A Four Day School Week: Your Opinion

stuck on stupid ^^^^^

most preductiible. :thup:
Stuck on shifting the blame to everyone and anyone, except those to whom it belongs.

Forget the fact that most school funding and scheduling policy is set at the state and local level...Just blame it all on BOOOOOOOOSH!

Hack.

so hypocrites like you whining about spending after eight years of you driving the bus off the cliff is ok?

it;s also kind of funny given that your last thread was a while about clinton.

nutbar.

I can say one thing with absolute confidence. Dude is NOT a hack, he was not ever a Bush fan, he is honest on his assesments. Him and I went around and around, about Bush's policies ect..

Stuck on shifting the blame to everyone and anyone, except those to whom it belongs.

Forget the fact that most school funding and scheduling policy is set at the state and local level...Just blame it all on BOOOOOOOOSH!

Hack.

so hypocrites like you whining about spending after eight years of you driving the bus off the cliff is ok?

nutbar.

I can say one thing with absolute confidence. Dude is NOT a hack, he was not ever a Bush fan, he is honest on his assesments. Him and I went around and around, about Bush's policies ect..

I'll back you on that. Dude calls it how Dude sees it. Honestly, and without hackery.

Unlike someone else in this discussion (jillian :cuckoo: )

Hack.

nutbar.
You don't know jack squat about what I was saying during Chimpola's regime, little girl. But a lot of other people around here do, and I'm here to tell you it was far from complimentary.

Or, best keep you mouth shut and look the fool than open it and remove all doubt.

I've never, ever, EVER seen you wax poetic about Bush.

Ever.

Many school systems across the country are facing strict budget cuts, and one option on the table is going to four-day school weeks to save money. Since we have a president who won't stop the spending, it looks like our school teachers will take the next hit, in income. Sad times.

so 9% of the funding is from feds but it will shut down 20% of the schooling....

StrollingB's correct: Blaming Feds for closing schools is ridiculous

According to Standard and Poor's, the national total revenues per student were $10.523 in 2006, broken down as follows:

Local government: 44%
State government: 47%
Federal government: 9%

Look to mismanaged state and local governments to blame school budget shortages. Many even have slush funds, but rather than tap them, they will take the opportunity to frieghten voters (parents) with the threat of 4 day school weeks, and raise taxes. Parents have no choice but to agree to the rise in local/state tax because otherwise what will Little Johnny Firebug do on Friday's whilst they're working?

so 9% of the funding is from feds but it will shut down 20% of the schooling....

It's not the Feds to blame.

Funding is local....funding is down due to economic circumstances beyond the control of many school districts. For instance foreclosures, lost jobs, loss of population, etc.

When people lose jobs, many lose their homes, some leave for homes/jobs in other areas. Which means they're not paying school taxes. Don't pay the school taxes, the school districts have no money to spend on education.

Also, some funding is based upon school attendance. If the school population goes down, the funding goes down.

HOW could this be George Bush's fault? :eusa_eh:

Many school systems across the country are facing strict budget cuts, and one option on the table is going to four-day school weeks to save money. Since we have a president who won't stop the spending, it looks like our school teachers will take the next hit, in income. Sad times.

StrollingB's correct: Blaming Feds for closing schools is ridiculous

According to Standard and Poor's, the national total revenues per student were $10.523 in 2006, broken down as follows:

Local government: 44%
State government: 47%
Federal government: 9%

Look to mismanaged state and local governments to blame school budget shortages. Many even have slush funds, but rather than tap them, they will take the opportunity to frieghten voters (parents) with the threat of 4 day school weeks, and raise taxes. Parents have no choice but to agree to the rise in local/state tax because otherwise what will Little Johnny Firebug do on Friday's whilst they're working?

Meh...a school district in GA is particularly brazen.

Cobb County School District (2nd largest in GA) has recently won a court case to spend $16 million dollars. On WHAT, you ask?

Why.....AstroTurf for EVERY high school football field in the County. Yes. That's right.

The School Superintendant says it's a MUST.

Meanwhile that district is facing a $120-$130 million dollar budgetary shortfall and has already cut jobs and job requisitions, and will be notifying current employees on May 15 if they have a job for next school year.

I'm sure the school employees that are let go will be really happy to visit the football fields on Friday nights next year. They won't have a job, but they'll be treated to some awesome, stain-free, football games. :D

Funding is local....funding is down due to economic circumstances beyond the control of many school districts. For instance foreclosures, lost jobs, loss of population, etc.

When people lose jobs, many lose their homes, some leave for homes/jobs in other areas. Which means they're not paying school taxes. Don't pay the school taxes, the school districts have no money to spend on education.

Also, some funding is based upon school attendance. If the school population goes down, the funding goes down.

True. The bottom line is the sad state of the economy, due to out of control spending. People have left my town in droves, looking for jobs. Ours is a seasonal tourism related economy.

True. The bottom line is the sad state of the economy, due to out of control spending. People have left my town in droves, looking for jobs. Ours is a seasonal tourism related economy.

Meh...Federal spending is, and has been, out of control before without economic doom, and schools closing on Fridays.

Meh...Federal spending is, and has been, out of control before without economic doom, and schools closing on Fridays.

That's true too.

Yea, we need a Republican president who will stop spending on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment benefits and welfare.

Of course, I'm not exactly sure what those fucking teabaggers will live on. Oh well, you know what they say, "Be careful what you ask for".

Yea, we need a Republican president who will stop spending on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment benefits and welfare.

Of course, I'm not exactly sure what those fucking teabaggers will live on. Oh well, you know what they say, "Be careful what you ask for".

My goodness "fucking teabaggers" have really managed to get under your delicate skin, haven't they?

Do you suppose, now brase yourself........

They might WORK for a living?

arent schools funded by local property taxes at the state level?

My thought exactly. What does Obama's spending have to do with school budget shortfalls?

Are local and state govts robbing from the school system to cover other shortfalls?

If any Federal policy is responsible for shorting the schools, it's unfunded and underfunded mandates - a bipartisan scourge. And yes, this is a big reason the States are scrambling to meet Federally required programs and expenditures using their own funds, which means cutting elsewhere including education. But for that you can blame every Administration and Congress regardless of party going back to at least Reagan.

arent schools funded by local property taxes at the state level?

My thought exactly. What does Obama's spending have to do with school budget shortfalls?

Are local and state govts robbing from the school system to cover other shortfalls?

No, before they'd do this they'll raise taxes.

Schools are the major expenditure for most local governments (see your property tax bill).

States can use them as hostages to raise taxes.

In KY they are trying to raid library taxes as well which are a seperate line item tax on our property bills.

In my county the are still crazy about consolidation and new school building. They are going to close th 2 schools left out of the city limits and buss the kids to a new school in toen.
The 2 schools they are closing have much higher test scores than the city schools.
One way to make the city schools look less bad?

In KY they are trying to raid library taxes as well which are a seperate line item tax on our property bills.

Yes, everything must go except the slush fund, and the position of Assistant Secretary to the Director of The Ministry of Silly Walks

[youtube]IqhlQfXUk7w[/youtube]

Forum List

Back