A Republican meteorologist's view of global warming

American Institute of Physics, the biggest scientific society of physicists in the world;

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

Yet, for some unexplained reason, increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere does not result in a corresponding increase in temperature as predicted by all the models. Even stranger, most so called climate scientist continue to use the models that have proven to be wrong.

I'm going to tell you something that my Republican friends are loath to admit out loud: climate change is real. I'm a moderate Republican, fiscally conservative; a fan of small government, accountability, self-empowerment and sound science. I am not a climate scientist. I'm a Penn State meteorologist, and the weather maps I'm staring at are making me very uncomfortable. No, you're not imagining it: we've clicked into a new and almost foreign weather pattern. To complicate matters I'm in a small, frustrated and endangered minority: a Republican deeply concerned about the environmental sacrifices some are asking us to make to keep our economy powered-up. It's ironic. The root of the word conservative is "conserve". A staunch Republican, Teddy Roosevelt, set aside vast swaths of America for our National Parks System, the envy of the world. Another Republican, Richard Nixon, launched the EPA. Now some in my party believe the EPA and all those silly "global warming alarmists" are going to get in the way of drilling and mining our way to prosperity. Well, we have good reason to be alarmed.

Paul Douglas: A Message From a Republican Meteorologist on Climate Change

A weatherman, how neat.

I have a physicist.

It is easy to be confused about climate, because we are constantly being warned about the horrible things that will happen or are already happening as a result of mankind's use of fossil fuels. But these ominous predictions are based on computer models. It is important to distinguish between what the climate is actually doing and what computer models predict. The observed response of the climate to more CO2 is not in good agreement with model predictions.

We need high-quality climate science because of the importance of climate to mankind. But we should also remember the description of how science works by the late, great physicist, Richard Feynman:

"In general we look for a new law by the following process. First we guess it. Then we compute the consequences of the guess to see what would be implied if this law that we guessed is right. Then we compare the result of the computation to nature, with experiment or experience; compare it directly with observation, to see if it works. If it disagrees with experiment it is wrong."

The most important component of climate science is careful, long-term observations of climate-related phenomena, from space, from land, and in the oceans. If observations do not support code predictions—like more extreme weather, or rapidly rising global temperatures—Feynman has told us what conclusions to draw about the theory.
William Happer: Global Warming Models Are Wrong Again - WSJ.com

The two largest reinsurance companies in the world state that we are seeing a rapid increase in extreme weather. And the number of record heat temps are on the record. So Happner has the observations that he wanted. If now he denies the warming, he is just another paid whore like Lindzen and Singer.

The article by the meteorologist gave the numbers and sources.

I have a physicist that points out that, even though temperature is increasing, it is not increasing at a rate that the models predict. You counter with two companies that make money if they can increase premiums by arguing that there is a rapid increase in extreme weather.

Anyone else see a problem here?

Critical thinking, you should try it.

American Institute of Physics, the biggest scientific society of physicists in the world;

Yet, for some unexplained reason, increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere does not result in a corresponding increase in temperature as predicted by all the models. Even stranger, most so called climate scientist continue to use the models that have proven to be wrong.

Yep for example the IPCC model projected less arctic ice decreases then actually occurred
Arctic Ice Thinning 4 Times Faster Than Predicted by IPCC Models, Semi-Stunning M.I.T. Study Finds | ThinkProgress

Another study found that human caused emissions had a higher effect on climate then models originally predicted.
Climate Sensitivity Higher Than We Thought, Researchers Find | ThinkProgress

Yep for example the IPCC model projected less arctic ice decreases then actually occurred
Arctic Ice Thinning 4 Times Faster Than Predicted by IPCC Models, Semi-Stunning M.I.T. Study Finds | ThinkProgress

Another study found that human caused emissions had a higher effect on climate then models originally predicted.
Climate Sensitivity Higher Than We Thought, Researchers Find | ThinkProgress

Which just bolsters my point, the models are wrong.

Which just proves you should go back to your room and not come out until you get smart.

Last edited:
Been asking for years now for one repeatable lab experiment showing how a .01% change in atmospheric composition by adding CO2 does any of the things is supposed to

Paul Douglas: A Message From a Republican Meteorologist on Climate Change

Weather 2.0.: "It's a new atmosphere floating overhead."

These are the Dog Days of March. Ham Weather reports 5,299 records in the last 7 days -- some towns 20 to 35 degrees warmer than average; off-the-scale, freakishly warm. 17,360 records since March 1. Sixteen times more warm records than cold records since March 1. The scope, intensity and duration of this early heat wave are historic and unprecedented. And yes, climate change is probably a contributing factor12. "Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get." 129,404 weather records in one year, nationwide? You can't point to any one weather extreme and say "that's climate change". But a warmer, wetter atmosphere loads the dice, increasing the potential for historic spikes in temperature and more frequent and bizarre weather extremes. You can't prove that any one of Barry Bond's 762 home runs was sparked by (alleged) steroid use. But it did increase his "base state", raising the overall odds of hitting a home run. A warmer atmosphere holds more water vapor, more fuel for floods, while increased evaporation pushes other regions into drought.

Here's what I suspect: the patient is running a slight fever. Symptoms include violent tornado sneezes, severe sniffles of flooding and raging rashes of jaw-dropping warmth. It's 85 in March. What will July bring? It's as if Mother Nature seized the weather remote, clicked America's seasons on fast-forward, turning the volume on extreme weather up to a deafening 10. This isn't even close to being "normal". Weather Underground's Dr. Jeff Masters put it best. "This is not the atmosphere I grew up with."

How is a .01% change a "new atmosphere"?

Funny thing about Douglas Kruhoeffer aka Paul Douglas. He admits he isn't a "climate scientist", just a meteorologist. What the heck is a meteorologist anyway? A guy who reads a TV script and points to a weather map? Why is his opinion so important to the left ? Because he claims to be a ...gasp....republican. The radical left must be desperate.

Of course climate change is real.

The climate of the earth is constantly changing . Climate changed before people even existed and it will change while we exist and it will change after we are all extinct.

What's not real are the predictions of death destruction and cataclysm that you alarmists like to use to scare people into accepting more government control over their lives.

Last edited:

Yeah, but the "Science is "Settled"

Get those pop-culture idiots, including moderate republicans, out in the field to examine ice core samples and climate history going back before ....gasp...hurricane Katrina and they might find that their pet theories based on crap science don't hold water (or ice).

Funny thing about Douglas Kruhoeffer aka Paul Douglas. He admits he isn't a "climate scientist", just a meteorologist. What the heck is a meteorologist anyway? A guy who reads a TV script and points to a weather map? Why is his opinion so important to the left ? Because he claims to be a ...gasp....republican. The radical left must be desperate.

I thought the word "meteorologist" meant a person who was attractive, has big hair, big eyes and just finished filming a beer commercial in which she was dancing in a T-shirt.

Are you telling me she also knows something about the weather?

Get those pop-culture idiots, including moderate republicans, out in the field to examine ice core samples and climate history going back before ....gasp...hurricane Katrina and they might find that their pet theories based on crap science don't hold water (or ice).

You stupid fuck, it is the climatologists that are studying the ice cores, going back beyond 650,000 years ago. Vostok ring a bell with you, cretin?

Since when are weathermen experts on climate? Especially Republican weathermen.

:lol:

What one expects from a partisan ass like you, Sis. The man gave his sources in the article, and stated that he was not an expert, but the sources he gave for each point were experts in their field.

Forum List

Back