A Conservative's view on waterboarding

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
"WHEN US Representative Steve King learned that Osama bin Laden had been killed by US troops in Pakistan, he couldn’t resist a little crowing about the efficacy of torture. “Wonder what President Obama thinks of water boarding now?’’ the Iowa Republican tweeted on May 2.

It was an outrageous remark, but King wasn’t going out on a limb. A parade of others, mostly Republicans, have joined him in claiming that the death of bin Laden had vindicated the use of waterboarding — the most notorious of the “enhanced interrogation techniques’’ the Bush administration employed to extract information from senior Al Qaeda detainees....

...I don’t know whether waterboarding was indispensable to rolling up bin Laden; for every interrogation expert who says it was, another expert argues the opposite. But the case against waterboarding never rested primarily on its usefulness. It rested on its wrongfulness. It is wrong when bad guys do it to good guys. It is just as wrong when good guys do it to Al Qaeda....

The killing of bin Laden was gratifying, but it was no vindication of torture. Republicans rightly argue that much credit is owed to George W. Bush, who launched an effective war on terror and pursued it with fierce resolve. But Bush was wrong to permit waterboarding, and wrong to deny that it was torture. I don’t agree with Obama on much, but when it comes to waterboarding, he is right. America will defeat the global jihad, but not by embracing its most inhuman values."

Ends don’t justify the means - The Boston Globe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Jacoby_(columnist)

:clap2:

My mother used to say that a little bit of water won't kill you. She was right. She was referring to the bath that I needed to take but it sure seemed like torture to me at the time. For some strange reason though, I always was prone to being truthful after a bath. I'd answer almost any question she would have after I had washed behind my ears BUT I never would tell her about playing doctor with the neighbor girl, Susie.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
We should have pulled out of Afganistan 6 months after we went in and never have went into Iraq.

Abu Grabass was not a college prank.
Gitmo prisoners should have gotten due proccess under our laws.
And I am not thrilled that we essentially assisaniated OBL.
That is not how the USA is supposed to operate.

I've always wondered why people who think waterboarding is great don't want it done in prisons or in trials.

If waterboarding has a magical way of getting even scumbag terrorists to become genuine, honest people instantly, why not do it to scumbag rapists, murderers etc?

We should have pulled out of Afganistan 6 months after we went in and never have went into Iraq.

What are you going to do, if he doesn't surrender? With the SEALS you only get one chance. It's war, people die.

"WHEN US Representative Steve King learned that Osama bin Laden had been killed by US troops in Pakistan, he couldn’t resist a little crowing about the efficacy of torture. “Wonder what President Obama thinks of water boarding now?’’ the Iowa Republican tweeted on May 2.

It was an outrageous remark, but King wasn’t going out on a limb. A parade of others, mostly Republicans, have joined him in claiming that the death of bin Laden had vindicated the use of waterboarding — the most notorious of the “enhanced interrogation techniques’’ the Bush administration employed to extract information from senior Al Qaeda detainees....

...I don’t know whether waterboarding was indispensable to rolling up bin Laden; for every interrogation expert who says it was, another expert argues the opposite. But the case against waterboarding never rested primarily on its usefulness. It rested on its wrongfulness. It is wrong when bad guys do it to good guys. It is just as wrong when good guys do it to Al Qaeda....

The killing of bin Laden was gratifying, but it was no vindication of torture. Republicans rightly argue that much credit is owed to George W. Bush, who launched an effective war on terror and pursued it with fierce resolve. But Bush was wrong to permit waterboarding, and wrong to deny that it was torture. I don’t agree with Obama on much, but when it comes to waterboarding, he is right. America will defeat the global jihad, but not by embracing its most inhuman values."

Jeff Jacoby (columnist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A conservatives view?

Not hardly.

• Banned

A conservatives view?

Not hardly.

you wouldn't know a conservative if one bit you.

Moral of the story - waterboarding, which leaves no permenant damage, is wrong. Putting a bullet in an someone's head is A-OK.

Liberal logic at its best folks.

So, we should be a "cruel and unusual punishment" country now as well as a death sentence country.

Our troops have been waterboarded as part of their training, dumbass.

Hmm, so we are to believe that waterboarding, which some U.S> recruits undergo as a matter of course, is torture. And we are to believe that using it to gain information to prevent terrorist attacks is cruel and inhuman. I guess blowing up 3,000 people is not cruel and inhuman.
We cannot win the war against terrorism by playing by Marquis of Queensbury rules. The drivel of the left is proof that we have lost moral compass, unable to tell the difference between right and wrong.

What are you going to do, if he doesn't surrender? With the SEALS you only get one chance. It's war, people die.

Umm it is not a legal declared war.

Umm it is not a legal declared war.
Oh! OK. I guess we need to issue rubber bullets then.

A conservatives view?

Not hardly.

you wouldn't know a conservative if one bit you.

Hey deldo, if you think that's a conservative POV then you're as stupid as your avatar suggest.

Hmm, so we are to believe that waterboarding, which some U.S> recruits undergo as a matter of course, is torture. And we are to believe that using it to gain information to prevent terrorist attacks is cruel and inhuman. I guess blowing up 3,000 people is not cruel and inhuman.
We cannot win the war against terrorism by playing by Marquis of Queensbury rules. The drivel of the left is proof that we have lost moral compass, unable to tell the difference between right and wrong.

they undergo it voluntarily.

your position is that the only way to prevail against animals is to become an animal oneself.

your post is proof that you have lost your moral compass, assuming you ever had one.

Moral of the story - waterboarding, which leaves no permenant damage, is wrong. Putting a bullet in an someone's head is A-OK.

Liberal logic at its best folks.

So, we should be a "cruel and unusual punishment" country now as well as a death sentence country.

Our troops have been waterboarded as part of their training, dumbass.

People in training to be police officers are held down and given a figure 8 of pepper spray and forced to react.

If you were held down by someone you viewed as your enemy and they sprayed a figure 8 of pepper spray over your eyes while holding you down, would you view that as torture?

Rarely does that question get an honest answer, but it illustrates what should be a pretty obvious difference between the 2 instances.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I've always wondered why people who think waterboarding is great don't want it done in prisons or in trials.

If waterboarding has a magical way of getting even scumbag terrorists to become genuine, honest people instantly, why not do it to scumbag rapists, murderers etc?

Who said it was great? its a tool being used against animals who have utterly no hesitation in slaughtering innocent people for no other reason than they don't worship the same religion.

I'm having an extremely hard time coming up with any compassion for the tools of Islam had I my choice they would suffer very long and horrible deaths. We expect our Government to use everything within its power to fulfill the one role where it might do some good that being protect our nation and people how they do it is up to them.

Who said it was great? its a tool being used against animals who have utterly no hesitation in slaughtering innocent people for no other reason than they don't worship the same religion.

I'm having an extremely hard time coming up with any compassion for the tools of Islam had I my choice they would suffer very long and horrible deaths. We expect our Government to use everything within its power to fulfill the one role where it might do some good that being protect our nation and people how they do it is up to them.

so if the govt decided to round up all americans of a certain ethnic or religious background in order to protect us, you'd be okay with that?

Why would you give a terrorist due process? They are not American citizens and according to the Geneva convention they are not accorded due process. They are illegal combatants.
Tell them to put on a uniform while carrying out their terrorist attacks and then we'll talk.
OH......And the other side determines the ROE. If they play dirty,so should you.
And I dont give a damn what country your from!!!

Forum List

Back