A Moral Question on UHC

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by midcan5, Mar 12, 2010.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    This is a simple thought experiment. The basic assumptions are fact.

If universal healthcare is passed, your taxes will go up 5%. If UHC is not passed 35 million Americans will die each year because they will not have access to healthcare.

What is your vote and why? Please yes or no, why, and no BS.

2. hboats

hboats Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    35 million Americans will die each year? So, you're saying that EVERY person who doesn't have health insurance (and that 35 million number is suspect) will die each year and be replaced by another 35 million?

Please prove that "fact"

Rick

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Money has nothing at all to do with morals.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Sacrifices must be made for the good of Mother Earth. There are already too many people on this planet. The more people, the more damage that will be done to Earth. Pretty soon, the damage will be irreparable. We need to bring back survival of the fittest. Obviously these 35 million Americans are not good enough or smart enough to get access to healthcare, so for the good of Mother Earth we must let them die.

5. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    I'll get to the heart of what you're asking in a second but the assumptions you call fact simply are not fact. 35 million people a year dieing? Think about that for second. Or are you just asking us to assume it as fact for sake of the argument? Then you have another faulty presumption; that if we simply solve the cost problem for those peope they will have access. Inexpensive or free health care does not equal ACCESS to health care.

But I get the crux of your question. Unfortunately calling not raising taxes to fund that, immoral rests on another assumption. That the 35 million people you assume will die (which again is completely nonsensical) are blameless in their own deaths. The more general assumption of that would be that you aren't responsible for your health. Of course I understand that people can get sick through no fault of their own, but even if I get cancer (which I did) through no fault of my own, as an adult I'm not sure how that makes the cost of it someone elses problem.

There is no straight answer to that question as it rests on too many variables and assumptions. I am inclined to so no it is not immoral however because for it be immoral would depend on some rather unrealistic assumptions.

6. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
  7. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,858

Are you really saying that over 10% of the American Population will die each year without UHC?

Sorry to disappoint, but I am not going to answer a question that is based on hysterical nonsense..

8. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295

:rolleyes:

9. hboats

hboats Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Ok, I understand your "thought experiment" now. Here's my answer:

I would vote No. My reasoning? If there are 35 million Americans who aren't taking advantage of the free health care that is already available to them, they will probably still die under UHC. There is no reason for someone who is sick right now not to go to either a County Hospital (which are supported by tax payers and if you can't pay they still give you health care) or a free clinic somewhere in their area. If they aren't taking advantage of these and other options currently then who is to say that they will go to the doctor even after they have UHC? Let's face it, there are a lot of Americans who are just flat out afraid of doctors and hospitals, and wouldn't go even if it didn't cost them a dime.

I'd also need to know, of those 35 million Americans who will die each year, how many have access to heath care now and CHOOSE not to use it?

Rick

10. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295

Yes, tax money is not necessarily the solution to all societies problems.