A long thread that says a lot to a few and not much to others..

Oct 4, 2014
So any of you who might have read my previous post and found it informative or repulsive or whatever the response was, I want to say I'm glad to be here amongst other tortured souls. I said listening is key, and that's because listening has been my only alternative to blatant egotism as I see it in regards to such matters. I'm glad to have heard so many people chime in and give their perspectives. The response about listening and reading and the different way these forms of communication react in the brain was especially helpful in this context.

Now, if you would like, let me tell you a bit about me, if you have the time to listen, and understand why I'm like I am. It's not going to come off sounding earth-shattering. It's not going to move you out of your seat or make you want to drink some water. Hell, it likely won't even register on your heart scale if you really don't give two shakes about anyone else but yourself.

I was blessed, or cursed, depending on how you look at it to be a white male who at the age of four was babysat by a black family whose matriarch had a good reason to be prejudiced against white males. Imagine you were a black female coming of age in Alabama and tell me if you think that situation might not have been hard on you. Really imagine... day to day... not just right now while you are thinking about it... it did... not ... stop... for her. Everyday. Everywhere except when she was not around white people...

So, okay. She needed to let me know the truth. I was only 4, but I suddenly knew much, much more about racial awareness and the true history of the United States and Alabama at age 4 then most white people will ever be told in their lives. Everything from Bozo the Clown and him abusing Cookie, to why the Grambling vs. Southern game was vitally important to her (when she never liked football any other time) because no white people were there at the game... but to me it was important because I loved that family, and especially the matriarch, and so I took it to heart. I didn't know what pride was. I had no reason to take it personally or feel anything against myself. I only knew I was sad that she was in pain about something. I never told anyone in my family, because I didn't know I should or needed too. I knew she was hurting and I wanted to help however I could because I loved her. And so I listened. And so I have listened to everyone intently from that point on. I decided empathic listening is one of the best ways to show love because it transcends judgment. It loves. It says I care enough to let you be you, whatever you need to be, and say whatever you want to say- whatever you need to say to feel better. We all do that. And, I guess, so should all of you...

And so maybe that is what everyone is doing here. I'm just not sure who is listening and who is doing the yelling. This a board about racism, so how could I not expect people to talk mostly racist and, thankfully, occasionally anti-racist? Naive... delusional.. unreasonably hopeful. This was what I exhibited in my first post, and it is, for better or for worse, the truth about myself. Am I broken or am I part of the salve to heal the biggest wound of American history? No delusions of grandeur here, mind you... just that lingering hope that things can really change... and for some reason it won't just politely go away...

One of the differences maybe is that I realize it is a problem. I want to get rid of it, and that is not up to just me. To accomplish that might take generations or centuries of people working towards it. MLK got killed for it. Gandhi got killed for it. Even Malcolm X came around to preaching peace and got killed for it. John Lennon imagined a lot of things, although he probably never imagined he'd get killed for it... but he did. Peace is not profitable, even for prophets... It seems like a dead end until humanity collectively wants to change it, and that starts with those who have the power to change it, which means the people with the power, and they just don't agree with peace... Peace isn't profitable... It seems though that I can't get rid of it until it either goes away, which will not happen until a great many things change, or I decide it's just not that important... which means withdrawing my realization of the truth of history and reality... I just don't know if I can do that and actually be a fully congruent person. And thus it remains... a problem.

Whomever's toes I stepped upon, in the nature of this board I guess I'm supposed to give a scathing retort instead of an apology, as that is the language of the land, but that just doesn't feel right, because I can't stop being an advocate for change and peace. I appreciate all the input on here, from all the impatient readers whose time is wasted and yet take the same amount of time to retort negatively, to all the patient readers who gain knowledge from their visits here amongst the many loud voices and encourage progress and peace.

This is a lot of words, but this is my post and this is my oration in group therapy. Be it accepted, rejected, distorted or embraced, I hope all of us on here, whatever our words, actually feel better at the end of the day.

So any of you who might have read my previous post and found it informative or repulsive or whatever the response was, I want to say I'm glad to be here amongst other tortured souls. I said listening is key, and that's because listening has been my only alternative to blatant egotism as I see it in regards to such matters. I'm glad to have heard so many people chime in and give their perspectives. The response about listening and reading and the different way these forms of communication react in the brain was especially helpful in this context.

Now, if you would like, let me tell you a bit about me, if you have the time to listen, and understand why I'm like I am. It's not going to come off sounding earth-shattering. It's not going to move you out of your seat or make you want to drink some water. Hell, it likely won't even register on your heart scale if you really don't give two shakes about anyone else but yourself.

I was blessed, or cursed, depending on how you look at it to be a white male who at the age of four was babysat by a black family whose matriarch had a good reason to be prejudiced against white males. Imagine you were a black female coming of age in Alabama and tell me if you think that situation might not have been hard on you. Really imagine... day to day... not just right now while you are thinking about it... it did... not ... stop... for her. Everyday. Everywhere except when she was not around white people...

So, okay. She needed to let me know the truth. I was only 4, but I suddenly knew much, much more about racial awareness and the true history of the United States and Alabama at age 4 then most white people will ever be told in their lives. Everything from Bozo the Clown and him abusing Cookie, to why the Grambling vs. Southern game was vitally important to her (when she never liked football any other time) because no white people were there at the game... but to me it was important because I loved that family, and especially the matriarch, and so I took it to heart. I didn't know what pride was. I had no reason to take it personally or feel anything against myself. I only knew I was sad that she was in pain about something. I never told anyone in my family, because I didn't know I should or needed too. I knew she was hurting and I wanted to help however I could because I loved her. And so I listened. And so I have listened to everyone intently from that point on. I decided empathic listening is one of the best ways to show love because it transcends judgment. It loves. It says I care enough to let you be you, whatever you need to be, and say whatever you want to say- whatever you need to say to feel better. We all do that. And, I guess, so should all of you...

And so maybe that is what everyone is doing here. I'm just not sure who is listening and who is doing the yelling. This a board about racism, so how could I not expect people to talk mostly racist and, thankfully, occasionally anti-racist? Naive... delusional.. unreasonably hopeful. This was what I exhibited in my first post, and it is, for better or for worse, the truth about myself. Am I broken or am I part of the salve to heal the biggest wound of American history? No delusions of grandeur here, mind you... just that lingering hope that things can really change... and for some reason it won't just politely go away...

One of the differences maybe is that I realize it is a problem. I want to get rid of it, and that is not up to just me. To accomplish that might take generations or centuries of people working towards it. MLK got killed for it. Gandhi got killed for it. Even Malcolm X came around to preaching peace and got killed for it. John Lennon imagined a lot of things, although he probably never imagined he'd get killed for it... but he did. Peace is not profitable, even for prophets... It seems like a dead end until humanity collectively wants to change it, and that starts with those who have the power to change it, which means the people with the power, and they just don't agree with peace... Peace isn't profitable... It seems though that I can't get rid of it until it either goes away, which will not happen until a great many things change, or I decide it's just not that important... which means withdrawing my realization of the truth of history and reality... I just don't know if I can do that and actually be a fully congruent person. And thus it remains... a problem.

Whomever's toes I stepped upon, in the nature of this board I guess I'm supposed to give a scathing retort instead of an apology, as that is the language of the land, but that just doesn't feel right, because I can't stop being an advocate for change and peace. I appreciate all the input on here, from all the impatient readers whose time is wasted and yet take the same amount of time to retort negatively, to all the patient readers who gain knowledge from their visits here amongst the many loud voices and encourage progress and peace.

This is a lot of words, but this is my post and this is my oration in group therapy. Be it accepted, rejected, distorted or embraced, I hope all of us on here, whatever our words, actually feel better at the end of the day.

In point of fact, Gandhi was assassinated for his perceived affection for Muslims by a nationalist douchebag.

You have rare insight and for that you are lucky. Unfortunately others of your race with even half of your insight are very rare. There are those individuals that dont have any insight and are willing to learn. That is the only reason I continue to give whites a chance.

The main problem I see is that whites cant take being shown the truth or how hypocritical they are so they deny the damage done to the Black family by historical events as well as present day events.

I call bullshit!!!

At age four you can't even remember your birthday much less all the garbage you claim to remember about the history of the US and Alabama.

I call bullshit!!!

At age four you can't even remember your birthday much less all the garbage you claim to remember about the history of the US and Alabama.

Dont project your mental shortcomings onto other people. Convicts like you typically have a hard time remembering their names because they are used to calling themselves by a number. No doubt you cant remember when you were 4 because those synapses have all been destroyed due to drugs and alcohol.

I call bullshit!!!

Wasn't the pedo Bozo from England and only convicted in 2002?

Was the movie, "The Jerk" based on your life? ..... :cool: ......

Haha. I've joked on myself about the same thing before. Great movie. The biggest difference is that I actually lived most of my life with my white family. I just learned a lot during the time I spent next door with their family... "God loves a working man; Don't trust Whitey; See a doctor and get rid of it..."

Last edited:
I call bullshit!!!

Under normal circumstances, I do believe that would tend to be the case; however, I'm not bragging when I say this, but rather explaining: I have a 160 IQ and was able to do multiple-digit multiplication and read on a 3rd grade level at age 4 as well. My mom is a teacher and got my brain going on an advanced level very early on, which also strengthened my capacity of memory at an early age. That, and for a short period in my earliest years I used to stick 9-volt batteries to my tongue all the time which may have stimulated my capacity for learning and memory as well, even though the act itself might have been a dumb thing to do. My life might have been easier had I forgotten many of the instances that I somehow remembered.

I call bullshit!!!

Under normal circumstances, I do believe that would tend to be the case; however, I'm not bragging when I say this, but rather explaining: I have a 160 IQ and was able to do multiple-digit multiplication and read on a 3rd grade level at age 4 as well. My mom is a teacher and got my brain going on an advanced level very early on, which also strengthened my capacity of memory at an early age. That, and for a short period in my earliest years I used to stick 9-volt batteries to my tongue all the time which may have stimulated my capacity for learning and memory as well, even though the act itself might have been a dumb thing to do. My life might have been easier had I forgotten many of the instances that I somehow remembered.
Does your Mom still got yer brain???

Does your Mom still got yer brain???

Haha... "Got my brain going"... like "getting your car going"... is that phrasing a southern colloquialism? It sounds like a normal saying to me.

Forum List

Back