A cs Lewis Primer

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Gotta luv this one

In Mere Christianity, Lewis writes: “I am not asking anyone to accept Christianity if his best reasoning tells him that the weight of the evidence is against it.

C.S. Lewis rejected any value in taking “leaps of faith,” stating that any sane person who adopts Christianity despite thinking that the evidence and reason is against it is simply “stupid.” Of course, Lewis’ primary audience was supposed to be skeptics and atheists, not current believers.

C.S. Lewis, Christian Apologist
and curious men and women know it was Tolkien who really influenced Lewis into looking a myths as very real
The problem for Lewis, however, was that, while myth harbored meaning and beauty (“Joy,” he would later call it), it was not true. History, on the other hand, while true, harbored no meaning or beauty.

But Tolkien protested. The myths were not lies

Tolkien, Lewis, and Christian Mythology —The Imaginative Conservative (yes, Dante even uses conservative Christian sources)

So much for Lewis' supposed reason and logic :lol:

Lewis argues...that the human imagination is able to devise myth because God has implanted within the human psyche a realization of His existence and involvement in creation.

C.S. Lewis, Joseph Campbell, and Myth | RealClearReligion

we'll add more in a little while

• Banned
While appealing to agnostics, atheists, and others such as non believers cs Lewis pulls a fast one on them. He flatters them. He blows smoke up their intellectually smug arses. He pulls them in with by the ego. He suggests it is stupid people who come to religion through leaps of faith. Intelligently rational people like him come to religion through reason and logic. Voila! You get people like the smugster JakeStarkey getting to have their wafer and eat it too.

C.S. Lewis was into the occult. He was not a Christian although for his own reasons he pretended to be one. You need take your C.S. Lewis books and toss them in a fire. That is where they belong, Dante'.

Really?

"Lewis came to see evil and suffering as both an argument against atheism and an argument for God and Christianity. Suffering was a dilemma for atheism; only within Christianity did Lewis find a satisfactory explanation:
"My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. Just how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? … Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist—in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless—I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality—namely my idea of justice—was full of sense. Consequently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning. (Mere Christianity, 45-46)"

" As a young atheist, Lewis believed only the unsophisticated could mistake the Christian myth for history.
"Lewis was shocked to hear the strong atheist T. D. Weldon concede that the evidence for the Gospels was really quite good:
" Early in 1926 the hardest boiled of all the atheists I ever knew sat in my room . . . and remarked that the evidence for the historicity of the Gospels was surprisingly good. "

"Lewis recognized that God seeks us out personally and makes demands upon us. We have a personal God who calls us individually to make a personal response to the Gospel.
"Friendship is invaluable in communicating the Gospel. Lewis found his friendships with Christians before coming to Christ deeply satisfying as they shared interests on many levels."

C. S. Lewis’s Journey to Faith: Spiritual Life in God

C.S. Lewis was into the occult. He was not a Christian although for his own reasons he pretended to be one. You need take your C.S. Lewis books and toss them in a fire. That is where they belong, Dante'.

I bet your bookcase consists solely of The Bible and How to Handle Venomous Snakes.

• Banned
Really?

"Lewis came to see evil and suffering as both an argument against atheism and an argument for God and Christianity. Suffering was a dilemma for atheism; only within Christianity did Lewis find a satisfactory explanation:

"My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. Just how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? … Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist—in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless—I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality—namely my idea of justice—was full of sense. Consequently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning. (Mere Christianity, 45-46)"​

" As a young atheist, Lewis believed only the unsophisticated could mistake the Christian myth for history. "Lewis was shocked to hear the strong atheist T. D. Weldon concede that the evidence for the Gospels was really quite good: " Early in 1926 the hardest boiled of all the atheists I ever knew sat in my room . . . and remarked that the evidence for the historicity of the Gospels was surprisingly good. "

"Lewis recognized that God seeks us out personally and makes demands upon us. We have a personal God who calls us individually to make a personal response to the Gospel.
"Friendship is invaluable in communicating the Gospel. Lewis found his friendships with Christians before coming to Christ deeply satisfying as they shared interests on many levels."

C. S. Lewis’s Journey to Faith: Spiritual Life in God
Opinions of Robert (Bob) Stewart, Institute for Christian Apologetics, can be interesting reading. How informative they can be is .. ahhh .. troubling. Interesting that he leaves out it was Tolkien who had much influence on pushing Lewis into embracing the supernatual world of religious faith

Did I mention Dr. Bob is affiliated with those weird born again Baptists?

I bet your bookcase consists solely of The Bible and How to Handle Venomous Snakes.
methinks the last part of that comment went SWISH over her head

wormwood7.gif

you're certifiably insane

cs Lewis was a christian

Believe what you want to believe, Dante'. C.S. Lewis was not a Christian. He was a deceiver. Maybe you should try doing some serious research before you dive into these threads of yours. It would save you some embarrassment.

Trouble in Narnia: The Occult Side of C.S. Lewis | Berean Publishers

In the book, the Dufflepods are ruled by a wizard. He uses magic to rule the Dufflepods because they aren’t yet mature enough to be ruled directly by Aslan. So there is good magic, and a good wizard. And magic prepares people for relationship with Aslan. Again, if Aslan is taken as a symbol for Jesus, then magic prepares people to become Christians. In our modern culture, that would mean that Wicca is a way to get to know Jesus and become His follower.

Back when C.S. Lewis wrote those books, Wicca did not exist. Kids who read the books couldn’t experiment with spells. But this is a different world today. Now kids are surrounded by movies and TV shows that promote witchcraft, and they may know kids at their school who dabble in it.

What will happen when Disney comes out with a movie of “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”? Christian kids may wind up feeling free to practice magic. And this could take down the barrier between Christianity and Wicca. It could “Christianize” witchcraft in the eyes of some Christian kids.

There are some other problems with C.S. Lewis. He taught many good things, but mixed in with those good things there are other teachings that lay a foundation for apostasy.

For starters in understanding the man, here is a quotation from a letter that he wrote describing a trip that he and his wife Joy took to Greece in 1960. He wrote,

“I had some ado to prevent Joy and myself from relapsing into Paganism in Attica! At Daphni it was hard not to pray to Appolo the Healer. But somehow one didn’t feel it would have been very wrong”.

Lewis also said that “Christianity fulfilled paganism” and “paganism prefigured Christianity.” (Roger Lancelyn Green, “C.S. Lewis: A Biography,” Orlando, FL: Harcourt Inc., 1974, pages 274 and 30.)

In his autobiography (“Surprised by Joy”), Lewis tells how at age 13 he abandoned his Anglican faith due to the influence of a school mistress who was involved with “Theosophy, Rosicrucianism, Spiritualism; the whole Anglo-American Occultist tradition.” And Lewis developed a “lust” for the occult that remained with him even after he returned to Anglicanism.

Last edited:
you're certifiably insane

cs Lewis was a christian

Believe what you want to believe, Dante'. C.S. Lewis was not a Christian. He was a deceiver. Maybe you should try doing some serious research before you dive into these threads of yours. It would save you some embarrassment.

Trouble in Narnia: The Occult Side of C.S. Lewis | Berean Publishers
What are those crazy people talking about?

Forum List

Back