A Cautionary Story

If the inability to sell Marmite destroys someone's business in Denmark I would be very, very surprised.

:cuckoo:

I think the point is that if we keep following the Europeans (which we do appear to be since Obama took office), at what point do we stop?

The US Government is not remitted to decide what is best for us, it is our decision - as free people - do decide for ourselves. It's that whole 'freedom' thing that many lefties appear not to value.
Except....we aren't following them. You can buy both Marmite and Vegemite here.

Fail.

Again... the point.... we keep following Europe. Most of Obama's policies are based on policies that have already been implemented - and failed - in Europe.

I think the point is that if we keep following the Europeans (which we do appear to be since Obama took office), at what point do we stop?

The US Government is not remitted to decide what is best for us, it is our decision - as free people - do decide for ourselves. It's that whole 'freedom' thing that many lefties appear not to value.

Fail.

Again... the point.... we keep following Europe. Most of Obama's policies are based on policies that have already been implemented - and failed - in Europe.
Like what?

If the inability to sell Marmite destroys someone's business in Denmark I would be very, very surprised.

:cuckoo:

Fail.

For now......

Is this really the kind of government we want the US to become?

Marmite made illegal in Denmark - Telegraph

The strongly flavoured dark brown spread made from brewer's yeast has joined Rice Crispies, Shreddies, Horlicks and Ovaltine prohibited in Denmark under legislation forbidding the sale of food products with added vitamins as threat to public health.

Many well known breakfast cereal and drink brands have already been banned or taken off supermarket shelves after Danish legislation in 2004 restricted foods fortified with extra vitamins or minerals.

But Marmite had escaped notice as an exotic import for a small number of ex-pats until the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration telephoned Abigail's, a Copenhagen shop selling British food, to ban the famous yeast spread.

"I don't eat it myself, I don't like it but Marmite was one of our best selling products. Not a day goes by without someone coming in and asking for it," said Marianne Ørum, the shop owner.

"All the English people here are shaking their heads in disbelief and say that it is insane. I agree but it is the law. It's becoming impossible to run a business in this country. We are not allowed to do anything anymore. It is the way Denmark is going."..............

We are about to dump millions, to install a system, that will monitor what kids get at school for lunch, watch them eat it and then see what they throw away.

Potatoes are getting banned, or are on thier way to being, in many schools.

fyi; the spud gives the most nutrician for the money than anything else.

And you can kiss goodbye smoking in parks and at the beaches in NY. this is, of course, after they forced private business owners to not allow smoking in thier own businesses.

but hey, I still have the right to go to any store and get any kind of weapon I want. oh wait.

Well I can get any kind of drug, oh, no, I can't even get my Primatine mist w/o a script now.

gee, We may not be that far off.

We're heading further into Big Government Nanny Statedom while Europe craters from it, and in some cases, tries to reverse it.

Isn't Democracy great!

You know what? The Dans have there own democracy and they can damn well do what they want. If the citizens don't like what the law makers do they can elect new ones to change their laws.

That's not always how it works, or rarely ever how it works.

Here in America we elect new ones when lawmakers don't do what we want, then when those ones don't do what we want we re-elect the original ones, who don't do what we want, so we revert back to the substitutes and on and on and on and on.

Isn't Democracy great!

You know what? The Dans have there own democracy and they can damn well do what they want. If the citizens don't like what the law makers do they can elect new ones to change their laws.

Here in America we elect new ones when lawmakers don't do what we want, then when those ones don't do what we want we re-elect the original ones, who don't do what we want, so we revert back to the substitutes and on and on and on and on.

The Dans don't have the two(-sides of the same coin) party system as the US does.

Isn't Democracy great!

The Dans don't have the two(-sides of the same coin) party system as the US does.

That's good at least, I'm just naturally cynical of bureacrats. Who knows maybe they have one of those 3 or 4 sided coins that looks the same from every angle.

Some political grouping got together and convinced the legislature that fortified foods were a bad thing. the opposition weren't that deeply involved as the folks pushing it, so it passed.

if consumers realize that they were conned and shafted, they can get the law modified to where it is reasonable or get it repealed. It takes a lot of fighting, but eventually it can happen.

Here in the US we had a 80 year long fight over the issue of alcohol prohibition. First the anti alchohol side won, then the pro side won.

Denmark gets to make its own laws. Denmark gets to make its own mistakes.

As Mencken said, the people know what they want and deserve to get it.

good and hard.

Since we did we become Denmark?

We haven't... but the whackaloon left always likes to hold Denmark Switzerland, Cuba, etc. out as role models for what we should be,, you know... nanny statism gone amok with 50% tax rates and all.

Isn't Democracy great!

The Dans? Who, Dan Patrick and Dan Dierdorf?

:lol:

I think Denmark is a Constitutional Monarchy. Or, is that Norway?

I dunno. I get the Dans and the Norwagans mixed up al lthe time.

:eusa_drool:

I set up a Malt Liquor stand in my neighborhood, no one has bothered me yet.

Link

no really, I'm thirsty.

OldeEnglish.jpg

Is this really the kind of government we want the US to become?

Marmite made illegal in Denmark - Telegraph

The strongly flavoured dark brown spread made from brewer's yeast has joined Rice Crispies, Shreddies, Horlicks and Ovaltine prohibited in Denmark under legislation forbidding the sale of food products with added vitamins as threat to public health.

Many well known breakfast cereal and drink brands have already been banned or taken off supermarket shelves after Danish legislation in 2004 restricted foods fortified with extra vitamins or minerals.

But Marmite had escaped notice as an exotic import for a small number of ex-pats until the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration telephoned Abigail's, a Copenhagen shop selling British food, to ban the famous yeast spread.

"I don't eat it myself, I don't like it but Marmite was one of our best selling products. Not a day goes by without someone coming in and asking for it," said Marianne Ørum, the shop owner.

"All the English people here are shaking their heads in disbelief and say that it is insane. I agree but it is the law. It's becoming impossible to run a business in this country. We are not allowed to do anything anymore. It is the way Denmark is going."..............

We are about to dump millions, to install a system, that will monitor what kids get at school for lunch, watch them eat it and then see what they throw away.

Potatoes are getting banned, or are on thier way to being, in many schools.

fyi; the spud gives the most nutrician for the money than anything else.

And you can kiss goodbye smoking in parks and at the beaches in NY. this is, of course, after they forced private business owners to not allow smoking in thier own businesses.

but hey, I still have the right to go to any store and get any kind of weapon I want. oh wait.

Well I can get any kind of drug, oh, no, I can't even get my Primatine mist w/o a script now.

gee, We may not be that far off.

Damn! I have to spread some rep before I can give you more.

That's good at least, I'm just naturally cynical of bureacrats. Who knows maybe they have one of those 3 or 4 sided coins that looks the same from every angle.

Could be. They do have bold cartoonists and publishers however.

Forum List

Back