A question of obligations?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Should the average, working class American feel any obligation whatsoever arising from the ills that afflict third world countries? Sure it sucks that there are starving children in Africa and elsewhere, many with aids. Sucks for them anyway. But should anyone really feel obligated to make personal sacrifices on their behalf? If yes, why do you think so and how much of a sacrifice is sufficient to warrant a good night's sleep?

Should the average, working class American feel any obligation whatsoever arising from the ills that afflict third world countries? Sure it sucks that there are starving children in Africa and elsewhere, many with aids. Sucks for them anyway. But should anyone really feel obligated to make personal sacrifices on their behalf? If yes, why do you think so and how much of a sacrifice is sufficient to warrant a good night's sleep?

The Government takes our tax money and sends it wherever they please. If you pay taxes, you are already obligated.

Its not about losing sleep ,its about what kind of world we what to create.

• Banned

The Government takes our tax money and sends it wherever they please. If you pay taxes, you are already obligated.

So I can still rest easy if I don't make any supplimental sacrifices?

:woohoo:

Of course! That said, there are a lot of people in the US that need your help. Find a local charity and give generously. Better yet, not only give your money but your time, too. You'll be glad you did.

• Banned

Of course! That said, there are a lot of people in the US that need your help. Find a local charity and give generously. Better yet, not only give your money but your time, too. You'll be glad you did.

Why? My taxes go to help them too. No?

That's a good point. Since social spending continues to increase at an alarming rate, there will come a time when nobody will give. This is happening now in European countries where they are taxed to death. You also find people like Joe Biden here in the US who don't believe in giving to charity because the government will provide. I say go for it!

That's a good point. Since social spending continues to increase at an alarming rate, there will come a time when nobody will give. This is happening now in European countries where they are taxed to death. You also find people like Joe Biden here in the US who don't believe in giving to charity because the government will provide. I say go for it!

Another irony. Today is the birthday of the father of the Democratic Party. You are right about ever-increasing spending, and the whirrring sound you hear is Andrew Jackson spinning in his grave.

1767-Andrew Jackson born in South Carolina, near the North Carolina border.(-1845). He was the 7th president, but one of many firsts: first non- aristocrat, first president to marry a divorcee, first to use the “pocket veto,” first to us an informal “kitchen cabinet”, and the first to leave the United States with no national debt.

Syrenn's goat thread reminded me of this...

There are starving children in this country..... right along with people aids and the homeless.

My obligations are right here first. When we ourselves have no issues then we can worry about the rest of the world

There are starving children in this country..... right along with people aids and the homeless.

My obligations are right here first. When we ourselves have no issues then we can worry about the rest of the world

That just sounds like a convenient excuse to me since it's ludicrous to expect we'd ever have no issues with poverty domestically. I'm not criticizing you for not giving a shit about poverty in Africa mind you, as I share your ambivalence. But I am criticizing you for fabricating a bogus justification.

That just sounds like a convenient excuse to me since it's ludicrous to expect we'd ever have no issues with poverty domestically. I'm not criticizing you for not giving a shit about poverty in Africa mind you, as I share your ambivalence. But I am criticizing you for fabricating a bogus justification.

How much have you sent to Africa?

:eusa_eh:

Are you honestly telling me you can't suss that out based on my posts?

This may come as some disappointment to you, but I am not amongst your vast 'following.' I asked a question you have yet to answer.

Its not about losing sleep ,its about what kind of world we what to create.

The only thing she sends to Africa is absentee ballots. :D

Well, since my diagnosis, I have cut my charitable giving in order to plan for my own future. I have no doubt that my needs will be met, and right now it looks like I will be able to do that task on my own. My children are also there for me and that makes a BIG difference too. I raised them well. I planned well for retirement, but no one plans for an illness like I have. I am just glad it declared itself BEFORE I quit my job. Even now, I have been thankful. I have a coworker who has to have injections every week that cost $3000 an injection.

No, she can't.

When you say working-class Americans, are you assuming that by the relatively insular effect their work has on others, they're not directly or indirectly complicit in any suffering caused by corporate misadventure or negligence in the undeveloped nations they're operating in?

If you are, you could quite understandably be accused of ignoring the bigger picture. For instance, if a working-class American contractor that knows he's getting an above average deal on wood for a project/contract because the lumber yard sources its timber from a business who have a proven track record of using unethical methods of harvesting timber that conflict with trading standards, that the customer is turning a blind eye to the suffering incurred by cutting corners. Thus ideally obligating them to offer redress in the form of making private donations to an organisation that aids or acts on behalf those affected by the unethical extraction methods used to source their cheap timber. It's a bit like the whole illegal immigrant/employer of illegal immigrants tail chasing debate.

I know I'm being a bit difficult, but I think it's important to carefully consider the degree(s) of seperation as I work in a field that requires me to come into contact with and safely dispose of hazardous materials. I take the safe/legal route not because I'm concerned with the welfare the people in the third world who are sometimes outsourced to deal with said material, but because I'm terrified of incurring a crippling fine from the authorities that could potentially devasate my business.

Forum List

Back