A leader with courage and principles

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has defended Danish cartoonist Kurt Westergaard, whose cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad caused anger in 2006. A depiction of Muhammad's turban as a fused bomb sparked global outrage when it was published in Denmark.
Presenting him with a press freedom award, Mrs Merkel said Mr Westergaard was entitled to draw his caricatures.
"Europe is a place where a cartoonist is allowed to draw something like this," she said.

"We are talking here about the freedom of opinion and the freedom of the press," Ms Merkel said at the ceremony in the German city of Potsdam.
BBC News - Merkel honours Danish Muhammad cartoonist Westergaard

If only we had an American president in the last 20 years who understood this.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has defended Danish cartoonist Kurt Westergaard, whose cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad caused anger in 2006. A depiction of Muhammad's turban as a fused bomb sparked global outrage when it was published in Denmark.
Presenting him with a press freedom award, Mrs Merkel said Mr Westergaard was entitled to draw his caricatures.
"Europe is a place where a cartoonist is allowed to draw something like this," she said.

"We are talking here about the freedom of opinion and the freedom of the press," Ms Merkel said at the ceremony in the German city of Potsdam.

Don't worry. We will have a President who will understand things like this when Sarah Palin takes the Oath in 2012. She is a patriotic fine American who is a Natural Born Citizen that meets Article 2 Section 1 Clause 5 of the Constitution unlike Obama who does not meet the qualifications of it.

I do wish Obama made a better statement than he did. The great orator? :doubt:

President Obama says that Florida Pastor Terry Jones’s proposal to burn copies of the Koran on September 11th is “completely contrary to our values of Americans,” a “destructive act” that could engager US troops.

Noting that the county has been built on religious freedom and religious tolerance, President Obama told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos that the plan amounts to a stunt.

“As commander of chief of the Armed Forces of the United States I just want him to understand that this stunt that he is talking about pulling could greatly endanger our young men and women in uniform who are in Iraq, who are in Afghanistan.”

The president said that it could be a “recruitment bonanza for Al Qaeda,” and hopes that Jones, who says he is motivated by faith, “listens to those better angels,” as he prays about whether to proceed on Saturday with his plan.

“Now, on the other hand, we are a government of laws,” Obama added, “And so, we have to abide by those laws. And my understanding is that he can be cited for public burning. But that's the extent of the laws that we have available to us. You know, part of this country's history is people doing destructive or offensive or harmful things. And yet, we still have to make sure that we're following the laws.”

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalp...ld-be-a-recruitment-bonanza-for-al-qaeda.html

Last edited:

So long as political correctness rules the day in this country it will never happen.

There is nothing in the constitution that guarantees the right not to be offended.

Last edited:

President Obama says that Florida Pastor Terry Jones’s proposal to burn copies of the Koran on September 11th is “completely contrary to our values of Americans,” a “destructive act” that could engager US troops.

Noting that the county has been built on religious freedom and religious tolerance, President Obama told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos that the plan amounts to a stunt.

“As commander of chief of the Armed Forces of the United States I just want him to understand that this stunt that he is talking about pulling could greatly endanger our young men and women in uniform who are in Iraq, who are in Afghanistan.”

The president said that it could be a “recruitment bonanza for Al Qaeda,” and hopes that Jones, who says he is motivated by faith, “listens to those better angels,” as he prays about whether to proceed on Saturday with his plan.

“Now, on the other hand, we are a government of laws,” Obama added, “And so, we have to abide by those laws. And my understanding is that he can be cited for public burning. But that's the extent of the laws that we have available to us. You know, part of this country's history is people doing destructive or offensive or harmful things. And yet, we still have to make sure that we're following the laws.”
Obama Says Pastor?s Plan to Burn Koran is a ?Stunt? that Could be a ?Recruitment Bonanza for Al Qaeda? - Political Punch
Jeesh! He sounds like he's channeling Bush about the cartoons. :lol:

LOL now that's funny!!

In Germany if you publiclly deny the Holocaust happened or publish words of doubt about the official Holocaust story.

You will be convicted as a criminal and sent to prison as several people already have been.

So much for Free Speech in Germany :lol:

Obama Says Pastor?s Plan to Burn Koran is a ?Stunt? that Could be a ?Recruitment Bonanza for Al Qaeda? - Political Punch
Jeesh! He sounds like he's channeling Bush about the cartoons. :lol:

I was wondering if anyone would remember that.

LOL now that's funny!!

In Germany if you publiclly deny the Holocaust happened or publish words of doubt about the official Holocaust story.

You will be convicted as a criminal and sent to prison as several people already have been.

I don't agree with that myself, but I do think they have a reason to remember that part of their history. I think that makes it justified, for them.

LOL now that's funny!!

I don't agree with that myself, but I do think they have a reason to remember that part of their history. I think that makes it justified, for them.

The German people are forced by law to accept the "Official" story concerning the so called Holocaust.

I wonder how Americans would react if we were forced under threat of prison to accept 100% the Warren Report about the Kennedy assassination ?

Don't worry. We will have a President who will understand things like this when Sarah Palin takes the Oath in 2012. She is a patriotic fine American who is a Natural Born Citizen that meets Article 2 Section 1 Clause 5 of the Constitution unlike Obama who does not meet the qualifications of it.

I can promise you that no matter what happens. Sarah Palin will not take the Oath in 2012.

If you question something that happened to Jews seventy years ago, you're put in jail. If you're a filthy ape who slanders Rasul Allah (SAWS), you're presented with a "press freedom award." How remarkably Western!

I liked Hillary's statement much better than Obama's:

The threat by an individual in Florida to burn the Holy Qu’ran on September 11 is, as Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has stated, disrespectful, divisive, and disgraceful.

As Secretary Clinton also said, “Acts of disrespect, hate, and intolerance do not represent the American way of life we support and defend, and do not reflect the shared values and mutual respect that unite Americans and people of the Middle East. Such provocative acts are an insult to the American tradition of religious tolerance, serve only to fuel and incite violent extremism, and may place the lives of military and civilian personnel serving in the region at greater risk.”

U.S. Embassy and U.S. Forces ? Iraq Condemn Plans To Burn Copies Of the Qu?ran (September 8, 2010)

The chancellor of Germany, commie turned neocon Angela Merkel, praises a neocon cartoonist for his bravery in caricaturing Mohammed, as she confers a free-speech award on the man. As she notes, no one should be subjected to threats or violence for their drawings, writings, etc. But isn’t this a bit rich, coming from the head of a country that regularly fines and imprisons—i.e., threatens and uses violence against—people for speech crimes, including officially disapproved cartoons?

Not the Better Angela of Our Nature LewRockwell.com Blog

LOL now that's funny!!

So it makes sense to deny freedom of speech because of crimes committed in the past by a country?

I can promise you that no matter what happens. Sarah Palin will not take the Oath in 2012.
I know you're just eluding to the mistake about the timing of the oath. (the election is in 2012 and the president is sworn in on January 20, 2013)

But can you promise me that under NO circumstances will Caribou Barbie ever get near a Presidential Inauguration platform? Please promise me that! Please!

If the American people decide to "go stupid" during every other election, we will be a greasy spot on the roadside of history.

Can't promise that. I don't know the future.

And I think we could do alot worse.

LOL now that's funny!!

The German people are forced by law to accept the "Official" story concerning the so called Holocaust.

I wonder how Americans would react if we were forced under threat of prison to accept 100% the Warren Report about the Kennedy assassination ?

What is the official story about the holocaust? I must have missed that one, all I ever got was the story from my father about how he felt when he walked through Chelmo, and the story of a friend who got thrown into another camp because he is a Jehovah's Witness. Please tell me what the official story the Germans are stuck with is.

If you question something that happened to Jews seventy years ago, you're put in jail. If you're a filthy ape who slanders Rasul Allah (SAWS), you're presented with a "press freedom award." How remarkably Western!

What do you mean? I am quite sure you can ask any questions you want, even in Iran. Just be careful not to ask them in the hearing of any of the rats that work for the Iranian government. Are you another idiot that wants to rewrite history? Please let me know if you are, so I can stop treating you with the respect I do.

LOL now that's funny!!

So it makes sense to deny freedom of speech because of crimes committed in the past by a country?

Not to me, but I am not a German. If you have a problem with their laws, take it up with them.

Forum List

Back