A different look at the labor shortage....

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

This is a bit of a different take on what is causing the labor shortages.

To attribute slow hiring mainly to the pandemic presumes the labor shortage is temporary. But travel trends examined by Barron’s suggest the acute lack of workers owes to more than Covid infection rates, a revelation that raises questions about why workers are staying home and whether they will come back to the traditional labor market.

Mobility trends in states including Arkansas, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Maine show traffic is rising across all categories—except places of work. If it’s the fear of Covid preventing a broader return to work, why is public transportation traffic up in states where workplace traffic is down? It stands to reason that a person avoiding work to avoid infection would probably avoid mass transit. Traffic is down across all categories in many states, but often with much more pronounced declines in workplace traffic compared with transit, retail, and other places.

First is the fact that the pandemic prompted a record number of new businesses. The peak was in July 2020, when close to 600,000 new business applications were filed, up 100% from the year prior. Monthly applications have since fallen but remain about 50% higher than before the virus took hold.

Veronica Clark, economist at Citi, says that despite the labor market hole of about five million, household income is back to prepandemic levels. That suggests some two-income households have become one-income households because they can afford to, she says. It’s possible the 47% gain in the S&P 500 since its March 2020 low, coupled with a 25% rise in home prices since the pandemic started, has many households feeling flush. What if many of the two million parents—mainly mothers—who dropped out of the labor force last year don’t return? It’s time to ask that question given that the new school year has failed to bring back workers.

To attribute slow hiring mainly to the pandemic presumes the labor shortage is temporary. But travel trends examined by Barron’s suggest the acute lack of workers owes to more than Covid infection rates, a revelation that raises questions about why workers are staying home and whether they will come back to the traditional labor market.

Mobility trends in states including Arkansas, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Maine show traffic is rising across all categories—except places of work. If it’s the fear of Covid preventing a broader return to work, why is public transportation traffic up in states where workplace traffic is down? It stands to reason that a person avoiding work to avoid infection would probably avoid mass transit. Traffic is down across all categories in many states, but often with much more pronounced declines in workplace traffic compared with transit, retail, and other places.

First is the fact that the pandemic prompted a record number of new businesses. The peak was in July 2020, when close to 600,000 new business applications were filed, up 100% from the year prior. Monthly applications have since fallen but remain about 50% higher than before the virus took hold.

Veronica Clark, economist at Citi, says that despite the labor market hole of about five million, household income is back to prepandemic levels. That suggests some two-income households have become one-income households because they can afford to, she says. It’s possible the 47% gain in the S&P 500 since its March 2020 low, coupled with a 25% rise in home prices since the pandemic started, has many households feeling flush. What if many of the two million parents—mainly mothers—who dropped out of the labor force last year don’t return? It’s time to ask that question given that the new school year has failed to bring back workers.
Your point of new business filings is important. Many people had the opportunity to start their own gigs from home and told their former employer to eat shit and die

People are going to find their way around anything and survive

you forgot about:
the stimulus free $$$$
the free $300 per child
rent eviction ban
.....my niece got $7000 last stimulus ...and $600 every month paid by YOU and me

a lot of this lazy un-industrious people do the bare minimum to get by

you forgot about:
the stimulus free $$$$
the free $300 per child
rent eviction ban
.....my niece got $7000 last stimulus ...and $600 every month paid by YOU and me

that is in the article if you had bothered to read it.

Yeah, we're once again in completely uncharted waters here. We may end up looking back and seeing that the pandemic permanently changed the way Americans look at jobs, at working, and at money. We may indeed be moving towards a "new normal".

That said, the pandemic may have just quickened the pace. We already had the technology to deal with it, from working from home for an employer to the ease of starting a new business. Without that technology, we probably wouldn't be seeing this.

This is pretty fuckin' fascinating. We're just learning as we go right now.

Yeah, we're once again in completely uncharted waters here. We may end up looking back and seeing that the pandemic permanently changed the way Americans look at jobs, at working, and at money. We may indeed be moving towards a "new normal".

That said, the pandemic may have just quickened the pace. We already had the technology to deal with it, from working from home for an employer to the ease of starting a new business. Without that technology, we probably wouldn't be seeing this.

This is pretty fuckin' fascinating. We're just learning as we go right now.

I have said that the lasting effect of COVID would be how we work, but I was thinking more along the lines of more people working from home and companies paying less for renting/owning office space for people. But it does seem I have been too focused on that part and not other parts.

My BDS is very strong. I predicted from day one that the Democrats would fail, I said and did everything I could to help them fail, and now I'm enjoying their failure, thank you very much.

:04:

I know, I know, you are living on your little prepper compound waiting for the world to end so you can use up all that ammo you have saved.

Meanwhile the rest of us are going on living our lives and you think you are the one winning...:auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301:

I have said that the lasting effect of COVID would be how we work, but I was thinking more along the lines of more people working from home and companies paying less for renting/owning office space for people. But it does seem I have been too focused on that part and not other parts.
Yeah, this has been a real learning experience.

I have seen several articles on how the huge Silicon Valley companies are employing more and more work-from-home people everywhere, allowing them to stay where they live and not have to worry about the Bay Area's sky-high real estate prices. And that's had a strong negative effect on local commercial real estate.

:popcorn:

Yeah, this has been a real learning experience.

I have seen several articles on how the huge Silicon Valley companies are employing more and more work-from-home people everywhere, allowing them to stay where they live and not have to worry about the Bay Area's sky-high real estate prices. And that's had a strong negative effect on local commercial real estate.

:popcorn:

It is happening all over, ATT in St Louis (and I assume elsewhere) has moved 50% of their workforce to permanent remote status.

Some agencies in the Fed Govt are doing so, allowing them to have people work in DC jobs without paying them the locality pay for DC.

There are many factor's besides the above that has led to the shortage. It doesn't help that many of the 743,000 that have died of Covid were in the work place. This past month the largest group of deaths from Covid were between 35-54 age group. COVID-19 was the No. 1 killer of Americans age 35 to 54 last month, and No. 2 overall

Then there is immigration. Although our population grew 7.4% between 2010 - 2020 it's the slowest growth rate since 1930.

There are many factor's besides the above that has led to the shortage. It doesn't help that many of the 743,000 that have died of Covid were in the work place. This past month the largest group of deaths from Covid were between 35-54 age group. COVID-19 was the No. 1 killer of Americans age 35 to 54 last month, and No. 2 overall

Then there is immigration. Although our population grew 7.4% between 2010 - 2020 it's the slowest growth rate since 1930.

Like I said...

1. "We're living in unprecedented times."

2. "Covid"

3. "Covid"

4. "No idea, but isn't this a spiffy suit I'm wearing?"

Forum List

Back