Hello everyone , I have a few questions regarding steps I would need to take to one day become a US representative and Eventually Senator. I am curious what Degree is common and things I need to do. I am currently in High School and would love if any one could help. Thanks a lot.
Geoff
I am a current candidate right now.
Make contact with the local GOP. Show up and volunteer. Learn as much about economics, law, political science and history as you can. Scope out the players in the landscape. They come and go but many remain part of the political establishment for years. Try to find a mentor. Preferably somone who will be predictably powerful as you get older. Become sociable. Learn to play golf. Look at how other candidates etc dress and copy them. Listen to how they speak and copy that. If you pick a good mentor you will become more and more like him until eventually you find your own style.
Good luck. We need more good politiicans.

Do not under any circumstances, post anything stupid on social media. Or even on this forum. Someone will find it if you run.

And if he's on the Republican ticket, his poll numbers will go up.
My_Tongue_Is_Out_s.jpg

Hello everyone , I have a few questions regarding steps I would need to take to one day become a US representative and Eventually Senator. I am curious what Degree is common and things I need to do. I am currently in High School and would love if any one could help. Thanks a lot.
Geoff

Typically, a law degree or one in political science are common.

I would suggest contacting your local party, whichever one you wish to affiliate with, and start volunteering. Becoming a regular around the place allows you to network with like-minded others, and will lead to you eventually being given more and more responsibility in campaigns. And they're invaluable learning tools for hands-on politics.

You will also want to join appropriate political action groups in college, or even right now in high school, if they're available. For example, if you're conservative, then the Young College Republicans would be your group.

What really counts is getting involved.

Poly Sci, history, sociology. And start taking part in elections now. Volunteer to man the phones for one party or the other. Do take some 200 science courses so you do not come across as totally retarded as some of our present politicians do. Of either party.
man the phones ? what do you mean by that, and how would I get involved?

Find a local campaign that you support, and volunteer for them. You can just walk into the campaign headquarters, they'll be happy to have you.

It is true. They can use volunteers just in general, let alone for specific campaigns.

Unfortunately what's "common" is a law degree. We have waaaaaay too many lawyers in government. That might make a good background for persuasive argument but it doesn't necessarily bring ethics with it.

Better for a politician to know History I think.

And economics. Studies in economics are extremely helpful.

You may also want to consider joining a debate society, or doing something that involves learning effective public speaking. It's one thing to have good ideas and sound policies; it's another thing to be able to communicate them to people.

I'd suggest spending some time here.....just reading. Give it a few weeks. If you are not compelled to change your forum name by then.....go get your head examined.

Geoff

Get your degree in whatever interests you . There are no requirements for politics .

Forget poli sci, you'd be better off with a degree in drama .

Sell used cars part time................they will show you the art of being a politician.

:eusa_whistle:

A question for you.

Why are u a republican?
haha gr
A question for you.

Why are u a republican?

Because Republicans are slime balls; they are just less of slime balls than the Democrats.

It's odd that a teen would be a heartless evil republican . That comes later . He must be just doing what his parents command . They probably beat him.
ooh, love the jab, but no. I've fully developed my own opinion surpassing my own parents political knowledge. I could write a list of all the reasons I chose republican, but instead you'll just have to take my word that ive completely educated myself.

Geoff
I am a current candidate right now.
Make contact with the local GOP. Show up and volunteer. Learn as much about economics, law, political science and history as you can. Scope out the players in the landscape. They come and go but many remain part of the political establishment for years. Try to find a mentor. Preferably somone who will be predictably powerful as you get older. Become sociable. Learn to play golf. Look at how other candidates etc dress and copy them. Listen to how they speak and copy that. If you pick a good mentor you will become more and more like him until eventually you find your own style.
Good luck. We need more good politiicans.

You are a candidate? You suggest a mentor to mimic?

Who is yours?

A question for you.

Why are u a republican?

Because Republicans are slime balls; they are just less of slime balls than the Democrats.

It's odd that a teen would be a heartless evil republican . That comes later . He must be just doing what his parents command . They probably beat him.

Or he just wasn't as slow as you were. Excuse me, are. You still haven't outgrown that childish crap, have you?

A question for you.

Why are u a republican?
haha gr
A question for you.

Why are u a republican?

ooh, love the jab, but no. I've fully developed my own opinion surpassing my own parents political knowledge. I could write a list of all the reasons I chose republican, but instead you'll just have to take my word that ive completely educated myself.

Oh....please write the list. We need help understanding.

Forum List

Back