a potus who has done time

Could you vote for someone for POTUS if he/ she had ever been to prison?

• Yes. As long as the someone weren't a Democrat.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. As long as the someone weren't a Republican.

• Yes. As long as the someone looked like me, demographically speaking.

• No. I am not fond of lawbreakers, because I have never myself broken a law.

• No. I'm not an American to begin with, and shouldn't even be voting HERE, on this thread.

• All of the above.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shart_attack

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
hangin' with my bro e.coli
Could you vote for someone to be president of the United States if he/ she had done time in prison?

It's an interesting question worth exploring IMHO, particularly because of the American fascination with locking up nonviolent felony offenders — also known as the American prison-industrial complex.

I have known several people who I think would make outstanding leaders of (what's anachronistically still called) the free world, yet because they have been at some point locked up, they will never again be allowed to vote — let alone run for president some day.

I would myself have no problem(s) whatsoever with voting someone into the Oval Office if he or she had been convicted of a felony, and pursuant to that felony, done time. For me, it really would depend on what the aspiring US president's alleged crime was.

Would you?

(The poll in this thread is multiple choice, by the way. :thup: )

Could you vote for someone to be president of the United States if he/ she had done time in prison?

It's an interesting question worth exploring IMHO, particularly because of the American fascination with locking up nonviolent felony offenders — also known as the American prison-industrial complex.

I have known several people who I think would make outstanding leaders of (what's anachronistically still called) the free world, yet because they have been at some point locked up, they will never again be allowed to vote — let alone run for president some day.

I would myself have no problem(s) whatsoever with voting someone into the Oval Office if he or she had been convicted of a felony, and pursuant to that felony, done time. For me, it really would depend on what the aspiring US president's alleged crime was.

Would you?

What, I coulda voted more than once?

The fable we grew up with that there is this "underclass" of "evil" amid a world of white hats and black hats is pretty much just that -- a fable. There's a thin line between a "criminal" and a "non-criminal" and which side one falls on depends more on luck and circumstance than anything in their heart.

And the idea that felons can't be allowed to vote, that's Bolshoi.

Would you?

Patience is a virtue, Pogo.

Most ex-cons know that much. :badgrin:

Pogo said:
The fable we grew up with that there is this "underclass" of "evil" amid a world of white hats and black hats is pretty much just that -- a fable.

There's a thin line between a "criminal" and a "non-criminal" and which side one falls on depends more on luck and circumstance than anything in their heart.

Which explains the popularity of tv dramas like Weeds, Breaking Bad and Orange Is the New Black.

Most Americans can unfortunately identify with those shows because most of us today know someone who has been to prison.

Today's antihero is yesterday's outright antagonist.

Pogo said:

I agree with that 100%. :thup:

Would you?

Patience is a virtue, Pogo.

Most ex-cons know that much. :badgrin:

A virtue I've never known. :crybaby:

Pogo said:
The fable we grew up with that there is this "underclass" of "evil" amid a world of white hats and black hats is pretty much just that -- a fable.

There's a thin line between a "criminal" and a "non-criminal" and which side one falls on depends more on luck and circumstance than anything in their heart.

Which explains the popularity of tv dramas like Weeds, Breaking Bad and Orange Is the New Black.

Most Americans can unfortunately identify with those shows because most of us today know someone who has been to prison.

But...... those are all .... TV shows. :puke:
I think. :dunno: Never seen any of 'em.

Pogo said:

I agree with that 100%. :thup:

:thup:

Pogo said:

something you don't ever want to have said:

Pogo said:
But...... those are all .... TV shows. :puke:
I think. :dunno: Never seen any of 'em.

But shouldn't a person as well-versed as yourself know that art imitates life, Pogo??? :badgrin:

You did NOT just put the word "art" into a post about TV. :rofl:
I need my oxygen tank.

You oughta be locked up.

Nope. Embezzlement is a nonviolent crime. Shoot, all white collar crime is nonviolent. Auto theft is a nonviolent crime. Property crimes are nonviolent.

Nope. Embezzlement is a nonviolent crime. Shoot, all white collar crime is nonviolent. Auto theft is a nonviolent crime. Property crimes are nonviolent.

But some believe shoplifting is a capital crime - IF you're black. We had a prez and veep were who were very violent criminals, responsible for the deaths and maiming of hundreds of thousands and they have been rewarded for their crimes.

1907421_10202342940070168_2890305767957935782_n_zps36313eb5.jpg

To treat this poll question seriously, someone would have committed a high crime (felony) or serious misdemeanor to go to prison. Since those are prescribed bases for impeachment, that person should not be President (unless pardoned by Clinton or Obama, of course).

Ah, you're thinking of Harken Energy?

I still think such a candidate should be turned away because he's an unqualified and dishonest loser riding Daddy's coattails, not specifically because he committed a crime. Although the nature of that crime can (and should) certainly inform a voter's reasoning.

By contrast though, drunk driving (as applies to both pictured above), that's where we get into irrelevancies based on emotions rather than reasoned analysis. It would be as silly as deselecting a candidate for, I dunno, having sex with an intern or sump'm.

I still think such a candidate should be turned away because he's an unqualified and dishonest loser riding Daddy's coattails, not specifically because he committed a crime. Although the nature of that crime can (and should) certainly inform a voter's reasoning.

By contrast though, drunk driving (as applies to both pictured above), that's where we get into irrelevancies based on emotions rather than reasoned analysis. It would be as silly as deselecting a candidate for, I dunno, having sex with an intern or sump'm.

In most states, drunk driving is a misdemeanor. Until, say, the fourth offense, at which point it becomes a felony — and yeah, likely prison time.

But people are not incarcerated for misdemeanors.

That wasn't were I was at. In fact, it didn't cross my mind at all.

Don't laugh........I initially went here:
Skinner v. Oklahoma ex rel. Williamson | The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law

For the past ten years there has been a push to empty prisons of nonviolent criminals. White collar criminals do not drum up as much fear. Society tends to slap them on the wrist and carry on.

In fact, you can find some instances that an individual doesn't even make it to prison but is placed on house arrest and has to pay restitution.

But some believe shoplifting is a capital crime - IF you're black. We had a prez and veep were who were very violent criminals, responsible for the deaths and maiming of hundreds of thousands and they have been rewarded for their crimes.

Some do think shoplifting is a capital crime if your black. A few believe that a spatula is a gun. Several more believe that being black qualifies as a crime.

How about being disbarred for unethical conduct?

You can't legally possess a firearm if you are a convicted felon. Put him in charge of the US nuclear agency? Surely you jest. If the media was doing it's job we wouldn't have to deal with Bill Clinton who was accused of a class A felony rape. The statute of limitations got him off the hook and Hillary is still an enabler.

Some do think shoplifting is a capital crime if your black. A few believe that a spatula is a gun. Several more believe that being black qualifies as a crime.

And some really paranoid blacks will even accuse those who post at exactly 3:11 of being a member of the "invisible empire" of a hate group. (Google that. Just sayin'.)

You can't legally possess a firearm if you are a convicted felon. Put him in charge of the US nuclear agency? Surely you jest. If the media was doing it's job we wouldn't have to deal with Bill Clinton who was accused of a class A felony rape. The statute of limitations got him off the hook and Hillary is still an enabler.

Actually if the media was truly doing it is [sic] job we wouldn't have to put up with unsubstantiated accusations flying out of the woodwork, "didn't inhale", Shrub's DWI, Jeremiah Wright; a "bomb bomb Iran" joke; a Halcyon prescription or turns of phrase like "binders of women" and we could instead hear about actual issues.

So thanks for keeping the bar set where it is.

Actually if the media was truly doing it is [sic] job we wouldn't have to put up with unsubstantiated accusations flying out of the woodwork, "didn't inhale", Shrub's DWI, Jeremiah Wright; a "bomb bomb Iran" joke; a Halcyon prescription or turns of phrase like "binders of women" and we could instead hear about actual issues.

Which, after your post, is where, Pogo??? :badgrin:

Which, after your post, is where, Pogo??? :badgrin:

I can't very well lift it by myself. :(
Long as the low-info unwashed like Whiteball here are easily impressed with gossippy trinkets, that's what's gonna sell. The rest of us are fucked.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back