A revolt is growing as more people refuse to pay back student loans

There should be no student loans at all. Maybe if enough people refuse to pay the whole program will be scrapped.

Then the idiots can demand new car loan forgiveness.

Yup. Thats the reason that Bush I got rid of student loans. They weren't being payed back and the taxpayers were on the hook.

Clinton reinstated those loans and we've been loaning money for college ever since.

Should do away with Govt, i.e. taxpayers, funding anyone going to college.

If you want to go to college get a loan on your own, get a job or dont go. No way should we taxpayers pay for anyone's college costs.

their education is FREE from K-12

the taxpayers shouldn't be responsible for anymore than that. but some don't seem to mind living their whole lives off the taxpayers back it seems.

I'm just shocked, a supposedly upstanding newspaper would even print something like that. Like hey no big deal, revolt on your responsibilities in life...
Stephanie did you read the article?

'Corinthian, which runs Everest Institute, Wyotech and Heald College, has become the poster child for the worst practices in the for-profit education sector, including high loan defaults and dubious programs. Clouded by allegations of deceptive marketing and lying to the government about its graduation rates, Corinthian lost its access to federal funds last year, forcing the company to sell or close its schools.'

"The department has broad authority to cancel federal student loans when colleges violate students’ rights and state law. There is even a clause in federal student loan agreements that says: “In some cases, you may assert, as a defense against collection of your loan, that the school did something wrong or failed to do something that it should have done.”

Free HIGHER education, for those who qualify, would only make OUR country a better place. I think the OP is right, with ALL the darn taxes we have to pay, we should have better options for higher education. That would be a WONDERFUL idea. I just don't think it's viable because so many people cannot see the bigger picture. Hopefully some day, when our civilization has advanced past political bull crap, we can really look at this idea and employ it. It would help everyone and help our country too.

Free HIGHER education, for those who qualify, would only make OUR country a better place. I think the OP is right, with ALL the darn taxes we have to pay, we should have better options for higher education. That would be a WONDERFUL idea. I just don't think it's viable because so many people cannot see the bigger picture. Hopefully some day, when our civilization has advanced past political bull crap, we can really look at this idea and employ it. It would help everyone and help our country too.

We have too many college graduates as it is. A college diploma has become the equivalent of what a high school diploma was in before WW II. spewing out more college graduates will only devalue the people who already have diplomas. There are only so many people who can work in white collar jobs. The world still needs auto mechanics and carpenters.

We have too many college graduates as it is. A college diploma has become the equivalent of what a high school diploma was in before WW II. spewing out more college graduates will only devalue the people who already have diplomas. There are only so many people who can work in white collar jobs. The world still needs auto mechanics and carpenters.

You have to be educated to be a mechanic too, you know. A lot of it is now computer related. This doesn't just mean university higher education, but other jobs that you NOW, in today's day and age, need a higher education in order to do.

A revolt is growing as more people refuse to pay back student loans - The Washington Post
For those that won't read the article and simply read the title, they're protesting illegal practices at their alma mater that cost them a quality education, not the general idea of school loans. It is NOT a growing movement to protest growing student loan debt.
Your thoughts?
You are seeing kneejerk reactions from people who probably didn't even read the article, and if they did, they went in with preconceived notions which blinded them to the specifics of the case at hand of a fraudulent business which ripped a lot of people off.

The problem I see with a free education is that, if everyone has access to free college education, which is a good idea on paper, it makes the standard rise, and once again you're just an average person. I believe in today's world college education is to make you stand out. Unfortunately education these days is only to get you ready for a job, and little else.
How do you think we maintained our innovative edge against the rest of the world?

Education. That's our edge, and we have eliminated it.

Look at it this way. What if everyone in America was illiterate? We'd all be "just an average person" in that case, too, right?

That's actually where we are headed. A nation of retards. The majority of posts on this forum are evidence.

the WashintonCompost is telling people to IGNORE their obligations and just tell everyone who paid for theirs to.......... FUCK OFF.

Does every decision you make stem from jealousy and/ or anger? Sheesh...this aint about you Steph....it never is

The problem I see with a free education is that, if everyone has access to free college education, which is a good idea on paper, it makes the standard rise, and once again you're just an average person. I believe in today's world college education is to make you stand out. Unfortunately education these days is only to get you ready for a job, and little else.
How do you think we maintained our innovative edge against the rest of the world?

Look at it this way. What if everyone in America was illiterate? We'd all be "just an average person" in that case, too, right?

That's actually where we are headed. A nation of retards. The majority of posts on this forum are evidence.
I used to agree with you, and on a social level, I believe we should be educated, but what's this going to do to the job market? It will definitely make college education less of a stand out, but maybe that consequence is worth a more educated society. I guess I'm more on the fence about this one

I used to agree with you, and on a social level, I believe we should be educated, but what's this going to do to the job market? I guess I'm more on the fence about this one
What will it do to the job market? It will create higher paying jobs! It will restore our technological and innovative edge.

The reason we have labor union protectionism is because our workforce is so dumbed down, they are only capable of doing jobs an uneducated Third Worlder could do in a country with little infrastructure. We don't need to keep lava lamp making jobs here, paying them a ridiculous high wage. We need to be creating high tech jobs which DESERVE high wages, and that requires a highly educated workforce.

You see very little unionism in high tech jobs, because those skills are so rare that the workers are compensated accordingly.

If we train our workforce for the jobs of tomorrow, instead of the jobs their fathers did, then we will see more and more high tech jobs. And that would actually be good for labor unions, because as high tech skills become more common in the workforce, then that makes the high tech jobs market an employers market, which means high tech workers will need to start unionizing.

America is losing its technological edge. That is what is going to bring us down, not homosexuals like the uneducated retards have been led to believe.

You would quite literally have to be stupid to be against more higher education for Americans.

I used to agree with you, and on a social level, I believe we should be educated, but what's this going to do to the job market? I guess I'm more on the fence about this one
What will it do to the job market? It will create higher paying jobs! It will restore our technological and innovative edge.

The reason we have labor union protectionism is because our workforce is so dumbed down, they are only capable of doing jobs an uneducated Third Worlder could do in a country with little infrastructure.

You see very little unionism in high tech jobs, because those skills are so rare that the workers are compensated accordingly.

If we train our workforce for the jobs of tomorrow, instead of the jobs their fathers did, then we will see more and more high tech jobs. And that would actually be good for labor unions, because as high tech skills become more common in the workforce, then that makes the high tech jobs market an employer's market, which means high tech workers will need to start unionizing.

America is losing its technological edge. That is what is going to bring us down, not homosexuals like the uneducated retards have been led to believe.

You would quite literally have to be stupid to be against more education for Americans.
I guess I've never thought of it that way. Thanks for this post.

The reason we have labor union protectionism is because our workforce is so dumbed down, they are only capable of doing jobs an uneducated Third Worlder could do in a country with little infrastructure. We don't need to keep lava lamp making jobs here, paying them a ridiculous high wage. We need to be creating high tech jobs which DESERVE high wages, and that requires a highly educated workforce.

If we train our workforce for the jobs of tomorrow, instead of the jobs their fathers did, then we will see more and more high tech jobs. And that would actually be good for labor unions, because as high tech skills become more common in the workforce, then that makes the high tech jobs market an employers market, which means high tech workers will need to start unionizing.

You would quite literally have to be stupid to be against more education for Americans.

It will do nothing of the sort. Putting a bunch of dim bulbs in college isn't going to create a single job. Do you actually think these losers are going to invent the next iPhone? People capable of advancing technology are already in college, or they don't even need a college degree, like Steve Jobs.

And you were one of those that backed Cliven " don't make me pay for grazing" Bundy.
Hypocrite. Complete through and through.

the WashintonCompost is telling people to IGNORE their obligations and just tell everyone who paid for theirs to.......... FUCK OFF.

what a disgusting paper and the REVOLT should be against THEM and people not putting money in their pockets for crap they put out

We have too many college graduates as it is.

Something only a true retard could possibly say.

ROFL! Tell that to all those graduates who have $100,000 in student loans and no job.
And now we come to the actual point of the OP article. Finally.

Those $100,000 loans went to fraudulent businesses that were not providing the education they promised to provide.

Get it now?

Yeah, they are called public universities. Most people with a huge student loan debt have a degree from a public university or a well respected private university. These institutions are deluding their students that they can get good jobs with degrees in psychology and art history.

It will do nothing of the sort. Putting a bunch of dim bulbs in college isn't going to create a single job. Do you actually think these losers are going to invent the next iPhone? People of advancing technology are already in college, or they don't even need a college degree, like Steve Jobs.

Invent the new iPhone? It doesn't take much to fit parts together and snap metal on top of it. Most people go into college because they are 'dim bulbs', that's kinda the whole fucking point of education. People of advancing technology? What people? These classes are dropping in population because people can't pay for the classes. Seems mighty unfair to be unable to obtain a certain job just because of your monetary situation.

And what's that about Steve Jobs, the dude that stole his partners work, then copied another companies work just to make his copy famous? Steve Jobs is the exact kind of person we don't want in these fields.

Forum List

Back