A Murder That Altered The Constitution

Many complaints have been generated by the lack of vetting that Democrat/Liberals undergo....as compared to Republicans or conservatives do.
Vetting: make a careful and critical examination of one's qualifications and/or background.

Obama's, for example, was minimal...but....
When Sarah Palin arrived as a threat....

"Investigative Reporters Head to Alaska.... Alaska's getting pretty crowded...with investigative reporters and scandal-chasers."
Investigative Reporters Head to Alaska...And When Will Sarah Palin Meet the Press?

The following story, while of the same nature as above, the lack of scrutinizing, is far, far more significant. It also involves a Democrat, and lack of vetting.
..... the lack of careful investigation that changed America.

1. "When she was twelve years old, Ruth Stephenson was found sitting on the porch of the rectory of St. Paul’s Church in Birmingham, Alabama. She lived about a block away and was very attracted by the quiet faith of Catholics as they entered and left their church each day of the week. By chance, Ruth’s father happened by, saw her talking with the pastor, Fr. James Coyle, and peremptorily ordered her home."
The Murder of a Priest

2. Ruth's father was the Reverend Edwin Stephenson, "a minister of the now defunct Methodist Episcopal Church, South and a member of the Ku Klux Klan."
Sharon Davies, "Tragedy in Birmingham", Columbia Magazine, vol. 90, no. 3 (March 2010), p. 31.

"Last winter (when she was 18) he had whipped Ruth for staying out past nine thirty....On another occasion he had locked is daughter in her room for three days without food or water....Stephenson had joined in the lynching of an African American in 1902.....later he had shot a barber in his hometown of Birmingham."
Senator Mike Lee, "Our Lost Constitution," p. 89-90

3. During the summer of 1921, Stephenson went looking for his daughter, and went to the porch of the rectory of St. Paul’s Church in Birmingham, Alabama, and confronted the pastor, Fr. James Coyle.
"Where is my daughter?"
"With her husband."
"Well, my girl isn't married!!"
Coyle: "Your girl is a catholic, and she is married...I married her this evening."
"To whom???"
"...Pedro Gussman...a Catholic."
Gussman had once worked hanging wallpaper for Stephenson.

4. Stephenson had been famous for wishing "the whole Catholic institution was in hell!"
....now, his daughter married to a Catholic....and a Puerto Rican one at that!!!
"You have married her to that n***er! You...dirty, low down, yellow dog!"
Three shots rang out, and the unarmed Father James Coyle lay dead.
The Ku Klux Kla
n sprang into action arranging for a legal 'dream team' for Stephenson."
Ibid.

You'll never guess who the lead lawyer was....and how flimsy his vetting was.
But....he's pretty important in American history, and in the advancement of Democrat policy.
Murder is murder regardless if the murder was motivated by differences in race , faith , religion or politics.

There was no due process before issuing death as the penalty.

If you look, neither the daughter or father had due process in decisions being made. We need to resolve these conflicts instead of resorting to exclusion coercion bullying and political physical or deadly force.

The daughter was oppressed and deprived of her rights to consent dissent or exercise her beliefs. Marrying her in private also bypassed the natural process of seeking parental approval for the spouse to propose marriage . to resolve conflicts peacefully civilly and democratically takes equal mutual commitment to respect due process and not deprive or deny anyone's right to consent or dissent, but to include all beliefs and respect each other despite conflicts.

We still haven't learned to do this.
And people are still shooting each other down, physically or politically , because we can't deal with differences.

Have you noticed that I 'deal with difference' on a daily basis?

You have?

Excellent.

I hope you'll stay tuned for the rest of this thread.

Dear PoliticalChic
What I MEAN is that we haven't managed differences in POLITICAL BELIEFS.
All we have is voting over the opposition and/or voting each other out of office.

But the damage is done in the meantime.
Look at the ACA mandates, look at the marriage and bathroom policies.

Just opposing the opposition isn't enough
when both sides demand equal rights and protections of Their respective BELIEFS.

That's what I mean.

The sides get so entrenched in their beliefs
they VIOLATE the rights of others to their equal beliefs!!!!

Why can't we AGREE to treat political beliefs like religious beliefs.
And agree to let people FUND THEIR OWN.

Muslims and Hindus do not put their beliefs up to a vote,
and impose one set of beliefs on the nation while denying, excluding and penalizing the other
if they fail to comply WITH RULES THEY DIDN'T AGREE TO THAT VIOLATE THEIR BELIEFS.

Why do we continue to allow political parties to do what we ban religious groups from doing??

"Just opposing the opposition isn't enough
when both sides demand equal rights and protections of Their respective BELIEFS.

1. Both sides are not equally correct nor beneficial for members of society.
What is important is to outline the differences, and debate what we have learned from the past, and what principles should be applied.

2. Here is the general...
' This is the great contribution of our Judeo-Christian foundation to Western civilization. The principles of justice are laid down in the Torah and the Gospels, and implemented through human actions memorialized in judicial codes.
The written laws and rules are codifications of the unwritten ones worked out over millennia as the result of human interactions and experience.'

3. And here is the specific, based on America: this nation was created based on these conservative principles: individualism, free markets, and limited constitutional government.

Moving from them leads to tyranny, chaos, and slaughter.
History has proven this.

Many complaints have been generated by the lack of vetting that Democrat/Liberals undergo....as compared to Republicans or conservatives do.
Vetting: make a careful and critical examination of one's qualifications and/or background.

"Investigative Reporters Head to Alaska.... Alaska's getting pretty crowded...with investigative reporters and scandal-chasers."
Investigative Reporters Head to Alaska...And When Will Sarah Palin Meet the Press?

The following story, while of the same nature as above, the lack of scrutinizing, is far, far more significant. It also involves a Democrat, and lack of vetting.

1. "When she was twelve years old, Ruth Stephenson was found sitting on the porch of the rectory of St. Paul’s Church in Birmingham, Alabama. She lived about a block away and was very attracted by the quiet faith of Catholics as they entered and left their church each day of the week. By chance, Ruth’s father happened by, saw her talking with the pastor, Fr. James Coyle, and peremptorily ordered her home."
The Murder of a Priest

2. Ruth's father was the Reverend Edwin Stephenson, "a minister of the now defunct Methodist Episcopal Church, South and a member of the Ku Klux Klan."
Sharon Davies, "Tragedy in Birmingham", Columbia Magazine, vol. 90, no. 3 (March 2010), p. 31.

"Last winter (when she was 18) he had whipped Ruth for staying out past nine thirty....On another occasion he had locked is daughter in her room for three days without food or water....Stephenson had joined in the lynching of an African American in 1902.....later he had shot a barber in his hometown of Birmingham."

3. During the summer of 1921, Stephenson went looking for his daughter, and went to the porch of the rectory of St. Paul’s Church in Birmingham, Alabama, and confronted the pastor, Fr. James Coyle.
"Where is my daughter?"
"With her husband."
Coyle: "Your girl is a catholic, and she is married...I married her this evening."
"To whom???"

4. Stephenson had been famous for wishing "the whole Catholic institution was in hell!"
....now, his daughter married to a Catholic....and a Puerto Rican one at that!!!
The Ku Klux Kla
Ibid.

But....he's pretty important in American history, and in the advancement of Democrat policy.
Murder is murder regardless if the murder was motivated by differences in race , faith , religion or politics.

If you look, neither the daughter or father had due process in decisions being made. We need to resolve these conflicts instead of resorting to exclusion coercion bullying and political physical or deadly force.

The daughter was oppressed and deprived of her rights to consent dissent or exercise her beliefs. Marrying her in private also bypassed the natural process of seeking parental approval for the spouse to propose marriage . to resolve conflicts peacefully civilly and democratically takes equal mutual commitment to respect due process and not deprive or deny anyone's right to consent or dissent, but to include all beliefs and respect each other despite conflicts.

And people are still shooting each other down, physically or politically , because we can't deal with differences.

You have?

Excellent.

Dear PoliticalChic
All we have is voting over the opposition and/or voting each other out of office.

That's what I mean.

and impose one set of beliefs on the nation while denying, excluding and penalizing the other
if they fail to comply WITH RULES THEY DIDN'T AGREE TO THAT VIOLATE THEIR BELIEFS.

Why do we continue to allow political parties to do what we ban religious groups from doing??

1. "The sides get so entrenched in their beliefs
they VIOLATE the rights of others to their equal beliefs!!!!"
How so?
Liberals demand lock-step agreement, and have instituted mind control....'hate crime legislation.'
Conservatives don't believe in such, and believe that anyone can think anything they so desire.
Anything.

2. "Why can't we AGREE to treat political beliefs like religious beliefs.
And agree to let people FUND THEIR OWN."

I don't have a clue what that means.
Please elucidate.

But laws should be based on the crime, not who is guilty of it, or what the criminal believes.

Liberals have taught groups to see themselves as victims. If one sees himself as a victim, the chances of criminality is much greater....viewed as 'getting even.'

The Murder of a Priest

"Where is my daughter?"
"With her husband."
"To whom???"

The Ku Klux Kla
Ibid.

You have?

Excellent.

Dear PoliticalChic

That's what I mean.

What is important is to outline the differences, and debate what we have learned from the past, and what principles should be applied.

' This is the great contribution of our Judeo-Christian foundation to Western civilization. The principles of justice are laid down in the Torah and the Gospels, and implemented through human actions memorialized in judicial codes.
The written laws and rules are codifications of the unwritten ones worked out over millennia as the result of human interactions and experience.'

3. And here is the specific, based on America: this nation was created based on these conservative principles: individualism, free markets, and limited constitutional government.

History has proven this.

Agreed PoliticalChic
And it should be noted, as much as Christianity has contributed to saving lives and building communities and economy and services in society,
IT IS NOT MANDATED BY GOVT, BUT CHOSEN AND EXERCISED FREELY

Since you and I seem to agree more than disagree,
why don't the two of us team up on a national petition?

I'm a Constitutionalist Democrat in TX a predominantly Red State
where fellow progressives are fighting for representation
(so much that when Democrats get into office locally they go unchecked
and get away with abuses, which creates the equal and opposite problem of political monopoly)

You are one of the most outspoken conservatives against liberal agenda
I know of, who happens to be based in either CA (or NY? did you move or not?)
So you face a lot of the opposite problems, of yelling and screaming to be heard above the mob going the other direction.

If you and I can agree that govt should not be abused to
establish political beliefs, and we write and sign a statement together,
there you have it. A conservative Republican from CA and a prochoice Democrat from TX
agreeing in unison we should enforce Constitutional values first before political BELIEFS and agenda.

I understand people are naturally going to push and defend their beliefs.
What we need is to recognize this bias and CHECK against it instead of denying it it going on
and equally detrimental and destructive.

You and I don't have to agree on all issues to agree this needs to be handled Constitutionally.
Agreed? I am ready to write to your Senators and Governor and mine.
Let's do it PC. And show people what PC really OUGHT to mean!!!

I like your conviction PoliticalChic and I
respect your personal resolve to defend what you know to be right.
Let's write up and post a statement online, then I'll get with you to broadcast it on
public radio (CA has two stations KPFA and KPFK, and I'm in Houston with KPFT.
WBAI is in NY and may still be in process of reorganizing.)

The point I want to emphasize is we don't have to agree with all each other's political beliefs
in order to stand up against govt abuse threatening to either exclude or penalize people
by imposing such relative biases against the will, beliefs or consent of citizens and taxpayers affected.

You are better at keeping things short.
Let's spell this out, and send the message where it hits home!
It doesn't have to be politically perfect,
just sincere, and it's clear we both believe sincerely in what we're saying.
I think people will read that and we'd do well to send
the message "in stereo."

Last edited:

The Murder of a Priest

"Where is my daughter?"
"With her husband."
"To whom???"

The Ku Klux Kla
Ibid.

You have?

Excellent.

Dear PoliticalChic

That's what I mean.

History has proven this.

Agreed PoliticalChic
And it should be noted, as much as Christianity has contributed to saving lives and building communities and economy and services in society,

and get away with abuses, which creates the equal and opposite problem of political monopoly)

So you face a lot of the opposite problems, of yelling and screaming to be heard above the mob going the other direction.

there you have it. A conservative Republican from CA and a prochoice Democrat from TX
agreeing in unison we should enforce Constitutional values first before political BELIEFS and agenda.

What we need is to recognize this bias and CHECK against it instead of denying it it going on

You and I don't have to agree on all issues to agree this needs to be handled Constitutionally.

"as Christianity has contributed to saving lives and building communities and economy and services in society,
IT IS NOT MANDATED BY GOVT, BUT CHOSEN AND EXERCISED FREELY....

....govt should not be abused to establish political beliefs,..."

I don't see any connection.

What beliefs are established by government???

You have?

Excellent.

Dear PoliticalChic

That's what I mean.

History has proven this.

Agreed PoliticalChic

"as Christianity has contributed to saving lives and building communities and economy and services in society,
IT IS NOT MANDATED BY GOVT, BUT CHOSEN AND EXERCISED FREELY....

....govt should not be abused to establish political beliefs,..."

I don't see any connection.

What beliefs are established by government???

Liberals who keep pushing for health care and welfare through govt as a requirement
are missing how Christianity conducts and organizes charity without mandates by law.

They are using govt as their church, but trying to make it mandatory for everyone.

The closest equivalents are where prolife push for the definition of right to life
to extend to unborn souls still in the womb. that is faith based and requires agreement on laws.
Curious if not confounding to me why prochoice demand right to choose when it comes
to right to life beliefs, but want to exclude and penalize choice when it comes to right to health care.

If one is mandated why not the other?
Why defend free choice in one case but ban and punish it in the other?

It is clear to me this is DISCRIMINATING on the basis of creed.
Banning right to life advocates from establishing that belief by law,
but promoting right to health care through federal mandates
that penalize people for not complying when it violates their beliefs!

8. There is a lesson that is the goal of this thread.
Let's review.....the racist Democrat Party, under the racist President Franklin Roosevlet, picked KKKer Hugo Black as his first Supreme Court nominee!

"... Black was head of new members for the largest Klan cell in the South. New members of the KKK had to pledge their allegiance to the “eternal separation of Church and State.”... Separation was a crucial part of the KKK’s jurisprudential agenda. It was included in the Klansman’s Creed... "

Soooo.....while “52 of the 56 signers of the declaration and 50 to 52 of the 55 signers of the Constitution were orthodox Trinitarian Christians.” David Limbaugh

....along came Franklin Roosevelt, anti-Constitutionalist, who used his power and popularity to insert KKK motto of “eternal separation of Church and State.” into the United States Constitution.

Although the most often quoted portions of our memorializing documents included the Bible...
" Hugo Black went on to reintroduce America to the long-dormant phrase “separation of church and state,” twisting it’s meaning.
Black also wrote the majority opinion that deemed internment camps in the United States constitutional in 1944."
How FDR avoided Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black's Ku Klux Klan scandal - Liberty Unyielding

Hugo Black...KKKer.....racist.....famous for getting a Klan killer out of an arrest for murder....and went on to alter American tradition, and the Constitution.

Why isn't this widely known?
Ask yourself who controls the schools.

The Murder of a Priest

"Where is my daughter?"
"With her husband."
"To whom???"

The Ku Klux Kla
Ibid.

special pleading much? how did that actually change the Constitution?

The Murder of a Priest

"Where is my daughter?"
"With her husband."
"To whom???"

The Ku Klux Kla
Ibid.

special pleading much? how did that actually change the Constitution?

It altered the first amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Murder of a Priest

"Where is my daughter?"
"With her husband."
"To whom???"

The Ku Klux Kla
Ibid.

There is no Democrat party, there is a Democratic party...

That is called 'a distinction without a difference.'

Soooo......that's all ya' got today?

I'll add more that you won't like, in a few.
Just be sure to use the correct words...

I use words with precision....carefully choosing what I wish to say, and how I say it.

As for your advice....I'll be certain to give it all the consideration it deserves.
Then you must be crossed eyed cause you missed the mark on how to pronounce(typed) democratic party..

The Murder of a Priest

"Where is my daughter?"
"With her husband."
"To whom???"

The Ku Klux Kla
Ibid.

I use words with precision....carefully choosing what I wish to say, and how I say it.

As for your advice....I'll be certain to give it all the consideration it deserves.
Then you must be crossed eyed cause you missed the mark on how to pronounce(typed) democratic party..

While you'd love to be able to deny anything I've posted about your beloved collectivist-racist party.....you can't.

I spanked you earlier when you tried to insert the term 'fallacy'....and, of course, there are none.
Everything I post is true,accurate and correct.

Soooo the best you can do is carp about the name of the party.....the Democrat Party.

And....as you sense.....I do so out of disrespect for these contemporary Bolsheviks.

Now...c'mon.....let's hear you say it: D-E-M-O-C-R-A-T

The Murder of a Priest

"Where is my daughter?"
"With her husband."
"To whom???"

The Ku Klux Kla
Ibid.

I have no emotive investment in what humans did 90 years ago..As far as KKK membership during that era it had republican and democrats were members..

While you'd love to be able to deny anything I've posted about your beloved collectivist-racist party.....you can't.

I spanked you earlier when you tried to insert the term 'fallacy'....and, of course, there are none.

Soooo the best you can do is carp about the name of the party.....the Democrat Party.

And....as you sense.....I do so out of disrespect for these contemporary Bolsheviks.

I don't have a party, that is you fallacy of guessing and trying to demonize a person without facts to further your rhetoric..

Living in the past, eh?

Yeah, those were great old days - at least according to grandfather!

Only if his grandad wore a pillowcase with two eye holes over his head.
Which Granddad?

Remind me.....why did the Democrats form the KKK????
Which time, since the KKK was not a continuous organization through history...Trumpet's dad was a KKK member and was arrested at a one parade for disorderly conduct...Don't you want to slur him?

The Murder of a Priest

"Where is my daughter?"
"With her husband."
"To whom???"

The Ku Klux Kla
Ibid.

I have no emotive investment in what humans did 90 years ago..As far as KKK membership during that era it had republican and democrats were members..

Unless you feel you'd be mute....you really should stick to the truth:

1. Liberal historian Eric Foner writes that the Klan was “…a military force serving the interests of the Democratic Party…” Foner, “Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877,” p. 425
  2. "The night riders move through the darkness, whit against the black road....they go about their business, their horsed draped, guns and bullwhips banging dully against saddles.
    ....this is the South Carolina of the 1870s, not of the turn of a new millennium, and the night riders are the terror of these times. they roam upcountry, visiting their version of justice on poor blacks and the Republicans that support them, refusing to bow to the requirements of the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments."
    From the novel "The White Road," by John Connolly

The Democratic Party is one of the two major contemporary political parties in the United States, along with the Republican Party.

Forum List

Back