A good reason why history is important

I thought the thread title said "A good reason Hillary is important"
If that was the thread title,I wouldn't have had much of an OP :)
it's not now considering the OP doesn't know jack shit about history.

Roman Empire: gold standard of immigration

Transported back to the Roman Empire, you would see something remarkably uniform from the Atlantic to the Euphrates, from Britain to North Africa. This was so even though the empire encompassed a wide variety of peoples, not all of whom had known their butter knives from their fish knives before coming under Roman rule.

The temples and baths of Londinium resembled those of Cordoba in Spain and Alexandria in Egypt. Roads and coins were uniform. Soldiers all wore something akin to dog tags (as did their horses). Even the statuary from place to place looked the same: At one time there were 20,000 statues of Caesar Augustus on view. All of this was just the physical embodiment of an underlying dynamic — a set of values and a way of life — that rapidly turned outsiders into insiders.

Rome's ability to assimilate newcomers is so well-established that it's easy to lose sight of. And it has been overshadowed, in the history books as well as in movies, by episodes of invasion and mayhem in the final centuries, when the empire's domestic health was already gravely compromised.

But the expansion of the empire to include tens of millions of non-Romans — and then the absorption through immigration of many millions more — was a bigger phenomenon still. Military service integrated some, but Romanization occurred without the help of other tools that Americans take for granted, such as public schools, mass communications, Madison Avenue or even a single language. (The strivers and elites spoke Latin and Greek, but the empire was polyglot.)

It took place because Roman civilization turned out to be a good deal. The historian Tacitus rather cynically recognized its power, observing that what Rome's subjects called "culture" was in fact what kept them in line.

Roman Empire: gold standard of immigration

I thought the thread title said "A good reason Hillary is important"
If that was the thread title,I wouldn't have had much of an OP :)
What in hell is that Avitar?
Societies being overwhelmed by invaders is good for the gene pool.
That's a special kind of ignorance that could only come from a liberal.

If it's is so "good" for the gene pool, why doesn't your very stupid ass go invade China and start procreating? Oh wait...that's right....because you're a disingenuous hypocrite that can't walk the walk. You also realize that you will end up in prison if you attempt to invade another country.

Forum List

Back