A British view on the American independence war

Munin

VIP Member
Dec 5, 2008
For those who are interested: A Britisch view on the American independence war

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Have a transcript we can parse? I don't do YouTube or vids on a message board, but ye I would like to read some on the topic, unless it comes from left wing loons, in which case it would be very un-interesting. The 'Revolution' wasn't popular at all with most colonials when it first kicked off, even Ben Franklin's son was a Tory, but it later gained steam. Even after the war ended the New England states were constantly threatening to secede for decades and join back up with Great Britain until the 1830's or so.

The Brits were arrogant and it cost them a colony

If they were willing to give equal representation to those in the colonies, none of this would have happened

i loved the way my hillbilly forebears kicked their limey azzez , i wish that i had been there !!

If they were willing to give equal representation to those in the colonies, none of this would have happened
Pretty much I would say it was the colonists who were the arrogant ones but it was the Crowns fault for that arrogance. The Crown had allowed the colonists near self autonomy from the very beginning and the Brits argued the colonists had virtual representation in the exact way thousands of British subjects in England who did not have a vote.
The taxes the Crown attempted to institute were a result of the coffers being depleted because of the Seven Years War known in the American colonies as the French and Indian War arguably started by a Virginia militia colonel by the name of George Washington. The Crown felt it was only fair that the colonists pay their fair share, the colonists on the other hand never had direct taxes imposed upon them due to their virtual autonomy and resented it. Of course by the time of the revolution the colonists were already extremely unhappy with other moves the Crown had made against the colonist's wishes, two of the greatest were the banning of the colonists to move into the rich Ohio Valley and the granting of full subject rights to 70K Catholic French Canadians, many of the American colonists wanted to bring the Canadian colonies under their exclusive control.

Last edited:
it was a deal made in HEAVEN for the 'brits' , course they lost it all . They lost an untouched land full of Trees , skins , pelts , land , millions and millions of tons of COD , other fish , chips , gold , silver , natural resources as they got to pose as red suited targets in old military style formation and get their 'eads' blowed off . -------------- yeehaw , it was cool times !!

Last edited:
and because of the Americans , 'canada' was formed as a place for 'tories' and other 'brit' loyalists ' enemies of the Americans to go to .

We weren't the only ones to kick the Brits out. Happened all over the world. One might ask what the hell they were doing there in the first place.

Thoughts?

Have a transcript we can parse? I don't do YouTube or vids on a message board, but ye I would like to read some on the topic, unless it comes from left wing loons, in which case it would be very un-interesting. The 'Revolution' wasn't popular at all with most colonials when it first kicked off, even Ben Franklin's son was a Tory, but it later gained steam. Even after the war ended the New England states were constantly threatening to secede for decades and join back up with Great Britain until the 1830's or so.

Its a bbc documentary looking through the history through the eyes of the British

This is the best I could find: BBC - History - British History in depth: The American War of Independence: The Rebels and the Redcoats

"Rebels and Redcoats" (2003)

Rebels and Redcoats - Wikipedia

The war for independence wouldn't have succeeded without the French help.

Thoughts?

I was about to say the same thing about a transcript and not doing videos, but I gave the video a look and I must say it's well worth the time. Very well done.

Great perspective. Thanks to the OP for posting it.

and because of the Americans , 'canada' was formed as a place for 'tories' and other 'brit' loyalists ' enemies of the Americans to go to .

Canada was already there, in British hands for a dozen years and as "New France" for two centuries before that.

thankyou , and thats where the despicable tories took off to . Good to see them go Pogo . USA had another enema or cleansing when the draft dodgers from the USA also took off:afro: for 'canada' Pogo .

The Americans thought that taxation without representation was bad. Well, they should see it WITH representation!

and they ended up with 'trudeau' , 'dragun woman' and and poutine Pogo !!

Pretty much I would say it was the colonists who were the arrogant ones but it was the Crowns fault for that arrogance. The Crown had allowed the colonists near self autonomy from the very beginning and the Brits argued the colonists had virtual representation in the exact way thousands of British subjects in England who did not have a vote.
The taxes the Crown attempted to institute were a result of the coffers being depleted because of the Seven Years War known in the American colonies as the French and Indian War arguably started by a Virginia militia colonel by the name of George Washington. The Crown felt it was only fair that the colonists pay their fair share, the colonists on the other hand never had direct taxes imposed upon them due to their virtual autonomy and resented it. Of course by the time of the revolution the colonists were already extremely unhappy with other moves the Crown had made against the colonist's wishes, two of the greatest were the banning of the colonists to move into the rich Ohio Valley and the granting of full subject rights to 70K Catholic French Canadians, many of the American colonists wanted to bring the Canadian colonies under their exclusive control.

they let the colonials slide over taxes and paying their own way for so long it was a insult to try and make them pay their own way. Lowering import taxes hurt the New England smugglers and pirates, like John Hancock, in the pocketbook as well, which was what the 'Tea Party' was about, making smuggling unprofitable. lol only revolt I know of started by lowering taxes, but pols were no saner then than they are now. The East India Company was losing money and they needed to make up the losses in revenue, mainly.

The whole thing should not have happened. America was populated with enough people, and capable of creating their own industry without Britain. What eventually happened to Australia, New Zealand, India, Hong Cong, and Canada should have happened to America.The British were just not used to losing colonies during that era.The British had exactly the same mindset that we had during Vietnam. Nobody could possibly resist the most powerful navy on earth. Britain's. America knew that the British could never afford to fight a long land war in America, especially during an era of shifting alliances in Europe. Once the French joined us, it was all but over. Like I said, we went through the exact same experience in Vietnam.

Thoughts?

Its a bbc documentary looking through the history through the eyes of the British

This is the best I could find: BBC - History - British History in depth: The American War of Independence: The Rebels and the Redcoats

"Rebels and Redcoats" (2003)

Rebels and Redcoats - Wikipedia

A decent into book with the title The Long Fuse is pretty good; it includes the colonials lobbyists' testimony before Parliament, including Ben Franklin's, claiming the colonials were paying their fair share for their defense, but the largest claim was Pennsylvania's '60,000 Pounds', which at then current foreign exchange rates was about half the same sum in British Pounds, and few of the other colonial Houses came close to PA's, so it wasn't very convincing, but the colonies had their own fans in Parliament, which made the British military efforts far less than ideal and tipped the balance quite a bit. Can't recall if it has a pro-Revolution slant or not, which means its probably accurate and not slanted much in either direction.

The Long Fuse

Last edited:
thankyou , and thats where the despicable tories took off to . Good to see them go Pogo . USA had another enema or cleansing when the draft dodgers from the USA also took off:afro: for 'canada' Pogo .

It's also where the Brits sent slaves to their freedom after evacuation from here.

Why do you say "despicable"?

And the 'rest of the story' is more were turned away and refused than made it in, which is why Canada is called 'The Great White North'; it ain't because of the snow. And then there is their tiny latino population, which is just bizarre given its the largest group in the hemisphere.

Forum List

Back