A friendly PC reminder

Mani, if it makes you feel any better, aside from your case of bruised ego or whatever it was that prompted you to post your OP, I will concede there is a grain of truth in it. Purely by accident however and not due to any effort on your part.

circle.jpg

Nice logo! Where did you find it?

Nice logo! Where did you find it?

Anguille made it for me. She does wonderful work.

You should make sure that you POS REP her everytime you use it, as that would be the only appropriate thing to do to properly compensate the creator.

Actually, I retained creative ownership. I contracted with her to build it to my specifications. So in reality, anyone using it should compensate me with pos rep.

Anguille made it for me. She does wonderful work.

You should make sure that you POS REP her everytime you use it, as that would be the only appropriate thing to do to properly compensate the creator.

Actually, I retained creative ownership. I contracted with her to build it to my specifications. So in reality, anyone using it should compensate me with pos rep.

When contracting her to build it to your specifications...did you compensate her justly for her most glorious work?

Because in order for you to retain creative ownership, you would have to purchase the work at the time of creation.

Right, because making scathing comments about intolerant bigots is exactly like making ethnic slurs.

Until you've proven there is some widespread hailing as witty, etc. comments about about rednecks your entire OP is nothing but a strawman. And a pretty lame one at that.

Making up your own definition of the term redneck doesn't make it a true definition:

Definitions of redneck on the Web:
  • Redneck refers to a person who is stereotypically Caucasian (i.e. white) and is of lower socio-economic status in the United States and Canada. Originally limited to the Southern United States, and then to Appalachia, the term has become widely used throughout North America.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck
  • An uneducated, unsophisticated, or poor white person, typically used to describe residents of the rural Southern US. A redneck can be a man or a woman; The nickname given to miners who wore red bandanas for identification during the West Virginia mine war of 1921
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/redneck

• The nickname given to miners who wore red bandanas for identification during the West Virginia mine war of 1921

Interesting. I thought it referred to them having sun burnt necks from working outside. Like farmers.

Right, because making scathing comments about intolerant bigots is exactly like making ethnic slurs.

Until you've proven there is some widespread hailing as witty, etc. comments about about rednecks your entire OP is nothing but a strawman. And a pretty lame one at that.

Making up your own definition of the term redneck doesn't make it a true definition:

Definitions of redneck on the Web:

• Redneck refers to a person who is stereotypically Caucasian (i.e. white) and is of lower socio-economic status in the United States and Canada. Originally limited to the Southern United States, and then to Appalachia, the term has become widely used throughout North America.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

• An uneducated, unsophisticated, or poor white person, typically used to describe residents of the rural Southern US. A redneck can be a man or a woman; The nickname given to miners who wore red bandanas for identification during the West Virginia mine war of 1921
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/redneck
I wonder why you left this one out?

Vincent Stewart, codenamed Redneck and later Skybolt is a fictional mutant character in the Marvel Comics Universe. His first appearance was in New X-Men #126 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck_(comics)

I wonder why you left this one out?

Vincent Stewart, codenamed Redneck and later Skybolt is a fictional mutant character in the Marvel Comics Universe. His first appearance was in New X-Men #126 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck_(comics)

Deflection.

Not really. I accept that it has different meanings to different people. If I think of someone as a redneck I think of them as an intolerant bigot. But unlike mani, when I refer to someone as black I am not implying they are ignorant fucktards.

And I didn't make the definition up.

redneck definition | Dictionary.com

red⋅neck

  /ˈrɛdˌnɛk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [red-nek] Show IPA Informal: Often Disparaging.Use redneck in a Sentence

–noun 1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South. 2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.
–adjective 3. Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude.

The definitions you gave above would be considered trailer trash, btw. And true story, at another message board I posted on I was called trailer trash almost constantly by another poster. And mani never once made a fuss about it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

Scathing rebuttal by Ravi where she cleverly reveals the underhanded tactics of Missourian, who had the audacity to exclude a reference to "redneck" that is completely irrelevant to the discussion. A cartoon character! :lol:

Not really. I accept that it has different meanings to different people. If I think of someone as a redneck I think of them as an intolerant bigot. But unlike mani, when I refer to someone as black I am not implying they are ignorant fucktards.

red⋅neck

  /ˈrɛdˌnɛk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [red-nek] Show IPA Informal: Often Disparaging.Use redneck in a Sentence

–noun 1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South. 2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.
–adjective 3. Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude.

The definitions you gave above would be considered trailer trash, btw. And true story, at another message board I posted on I was called trailer trash almost constantly by another poster. And mani never once made a fuss about it. :)

Whatever you say Ravi:

How is not calling back people wil black names not racist? What culture are they stereotyping by not calling back Ayisha? Its not just the assumption that John is white and Ayisha is black, its ALSO the fact that coupled with that assumption is that they didn't call back the one they perceived to be black as much as they called back the one they perceived to be white.

I'm not saying it isn't racist, I'm just wondering if there is another factor at work here. Some names conjure up gangsters or dumb rednecks...so I don't know if it is an image thing or not. For instance, I'd call back a guy named Jesse before I called back a guy named Ayisha, all other things being equal, depending on the job. Or the other way around, also depending on the job.

Ditto with Billy Bob and William.

And thats racism (or bigotry when it comes to Billy Bob). Ideas like that make it MUCH harder for blacks to get jobs. The name is Aiysha, that means that individuals parents were probably black and so is she. Thats not gangster at all. That people think it is, is a reflection of the racism that is inherent in society that people think doesn't exist because its not government sanctioned.

So even if I think that the names Jesse and Aiysha (I was thinking it was a guy's name, btw) are both black names, if I only call back Jesse I'm being racist?

Damn you site search...damn you...

Last edited:

red⋅neck

Whatever you say Ravi:

How is not calling back people wil black names not racist? What culture are they stereotyping by not calling back Ayisha? Its not just the assumption that John is white and Ayisha is black, its ALSO the fact that coupled with that assumption is that they didn't call back the one they perceived to be black as much as they called back the one they perceived to be white.

I'm not saying it isn't racist, I'm just wondering if there is another factor at work here. Some names conjure up gangsters or dumb rednecks...so I don't know if it is an image thing or not. For instance, I'd call back a guy named Jesse before I called back a guy named Ayisha, all other things being equal, depending on the job. Or the other way around, also depending on the job.

No idea what your point here is.

red⋅neck

Whatever you say Ravi:

No idea what your point here is.

Sorry, there was more to it, didn't take the 1st time for some reason.

I read your edit but I'm still mystified. Are you saying that my comment dumb ignorant bigot (redneck) was redundant? :confused:

Forum List

Back