A Sect of a Sect, Hidden In Plain Sight

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I have always found subcultures, living within our society, as a fascinating topic. I recall first reading about the disco culture, Odyssey, and then 'Saturday Night Fever, before it exploded onto the scene.
And, Peter Maas's "King of the Gypsies"....amazing culture that few know about.

But I just read this, from the Daily Beast....
...about a secret police that exists within a sect of the Jewish community:

1. " Wearing masks, the men broke into her bedroom after dark to confiscate the evidence. They are not the law or the mafia, and she is neither a criminal nor a rat. Baila Gluck was just a 15-year-old girl, and it was just a cell phone, but to the Vaad Hatznius—the self-appointed arbiters of right and wrong in the Satmar Orthodox Jewish community—Baila might as well have been holding a time bomb.

2. The Satmars, ... know and fear Vaad Hatznius, which means “modesty committee,” but most people have never heard of the group and its practices, which can include intimidation, threats and even “arrests”—for example, of a girl who attends a party with boys, or a religious man who shaves his beard.

a. ...no official permission from the state to engage in law enforcement, Jews who live under the Vaad’s law say beatings, harassment and stolen property are all too common.

3. “Many within in the community call it the Taliban as a joke,” said Deborah Feldman, who grew up in Satmar Williamsburg ...“They answer to no one. They can get away with whatever they want,” Feldman said.

4. Some members of the community won’t even acknowledge its existence....

5. Proponents of the Vaad argue that such a unique religious community is constantly under assault by the modern world, and that safeguarding the Satmar way of life—which centers on prayer, simplicity and family—can only be achieved by self-policing.

6. Scholars point out that the Vaad emerged to prevent any infractions of yichud, the Orthodox rule forbidding a man and a woman who are not related from being alone together, as well as to keep young women dressing modestly—covered arms, legs and collarbones, plus covered hair for married women—and away from music, movies and books that don’t meet Satmar standards.

7. “The Torah doesn’t say, ‘Make a modesty squad.’ They made it themselves,” said Judy Genut, a victims’ advocate and resident of the community who says she grew up with the accused woman.

8. Feldman said she feared punishment from the group when she attended Sarah Lawrence College and drove on its campus—two actions Satmar women are prohibited from taking. Although her car had tinted windows, she said she was convinced a dark car with the Vaad logo was following her.

9. “They are now comprised of people with a lot of financial power and spiritual currency,” Feldman said, characterizing the committee as an outlet for the angry, the violent and the “easily manipulated."
At Orthodox Sex-Abuse Trial, Little-Known Enforcement Group Comes To Light - The Daily Beast

Fascinating......but....

do I not hear echoes of other kinds of groups that enforce strict behaviors?

"Bleach thrown in face of rabbi who writes about sex abuse in Williamsburg’s Orthodox Jewish community

(Brooklyn, New York) – A Brooklyn rabbi who writes a blog about sex abuse within the insular, Orthodox Jewish community of Williamsburg told PIX 11 he had bleach thrown in his face by another Hasidic man Tuesday.

Rabbi Nachum Rosenberg told PIX11 he was walking down Roebling Street, when a man with a beard and black coat ran across from a fish store and confronted him.

“He takes a full cup of bleach and he spilled it onto me. Half of my face is burned, and my left eye, I can’t see right out of it. I see everything very faded.”

The attack happened one day after a jury convicted a prominent Satmar Hasidic man, Nechemya Weberman, of repeatedly molesting a student in the community, starting when she was just 12 years old. Weberman, an unlicensed counselor, faces up to 117 years in prison, when he’s sentenced next month. Many Hasidic men in the community raised money for his defense.

The trial exposed secrets about the alleged Satmar Hasidic “modesty squads” that allegedly raid the homes of girls and families that don’t follow the strict rules of the Hasidic community."
Bleach thrown in face of rabbi who writes about sex abuse in Orthodox Jewish community | PIX 11

Forum List

Back