living. I have a problem with people saying there must be less sepoaration between the executive pays and the lower tier pays.

My philosophy is simple.....there is a minimum wage.....you get no less......what you get fromn there you must earn.

And contrary to what Sallow and others say....you most certainly can earn more if you show dedication to the cause...and not just your paycheck.

Employers pay for talent. It is not rocket scinece.

the problem is people such as yourself say things such as "The "rich" barely pay minimum wage for maximum work" wiothout really qualifying what you are saying.

For example.....years ago, a switchboard operator had to handle dozens of calls a minute and route them properly without error. It was demanding on the mind; not to mention thge importance of not making mistakes.

Nowadays....a receptionist answers ONLY overflow calls thanks to voice mail...and if you are in business, as I used to be...you would sit in a reception area watching her/him text; read magazines, etc. Not knocking it....they have plenty of time...but iot is what it is.

So what should you pay someone to do that? $20 an hour? Why?

Take a machinist. Years ago, they used to have a true craft. They would have to cut pieces of copper and brass to the right size (to the millimeter) using a manual lathe...and they were paid whatever for their skill. Nowadays, all machine shops are CNC (computerized) and all the machinists need to do is insert the stock and watch the machine do the rest. No skill...no talent...no pride in their work.

So what do you pay them to life a 12 foot bar of brass and insert it into a machine 20 times a day? $20 an hour?

I am not saying they dont WANT to work hard..and I am not saying they dont PREFER to work hard.......what I am saying is that technology that copsts the business owner lots of money has actually made difficult jobs easy for anyone to do.

Dont blame the business owners. Blame technology.

I made a six figure salary, which was nice..but I busted my hump for each and every penny. I worked nights, weekends, over night..put in tons of overtime, helped to develop an application that rakes in around 40 million dollars a year..and helped build various NOCs, RNOCs and data repositories. My last year I worked 16 hours a day 6 days a week building a data center and got around a 9 grand bonus for that.

On the other hand..the newly hired CEO who LOST market share and oversaw a DECLINE in the stock price made some 10 million a year in overall compensation. 3 years on the job.

That qualify it enough?

What did that CEO do for the many years prior to warrant earning 10 million a year? My guess? Work 16 hours a day; bust his hump to generate a great income for his employer; work his way up the ladder; have little time with his family; etc.

CEO's of major corporations are not born CEO's.....they earn it over many years of being a "working stiff"....

Look it up yourself.

Duncan Neiderhaurer.

You may want to look up "In the right place at the right time".

Met the man..too.

He likes to drink.

:alcoholic:

When you have a rift in employer to executive compensation of like 400:1..there's a problem.

The solution SHOULD be that employers pay their employees enough to survive without government assistance.

When that government is doing things that make every dime those employees make worth less...shouldn't the government be held accountable for what it's doing to those poor employees? Yet your solution to governmental mismanagement is to have the private sector employer pay them more?

this is true.

Employers want their employees to be able to feed themselves; clothe themselves; have a roof over their head. They dont want dirty, tired, sloppy employees..

Yet with all of the asissatnce programs, the employees are getting pnety off the backs of the employers through their taxes.

Take away the entitlements, and you will see salaries rise.

Except that's not what the government is doing.

It's been doing the opposite for the last thirty years.

The government has been doing the trickle down economics thing. Even the quantitative easing you are talking about is part and parcel with that.

Giving massive amounts of liquidity to the "Captains of Industry" basically has had the effect of these folks hording that wealth.

That qualify it enough?

Look it up yourself.

Duncan Neiderhaurer.

Met the man..too.

He likes to drink.

DUNCAN L. NIEDERAUER

CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Mr. Niederauer has served as chief executive officer and a director of NYSE Euronext since December 2007 and has served as a member of the Company's management committee since April 2007. Prior to his current position, Mr. Niederauer was President and co-Chief Operating Officer of NYSE Euronext with responsibility for U.S. cash equities.

Before joining NYSE Euronext in April 2007, Mr. Niederauer was Managing Director and co-Head of the Equities Division Execution Services franchise at Goldman, Sachs & Co. His career at Goldman Sachs spanned 22 years. Mr. Niederauer has served on the board of Archipelago Holdings, LLC and Colgate University, and now serves on the board of Operation Hope, and the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation. His current memberships include the G100, the British-American Business Council International Advisory Committee, the Partnership for New York City, the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy, the Shanghai International Financial Advisory Committee, the Museum of American Finance, and Fundacao Dom Cabral in Brazil. He earned an MBA from Emory University and a BA from Colgate University.

Do you think he did all that by being a nobody? Do you think one day people said..."he has shown us nothing; no work ethic; not dedication......all he does is drink...so lets put him on a multitude of boards and make him a CEO of something special?

C'mon sallow......debate with integrity.

The government has been doing the trickle down economics thing. Even the quantitative easing you are talking about is part and parcel with that.

Giving massive amounts of liquidity to the "Captains of Industry" basically has had the effect of these folks hording that wealth.

In a free society.. you can hoard wealth, you can spend it, you can invest it, hell you can stick it up your ass for all anyone should care...

Government does not exist to take it away in some bullshit fairness game

I dont have a problem with raising the minimum wage...it must go up with the cost of living. I have a problem with people saying there must be less sepoaration between the executive pays and the lower tier pays.

My philosophy is simple.....there is a minimum wage.....you get no less......what you get fromn there you must earn.

And contrary to what Sallow and others say....you most certainly can earn more if you show dedication to the cause...and not just your paycheck.

Employers pay for talent. It is not rocket scinece.

Minimum wage jobs were never supposed to be jobs that you supported a family on. Minimum wage jobs are a "bridge" to better paying jobs. You're 100% correct about employers paying for talent. What you should also point out to people like Sallow is that for most employers hiring people without skills that need to be trained in order to do a job (which is your typical minimum wage position) costs the employer a great deal of money. There is generally a loss of production whenever you plug a newbie into a job...they're not up to speed and someone else has to take time from what they are doing to train them and watch them to make sure they don't screw up something badly.

This notion that employers purposely keep people in low paying minimum wage jobs is a crock. Generally speaking people keep THEMSELVES in low paying jobs. If you're a hard worker who's ambitious? Employers are more than happy to promote you to a job that has more responsibility and more pay. What the Sallow's of the world want is high wages for the people who don't work hard and aren't ambitious.

There is no such thing as "trickle down" economics in the real world, Sallow. That's a misnomer coined by progressives.

The fact is profits trickle up...not the other way around. When I open a new restaurant I don't get paid first as the owner. Before that restaurant ever opens I will have to pay people to do the build out...I will pay purveyors for their goods...I will hire and train a staff to work in the establishment...I will pay for advertising and promotion. ALL of that capital will come out of my pocket LONG before I see any profits coming back in (if I ever see them at all!). Trickle down? Don't make me laugh...

Look it up yourself.

Duncan Neiderhaurer.

Met the man..too.

He likes to drink.

DUNCAN L. NIEDERAUER

CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Mr. Niederauer has served as chief executive officer and a director of NYSE Euronext since December 2007 and has served as a member of the Company's management committee since April 2007. Prior to his current position, Mr. Niederauer was President and co-Chief Operating Officer of NYSE Euronext with responsibility for U.S. cash equities.

Before joining NYSE Euronext in April 2007, Mr. Niederauer was Managing Director and co-Head of the Equities Division Execution Services franchise at Goldman, Sachs & Co. His career at Goldman Sachs spanned 22 years. Mr. Niederauer has served on the board of Archipelago Holdings, LLC and Colgate University, and now serves on the board of Operation Hope, and the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation. His current memberships include the G100, the British-American Business Council International Advisory Committee, the Partnership for New York City, the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy, the Shanghai International Financial Advisory Committee, the Museum of American Finance, and Fundacao Dom Cabral in Brazil. He earned an MBA from Emory University and a BA from Colgate University.

Do you think he did all that by being a nobody? Do you think one day people said..."he has shown us nothing; no work ethic; not dedication......all he does is drink...so lets put him on a multitude of boards and make him a CEO of something special?

Gee, Jar...that's the way it worked with Barack Obama. Just saying...:cool:

Look it up yourself.

Duncan Neiderhaurer.

Met the man..too.

He likes to drink.

DUNCAN L. NIEDERAUER

CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Debate on what?

He basically got in the right club..showed up and made moulla.

Don't try to snow me pal. I was there.

There is no such thing as "trickle down" economics in the real world, Sallow. That's a misnomer coined by progressives.

The fact is profits trickle up...not the other way around. When I open a new restaurant I don't get paid first as the owner. Before that restaurant ever opens I will have to pay people to do the build out...I will pay purveyors for their goods...I will hire and train a staff to work in the establishment...I will pay for advertising and promotion. ALL of that capital will come out of my pocket LONG before I see any profits coming back in (if I ever see them at all!). Trickle down? Don't make me laugh...

You ever really open a restaurant?

I had a bar. And yeah..you have to do all that stuff.

It's a rich man's game. Meant to keep out the small fry.

the problem is, progressives ignore that part. They look at a business owners success and define them at that point moving forward.

When I started my first company, I worked 15 hour days not including my 2 hours a day commute so I could barely make a living my first year.

And as soon as I started to make money that was above what I needed? I was forced to hire people to meet the increase in demand for my services...so my second year, I barely made as much as my first year, and still had to work the long hours...and yes, the priofits started to come in by year three...as I would hire someone at 30K and get a return of 50K.....but I didnt start to enjoy some vacation time until my fourth year...and let me tell you...when you are a buisness owner...the vacations are more for the family as you are constantly in touch with the office.

Sure...now...at the age of 54 and after selling my companies, I am enjoying my life...and yes, I enjoyed my life for the past 15 years.....but that first 15 years? Stress like one can not believe.

Oh yeah...and did I mention that during my nearly 3 decades as a business owner, I employed dozens of people?

I've been in the nightclub and restaurant business since the 1970's and I've opened a ton of places. That's why I find your concept of "trickle down" so amusing. It doesn't exist and if you owned a bar then you should KNOW that.

Look it up yourself.

Duncan Neiderhaurer.

Met the man..too.

He likes to drink.

DUNCAN L. NIEDERAUER

CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Debate on what?

No you were not there Sallow. YToiu were not there when that guy worked his 15 hoiur days 6 days a week for 22 years at Golkdman Sachs. You were not there when, in his early 20's, while his friends were getting laid and partying, he was in the library so he can get his masters and join Goldman. You were not there when his kids wanted him to watch them in a school play, and instead he had to work late to accomodate his clients on the west coast.

You were there when he recieved the rewards for decades of hard work.

That "club" thing is earned......

And all of that stuff takes more than just money. It takes YEARS off of your life...HOURS away from family.

It is not a rich mans game....it is the game of those willing to sacrifice.

DUNCAN L. NIEDERAUER

CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Debate on what?

No you were not there Sallow. YToiu were not there when that guy worked his 15 hoiur days 6 days a week for 22 years at Golkdman Sachs. You were not there when, in his early 20's, while his friends were getting laid and partying, he was in the library so he can get his masters and join Goldman. You were not there when his kids wanted him to watch them in a school play, and instead he had to work late to accomodate his clients on the west coast.

You were there when he recieved the rewards for decades of hard work.

That "club" thing is earned......
speaking of Goldman Sachs, did you know that the current CEO of Goldman Sachs has actually endorsed the Presidents plan to avoid the fiscal cliff?

the problem is, progressives ignore that part. They look at a business owners success and define them at that point moving forward.

When I started my first company, I worked 15 hour days not including my 2 hours a day commute so I could barely make a living my first year.

And as soon as I started to make money that was above what I needed? I was forced to hire people to meet the increase in demand for my services...so my second year, I barely made as much as my first year, and still had to work the long hours...and yes, the priofits started to come in by year three...as I would hire someone at 30K and get a return of 50K.....but I didnt start to enjoy some vacation time until my fourth year...and let me tell you...when you are a buisness owner...the vacations are more for the family as you are constantly in touch with the office.

Sure...now...at the age of 54 and after selling my companies, I am enjoying my life...and yes, I enjoyed my life for the past 15 years.....but that first 15 years? Stress like one can not believe.

Oh yeah...and did I mention that during my nearly 3 decades as a business owner, I employed dozens of people?

And every single one of those people got paid BEFORE you took a dime in profits...didn't they?

Progressives like Sallow have this misconception that businesses work by paying employees whatever is left over after a wealthy owner has taken what he thinks is a fair share for themselves. It's amusing. When I owned businesses I often times had to eat and sleep at them because I needed every dime I could scrape together to make payroll and keep goods coming in the door for us to sell. I was not only not getting minimum wage...I was often times dipping deep into my savings.

Last edited:

Maybe you saw it as a rich mans game becuase those that succeeded and became rich were willing to put in the long hours and deal with the pressures of growth and development?

Maybe you did not get rich doing it becuase you werent willing to make such a sacrifice? Not knocking it...some people criticize me for sacrificing family time...heck I was told on here that I was a bad father...

Well...someone has to do it or there would be no jobs for anyone.

Forum List

Back