A Question On USMB Etiquette

Is there a thread explaining the uses of "thanks" and "reps"? I've read through the rules and guidelines and made a search, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Is it proper etiquette to return a "thanks" or a "rep"? I've been trying to figure out the appropriate uses for and responses to them, and have been using "thanks" as saying "I agree," but the rep thing is new to me so I forget it's even there. I'm trying to improve on remembering the rep thing.

I THINK a "thanks" is simply saying "thanks" and that's the end of it, and a "rep" gives points or whatever.

The expected response to them is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Gather as much rep as you can. It's as important as breathing.

Get involved in a clique. Post benign, banal things so people think you're nonthreatening. Post in the Tavern or the Lounge. Share stories about your life, preferably emotional ones. Rep anyone with a high amount of rep repeatedly. Use up all your daily allotment.

Or ...

Pick a side and be really obnoxious, insulting the intelligence and ethics of your opponents. Your "team" will flood you with rep.

Soon, you too will have a high rep count and will have a high self-esteem.

Thanking people is for pussies. There's no payback.

And always remember, rep is more important than breathing.

Rep may be more important than breathing, but it doesn't hold a candle to DRINKING.

Is there a thread explaining the uses of "thanks" and "reps"? I've read through the rules and guidelines and made a search, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Is it proper etiquette to return a "thanks" or a "rep"? I've been trying to figure out the appropriate uses for and responses to them, and have been using "thanks" as saying "I agree," but the rep thing is new to me so I forget it's even there. I'm trying to improve on remembering the rep thing.

I THINK a "thanks" is simply saying "thanks" and that's the end of it, and a "rep" gives points or whatever.

The expected response to them is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Gather as much rep as you can. It's as important as breathing.

Get involved in a clique. Post benign, banal things so people think you're nonthreatening. Post in the Tavern or the Lounge. Share stories about your life, preferably emotional ones. Rep anyone with a high amount of rep repeatedly. Use up all your daily allotment.

Or ...

Pick a side and be really obnoxious, insulting the intelligence and ethics of your opponents. Your "team" will flood you with rep.

Soon, you too will have a high rep count and will have a high self-esteem.

Thanking people is for pussies. There's no payback.

And always remember, rep is more important than breathing.

Rep may be more important than breathing, but it doesn't hold a candle to DRINKING.

And on that, I'm going to have a scotch.

A wee early pour moi, but I'll be having a glass of Chardonnay in about 3 hours.

There isn't really an "established protocal" regarding that - I think it's up to the individual.

Personally I like to to thank for a rep, though I don't for a "thanks" - it's a very individualistic thing :)

Others like to issue a flame for a thanks; and a neg rep in return for a pos rep.

Not just individualistic, but kinda -- I dunno --

contrary.

There isn't really an "established protocal" regarding that - I think it's up to the individual.

Personally I like to to thank for a rep, though I don't for a "thanks" - it's a very individualistic thing :)

Others like to issue a flame for a thanks; and a neg rep in return for a pos rep.

contrary.

Mebbe they need some etiquette lessons:eusa_shhh:

contrary.

Mebbe they need some etiquette lessons:eusa_shhh:

:cool:

Think. Just THINK of the forms that set of lessons could take!

The Coyote School of Etiquette is open for business.

First on the agenda:
Flea Control
The advantages of a varied internet diet
How to avoid becoming internet roadkill
How to extracate a size 12 shoe from a size 7 oriface
and
to lighten up such serious topics, we'll end with comic relief: Spelling Nazi's Be Damned!

:D

You can do whatever you want with rep. Sometimes I return a pos rep with one of my own...sometimes I don't. Rep is mostly highschool stuff. It has it's pluses and minuses. Plus is..you get to bump someone up that was slapped with a neg rep and didn't deserve it. Minuses is...it can be used as a weapon.
The thanks button is just that...thanking someone for a great post.

I'm learning about "used as a weapon" thing. Thanks for the response.

Keep in mind....on that "used as a weapon" thing....there's a theory that neg rep given is inversely proportional to the neggers genitalia size.

Or so I've heard ;)

I have heard that too...the Big watch/little .... analogy.

Forum List

Back