A question of obligations?

Should the average, working class American feel any obligation whatsoever arising from the ills that afflict third world countries? Sure it sucks that there are starving children in Africa and elsewhere, many with aids. Sucks for them anyway. But should anyone really feel obligated to make personal sacrifices on their behalf? If yes, why do you think so and how much of a sacrifice is sufficient to warrant a good night's sleep?

When you say working-class Americans, are you assuming that by the relatively insular effect their work has on others, they're not directly or indirectly complicit in any suffering caused by corporate misadventure or negligence in the undeveloped nations they're operating in?

If you are, you could quite understandably be accused of ignoring the bigger picture. For instance, if a working-class American contractor that knows he's getting an above average deal on wood for a project/contract because the lumber yard sources its timber from a business who have a proven track record of using unethical methods of harvesting timber that conflict with trading standards, that the customer is turning a blind eye to the suffering incurred by cutting corners. Thus ideally obligating them to offer redress in the form of making private donations to an organisation that aids or acts on behalf those affected by the unethical extraction methods used to source their cheap timber. It's a bit like the whole illegal immigrant/employer of illegal immigrants tail chasing debate.

I know I'm being a bit difficult, but I think it's important to carefully consider the degree(s) of seperation as I work in a field that requires me to come into contact with and safely dispose of hazardous materials. I take the safe/legal route not because I'm concerned with the welfare the people in the third world who are sometimes outsourced to deal with said material, but because I'm terrified of incurring a crippling fine from the authorities that could potentially devasate my business.

Are you aware that a lot of the US's medical waste is dumped in the ocean off the coast of Somalia?

http://viewzone.com/pirates.html

What? You never heard of this before?

Humans are an amazing species. We are capable of the best and worst. At best we can survive and struggle against almost anything to ensure our survival. The Somali people did. Faced with no government to protect them from the pollution of their ocean, and the depletion of their only source of food, they organized against the dumping. They organized locally in tribes, and the tribes organized clans. With no coast guard, the Somali fishermen tried to thwart off the huge ships that were dumping uranium, mercury, lead, medical waste and other toxins on their food supply and livelihood. They knew their small effort would have little effect on the huge dumping companies... but maybe if the world knew... maybe the world would stop them.

Last edited:
Should the average, working class American feel any obligation whatsoever arising from the ills that afflict third world countries? Sure it sucks that there are starving children in Africa and elsewhere, many with aids. Sucks for them anyway. But should anyone really feel obligated to make personal sacrifices on their behalf? If yes, why do you think so and how much of a sacrifice is sufficient to warrant a good night's sleep?

There are starving children in this country..... right along with people aids and the homeless.

My obligations are right here first. When we ourselves have no issues then we can worry about the rest of the world

That just sounds like a convenient excuse to me since it's ludicrous to expect we'd ever have no issues with poverty domestically. I'm not criticizing you for not giving a shit about poverty in Africa mind you, as I share your ambivalence. But I am criticizing you for fabricating a bogus justification.

Did you or did you not ask where we think our obligations lay?

There are starving children in this country..... right along with people aids and the homeless.

My obligations are right here first. When we ourselves have no issues then we can worry about the rest of the world

That just sounds like a convenient excuse to me since it's ludicrous to expect we'd ever have no issues with poverty domestically. I'm not criticizing you for not giving a shit about poverty in Africa mind you, as I share your ambivalence. But I am criticizing you for fabricating a bogus justification.

I did not.

I did not.

:lol:

I did not.

:lol:

Yes, I'm laughing at you too.

Reflect on what you bolded and perhaps you'll understand why.

No, the average working class American has an obligation to himself and that/those for which he is personally reponsible. If he so chooses to take on added responsibility, then let him do so with his own resources, and not demand the same of others.

Forum List

Back