A new way to use food stamps

You just contradicted yourself. You just said that you were lucky to know certain people. You just said that everyone needs to get lucky every now and again. So no, not everyone can do it, according to you. You have to get lucky somewhere along the way, based on your testimony.

Thank God we're not using tired cliches.

You need to read the post again because I presented both sides of the coin. In one instance, I relied on luck, and in the other instance I not only DIDN'T have good luck, but I had to constantly overcome BAD luck. I could have quit and cut my losses but I didn't and now I have my perseverance to thank for it.

As far as the homeless needing to eat, they eat. Again, if they weren't, then when I take a walk down the mean streets of Manhattan or Atlantic City, I'd be seeing dead bums all over the place. How come I'm not?

Probably because those homeless guys are all eating for free in the soup kitchens down town?

Who wants to eat at a soup kitchen when you can go sit at Ruby Tuesdays and have a 8oz steak and a couple beers to wash it down?

Just when I was about to apply for a job bussing tables at this local restaurant so I could earn a paycheck and enjoy a burger at Red Robin like everyone else, they passed a law where my food stamps now let me do that! I don't have to get a job anymore!

You need to read the post again because I presented both sides of the coin. In one instance, I relied on luck, and in the other instance I not only DIDN'T have good luck, but I had to constantly overcome BAD luck. I could have quit and cut my losses but I didn't and now I have my perseverance to thank for it.

As far as the homeless needing to eat, they eat. Again, if they weren't, then when I take a walk down the mean streets of Manhattan or Atlantic City, I'd be seeing dead bums all over the place. How come I'm not?

Probably because those homeless guys are all eating for free in the soup kitchens down town?

Who wants to eat at a soup kitchen when you can go sit at Ruby Tuesdays and have a 8oz steak and a couple beers to wash it down?

There's no way that they should be allowed to drink beer on their Food stamps.

Well now it just gets more complicated, because the check comes and it just has the total on it for the whole meal. You hand your SNAP card to the waitress and she rings up the purchase. If the restaurant has to line item everything in their system based on what qualifies and what doesnt, this is going to cost them more time and money to comply with the new food stamp program.

So what do we do...make the restaurants all deal with compliance on little specifics, or just let the SNAP beneficiaries swipe their card for the whole purchase, including the Grey Goose and tonics?

Still not going to lower my income to qualify. But if my income drops to just over 50k, Eating out on the government dime. Who couldnt love that.:lol:

The governments dime?

So is there really such thing as "Obama Money"?

Sorry Bro...you wont be dining on the governemnts dime.

You will be dining on the dime of fellow Americans...many in the middle class who are making ends meet during these very difficult times by NOT going out for dinner.

How many times I have been behind people on food stamps also paying for beer and cigs. They cant afford food but they got their essentials

smacks of class warfare. Were they driving cadillacs too?:eusa_whistle:

hey....no joke...

I see people buy food with their food satmps and then buy lottery tickets with cash..

Me? I dont buy lottery tickets. I spend my money as carefully as I can.

they should not be allowed to use them for food in a restaurant either for you are ALSO paying for the food to be prepared by a chef and served by a waiter.

During 2010 when I had a tough year business wise, we went out for dinner once a month...it is known as making your dollars stretch as far as it can.

Well now it just gets more complicated, because the check comes and it just has the total on it for the whole meal. You hand your SNAP card to the waitress and she rings up the purchase. If the restaurant has to line item everything in their system based on what qualifies and what doesnt, this is going to cost them more time and money to comply with the new food stamp program.

So what do we do...make the restaurants all deal with compliance on little specifics, or just let the SNAP beneficiaries swipe their card for the whole purchase, including the Grey Goose and tonics?

I'm guessing it will have to be like the grocery stores, the restaurants will have to make a system that has certain items tagged that can come off the EBT card, and the rest you have to pay yourself. You can't let these guys go into the Cheesecake Factory and spend $50 on Appletinis off of the taxpayers expense, thats just nuts.

I'm guessing it will have to be like the grocery stores, the restaurants will have to make a system that has certain items tagged that can come off the EBT card, and the rest you have to pay yourself. You can't let these guys go into the Cheesecake Factory and spend $50 on Appletinis off of the taxpayers expense, thats just nuts.

So what does that do?

It creates an environment where people are no longer treated equal.

It will never work.

How many times I have been behind people on food stamps also paying for beer and cigs. They cant afford food but they got their essentials

Or kids getting free school lunches and having a smartphone?
Or mega corps making billions in profits and getting tax breaks that working class citizens do not get?

Or kids getting free school lunches and having a smartphone?
Or mega corps making billions in profits and getting tax breaks that working class citizens do not get?

do yourself a favor..

read up on why those "mega corps" get tax breaks.

Just an FYI...they dont simply ask for them and get them.

hey....no joke...

I see people buy food with their food satmps and then buy lottery tickets with cash..

What!?! Lottery Tickets are a whole dollar! I am Closed Captions outrage

:doubt:

hey....no joke...

lol...

I wish they only spent a dollar...

Responsible people will spend only a dollar on lottery tickets

If one uses food stamps to buy milk and eggs...and then buys lottery tickets with cash?

They are not responsible.

do yourself a favor..

Damn straight. Bribing those politicians to set up favorable tax rules ain't cheap.

As noted above, many recipients of food stamps have no access to cooking or food storage facilities, which means that if they can't use them in restaurants they're of no use. For these folks, eating out (at least in a fast-food place) is a necessity, not a luxury.

So what does that do?

It creates an environment where people are no longer treated equal.

It will never work.

I am not saying the food stamps should cover take out or restaurant food, however I am saying IF it does come to that, alcoholic drinks should NOT be covered under that.

do yourself a favor..

Damn straight. Bribing those politicians to set up favorable tax rules ain't cheap.

As noted above, many recipients of food stamps have no access to cooking or food storage facilities, which means that if they can't use them in restaurants they're of no use. For these folks, eating out (at least in a fast-food place) is a necessity, not a luxury.

that is a stretch.

Please offer me a statistic of the percentage of people ON FOOD STAMPS that do not have a stove and a refrigerator.

A lot of you are in here arguing for every little god damned hardship that someone might face in this country to be subsidized, while you're wasting valuable time that could be spent handing out all your extra dollars to those people on the streets.

Get your hands out of my pockets and put them in yours where they belong.

hey....no joke...

lol...

I wish they only spent a dollar...

Responsible people will spend only a dollar on lottery tickets

If one uses food stamps to buy milk and eggs...and then buys lottery tickets with cash?

They are not responsible.

The grass is always greener...

Forum List

Back