A Brief Presentation of White Privilege

Answer my question. Those 5 pts. What am I describing? Seems simple.

My guess, if you were unable to infer it from my previous post, is that you are trying to describe some characteristics of troubled black communities in the US. That's why I pointed out that those are characteristics which I've previously discussed in this thread. But that could easily be wrong! It's not very clear to me from the context, and it's a non-sequitur as a reply to my previous post.

Also, if you want to have a meaningful discussion then I think you're going to have to accept the fact that it's not possible if you can't take 3 minutes to read a couple paragraphs. I've only made a few posts per day in this thread. It's not that much to read. These are complicated topics and they can only be simplified so much.

Answer my question. Those 5 pts. What am I describing? Seems simple.

My guess, if you were unable to infer it from my previous post, is that you are trying to describe some characteristics of troubled black communities in the US. That's why I pointed out that those are characteristics which I've previously discussed in this thread. But that could easily be wrong! It's not very clear to me from the context, and it's a non-sequitur as a reply to my previous post.

Also, if you want to have a meaningful discussion then I think you're going to have to accept the fact that it's not possible if you can't take 3 minutes to read a couple paragraphs. I've only made a few posts per day in this thread. It's not that much to read. These are complicated topics and they can only be simplified so much.

Incorrect, sir. I was desribing a slave plantation in the pre civil war South. Eeeerily similar to urban neighborhoods though. Yet blacks keep voting Democrat, who in turn give them just enough to get by and to keep voting for them. Because God forbid they became successful and no longer needed Gov't assistance they would vote Republican and many successful blacks do. So Democrats who control urban cities via mayors, city council, police chief, etc...don't really want to make these places better. Not good for politics. But their scapegoats are racism, white privilege and now Donald Trump.

Something to think about? Don't you agree?

A recent study by the ECONOMIC POLICY INSTITUTE shows That 92.3 percent of all blacks have a high school diploma today ad 95.6 percent of whites do.

Yeah I think a potential downside of the way I've pursued this conversation is that it might be construed as endorsing yet another stereotype that all black people live in dire poverty, are uneducated, in jail, or etc. Which obviously isn't even close to being true. But the disparities between whites and blacks on average are nevertheless alarming, and I'm not sure if it's possible to discuss the issues without clarifying what they actually are. I'm sorry if I'm contributing at all to false perceptions. I think people often struggle to put statistical data into perspective. I don't have a great solution for that problem.

You're doing just fine. I posted that for Azog, not you.

A recent study by the ECONOMIC POLICY INSTITUTE shows That 92.3 percent of all blacks have a high school diploma today ad 95.6 percent of whites do.

Yeah I think a potential downside of the way I've pursued this conversation is that it might be construed as endorsing yet another stereotype that all black people live in dire poverty, are uneducated, in jail, or etc. Which obviously isn't even close to being true. But the disparities between whites and blacks on average are nevertheless alarming, and I'm not sure if it's possible to discuss the issues without clarifying what they actually are. I'm sorry if I'm contributing at all to false perceptions. I think people often struggle to put statistical data into perspective. I don't have a great solution for that problem.

You're doing just fine. I posted that for Azog, not you.

Get a job

There's plenty in your post to disagree with, but I'd rather not get sidetracked at the moment from the question I asked you to respond to. However, I've said before (not in this thread) and I'll certainly repeat that I think of racism and racial inequality as an American social problem, and not a purely partisan one. There have always been and still are plenty of ways in which one might reasonably criticize Democrats.

However, you should keep in mind that this "blacks are just too stupid to realize the Democrats are duping them" style of argumentation is a very prejudicial and insulting statement, beyond being unsubstantiated. It's also just begging the question in regard to the topics we've been discussing.

There's plenty in your post to disagree with, but I'd rather not get sidetracked at the moment from the question I asked you to respond to. However, I've said before (not in this thread) and I'll certainly repeat that I think of racism and racial inequality as an American social problem, and not a purely partisan one. There have always been and still are plenty of ways in which one might reasonably criticize Democrats.

However, you should keep in mind that this "blacks are just too stupid to realize the Democrats are duping them" style of argumentation is a very prejudicial and insulting statement, beyond being unsubstantiated. It's also just begging the question in regard to the topics we've been discussing.

It is a theory I have. Not because they are stupid. I am a Jew and my parents were Democrats for 35 years (just switched to Republican). I too was raised that Jews vote Democrat. I switched to Independent pretty quickly. Now I may switch to GOP given the unhinged element of the Democrats. This is far from stupid but more to do with group think.

In terms of equality. NO ONE gets equal opportunities. I probably get better opportunities than some and my kids will over others. BUT we all have the same rights, meaning we can work hard and achieve whatever our hearts desire. Some just have a tougher climb than others.

My oldest applied to Philips Andover. She had the grades and the athletics but not the connections....sucks but she'll go to another school and be the best she can be. Equal opportunities do not exist. It is a myth.

Somewhere around 11.30 he's claiming members of the 'dominant group' of (goes back a number of years) stated there 'is no problem' as an indication of denial.

He's right, but constraining that to American history is what is wrong here

Because the human race's entire history has been one of subjugation since the cromagnons had it out with the neaderthals.

To this day that is the social gestalt in many countries around this rock ,and may i point out many have not evolved to any civil rights level, nor wish to
>>>>Shocking Statistics, Encouraging Commitments at United Nations « Free the Slaves

The least we can say is America created an awareness ,along with some sort of effort in the 60's albeit's efficacy dubious

You see Marc, somewhere past all this denial, all the privelege ,victimhood ,appologists ,guilt fades away when one accepts the facts of human nature

~S~
So your underlying point is.....?

That rasicm has existed ,does exist, and will most likey continue to exist in many forms on this rock, because it is our nature to do so

the fact is , our racist issues here are no where near what they are elsewhere

That I don't read anything on that in the 'Race Realtions' section of the USMB means we either accept , or deny it exists

~S~

Yeah, if you are white.
Actually if you're white, black, yellow, or polka dot , ironically enough this rocks racism is EOE across the board.....~S~

IM2 what’s the goal?

First off you end the assumption that a white woman declaring white privilege is going to make us more angry and resentful of whites since we already knew white privilege existed. McIntosh did not coin the term for blacks. She did so trying to make whites more aware. Of course most whites miss the fact she was not talking about money or wealth. Now why do I have to explain a goal for you?
You don’t have to do anything, but I’m asking questions that I’m curious about. That’s what happens during discussions. You seem knowledable and passionate about the subject so I’d think you’d want to answer and explain your perspective.

It sounds like the answer is that the goal is to make whites more aware that they have privilege over blacks, is that right?

Fair enough.

Awareness of that reality is something that would go towards the goal. But really I feel that whites should already know what the goal is.
Awareness is great, but I’m curious about what message you are trying to spread and to who specifically and then what end result you are looking for

I'm here in the race and racism section of a forum discussion race and racism. No one asks these whites here about what message they are trying send or what is the goal. Whites need to fight the racism they have within their own race. Instead you want ask everyone else what they are doing. Instead of asking me these questions you should be calling out and hammering the racists like ptwb instead of allowing his ignorance to go unchecked by members of his own race.

You see I was once an athlete and I did coach youth sports. I sports as you probably know you scout your opponent and look to find tendencies you can use in order to figure out ways to win. Black people are not going to stop white racism. White racists don't give a damn what we say to them. They depend upon those of their own race staying silent and think you doing so is you supporting their racism.

White racism will not be stopped by asking me what my message is. White racism will be stopped by whites stopping the racists in their own community.
You obviously haven’t read my posts because I shut down idiots like PTWB every chance I get and I ask everybody probing questions so I can gain a better understanding of how they think. I ask it of blacks, whites, reds and yellows, I dont care who I’m talking to or what the subject.

So as a white guy who is also a coach that works with children how am I supposed to use the white privilege argument with the kids in a productive way? I’m not seeing how teaching the white kids that they have an advantage or teaching the minorities that they are disadvantaged is a helpful thing. I teach all kids to do their best, work hard, show respect, have character, integrity and pride in who they are how they carry themselves.

While I do understand the historical reality of “white privilege” I can only understand its practicality in an intellectual level. If you feel it has practical application and is an important thing to teach and promote then I’m curious what your message is, who you want it delivered to, and what your goal is??

I’m a white guy who despises racists so here is you opportunity to explain to me how I can make a difference.

yes, history, many years ago,there was white privilege. Not so much today, it is more status privilege. Money talks
White people lying and getting black people fired, removed from places of public accomodations, confronted by the police, stopped by the police, shot by the police with no repercussions - that has been happening since black people first arrived on these shores and it is still happening TODAY, it's all over the news.

Can you imagine being targeted and harassed on a regular basis when you haven't been engaged in unlawful activity and you have no recourse and can't do anything to force it to stop? And then on top of that, you have a bunch of people telling you that the things that you've been experiencing don't exist and therefore they could not have happened to you.

Is it really impossible for you to not just imagine this but to see that this is happening all around you in the world we live in TODAY?
While i dont deny that racism is still here, you cant say the majority of blacks are targeted for crimes not commited. Blacks tend to excuse other blacks when they do commit a crime. Sometimes they are approached by law enforcement with a reason. How about the black cops who "harrass" ?
Without even realizing it, you just demonstrated your unconscious bias.

The topic of our conversational exchange was how black people are discriminated against in society and how so many whites deny the continued existence of racial discrimination against people of African descent specifically. Yet for some reason as a counterpoint to my statement you introduced the topic of your perception of black as criminals, even stating that blacks are targeted for crimes which you seem to be implying we actually commit.

Your slip indicates that you view black people in terms of criminality and it would appear, based on the comments I've seen not just from you but from the majority of the other posters who pile on, in no positive light at all. That doesn't make sense because no group of people is all good or all bad.

I have no problem at all with giving credit where credit is due but from what I've seen, again based on the comments since my arrival here, the majority of you all couldn't come up with a redeaming quality or feature of any black person if it was needed to do so in order to save your own lives.

What crime was this guy committing?
Viral video shows white woman stopping black man from entering his own apartment

Ask a Asian about that. Because they don't like how whites try using them for racial mascots. The take your jew with neo nazi beliefs butt to that white person who coined the term and described what white privilege actually is so you can learn that what a person makes has not a damn thing to do with this.

Old man. You bore me. Nazis killed 90% of my family so you can go jump in the lake with your fake butthurt.

I guess you have stockholm syndrome little boy, because you have adopted Nazi beliefs.

You’re almost 60 and still whining. Maybe you should try a different approach. You also used the Stockholm Syndrome term incorrectly. Republican beliefs don’t equate to Nazi beliefs. Actually Dem beliefs do.

I'm almost 60 with a masters degree, retired and working on personal projects.. And you can drop the whining meme jewish neo nazi. Lean to think for yourself junior. You are a member of the anti semite party. I did not use stockholm syndrome incorrectly. You have adopted a nazi belief as a jew. You identify with their agenda and demands.

You of course did. I was never their prisoner, LOL. You're just an old ass antisemite.

Wrong. You are expressing neo nazi views and are being called on it.

First off you end the assumption that a white woman declaring white privilege is going to make us more angry and resentful of whites since we already knew white privilege existed. McIntosh did not coin the term for blacks. She did so trying to make whites more aware. Of course most whites miss the fact she was not talking about money or wealth. Now why do I have to explain a goal for you?
You don’t have to do anything, but I’m asking questions that I’m curious about. That’s what happens during discussions. You seem knowledable and passionate about the subject so I’d think you’d want to answer and explain your perspective.

It sounds like the answer is that the goal is to make whites more aware that they have privilege over blacks, is that right?

Fair enough.

Awareness of that reality is something that would go towards the goal. But really I feel that whites should already know what the goal is.
Awareness is great, but I’m curious about what message you are trying to spread and to who specifically and then what end result you are looking for

I'm here in the race and racism section of a forum discussion race and racism. No one asks these whites here about what message they are trying send or what is the goal. Whites need to fight the racism they have within their own race. Instead you want ask everyone else what they are doing. Instead of asking me these questions you should be calling out and hammering the racists like ptwb instead of allowing his ignorance to go unchecked by members of his own race.

You see I was once an athlete and I did coach youth sports. I sports as you probably know you scout your opponent and look to find tendencies you can use in order to figure out ways to win. Black people are not going to stop white racism. White racists don't give a damn what we say to them. They depend upon those of their own race staying silent and think you doing so is you supporting their racism.

White racism will not be stopped by asking me what my message is. White racism will be stopped by whites stopping the racists in their own community.
You obviously haven’t read my posts because I shut down idiots like PTWB every chance I get and I ask everybody probing questions so I can gain a better understanding of how they think. I ask it of blacks, whites, reds and yellows, I dont care who I’m talking to or what the subject.

So as a white guy who is also a coach that works with children how am I supposed to use the white privilege argument with the kids in a productive way? I’m not seeing how teaching the white kids that they have an advantage or teaching the minorities that they are disadvantaged is a helpful thing. I teach all kids to do their best, work hard, show respect, have character, integrity and pride in who they are how they carry themselves.

While I do understand the historical reality of “white privilege” I can only understand its practicality in an intellectual level. If you feel it has practical application and is an important thing to teach and promote then I’m curious what your message is, who you want it delivered to, and what your goal is??

I’m a white guy who despises racists so here is you opportunity to explain to me how I can make a difference.

I've been telling you. Work to rid the white community of racism. If you want to bitch about the concept of white privilege go talk to Peggy McIntosh, but if you want do something then teach your kids not to be racists. Talking abut integrity, hard work and all that is great, but I've worked hard my entire life operate with integrity and pride, respect those who respect me and have carried myself in a first class way and still have faced racism. So it's about erasing age old bellefs whites have taught each other. Why whites are so confused as to how they can make a difference baffles me. You mean to tell me that you don't know how to get rid of racism in your community and that a black person has to explain that to you?

And can you see how that is part of white privilege? The fact that you don't have to think about racism or ways to rid your communiy of it?

Old man. You bore me. Nazis killed 90% of my family so you can go jump in the lake with your fake butthurt.

I guess you have stockholm syndrome little boy, because you have adopted Nazi beliefs.

You’re almost 60 and still whining. Maybe you should try a different approach. You also used the Stockholm Syndrome term incorrectly. Republican beliefs don’t equate to Nazi beliefs. Actually Dem beliefs do.

I'm almost 60 with a masters degree, retired and working on personal projects.. And you can drop the whining meme jewish neo nazi. Lean to think for yourself junior. You are a member of the anti semite party. I did not use stockholm syndrome incorrectly. You have adopted a nazi belief as a jew. You identify with their agenda and demands.

You of course did. I was never their prisoner, LOL. You're just an old ass antisemite.

Wrong. You are expressing neo nazi views and are being called on it.

Example?

Fair enough.

I've been telling you. Work to rid the white community of racism. If you want to bitch about the concept of white privilege go talk to Peggy McIntosh, but if you want do something then teach your kids not to be racists. Talking abut integrity, hard work and all that is great, but I've worked hard my entire life operate with integrity and pride, respect those who respect me and have carried myself in a first class way and still have faced racism. So it's about erasing age old bellefs whites have taught each other. Why whites are so confused as to how they can make a difference baffles me. You mean to tell me that you don't know how to get rid of racism in your community and that a black person has to explain that to you?

And can you see how that is part of white privilege? The fact that you don't have to think about racism or ways to rid your communiy of it?
I don’t need you to explain how to rid racism from my community unless you are on to some kind of secret mind control formula that I’m not aware of. I was asking about the concept of white privilege and how it is a useful lesson to teach others. You still haven’t answers that.

The fact is I cant control how others think. I’m not racist, I teach Love and acceptance, but I can only control how I act. If I see somebody being racist I tell them that it’s wrong but other than that I don’t think there is much more I can do. Racism has been and will continue to be filtered out through time and bettter education for our children. There are always going to be ugly elements in our society and there are always going to be people who hate others just because they are different. Don’t give these people more power and influence than they deserve, which is zero.

You should understand something as well.... while I understand the difference between black and white people that has resulted from an oppressive history and a present power imbalance... you also have to look at yourself and not be hypocritical. If you judge white people as a whole and do not consider the individual then aren’t you doing the same thing that you are condemning white people for doing to blacks?

I was asking about the concept of white privilege and how it is a useful lesson to teach others. You still haven’t answers that.

"white privilege" is a validation of the theory of Goebbels....

keep chanting it over and over, but never try to explain WHAT IT IS, since IT DOES NOT EXIST.

Who has PRIVILEGE?

Those getting PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT in

1. job applications
2. higher education admissions
3. use of certain words

I was asking about the concept of white privilege and how it is a useful lesson to teach others. You still haven’t answers that.

"white privilege" is a validation of the theory of Goebbels....

keep chanting it over and over, but never try to explain WHAT IT IS, since IT DOES NOT EXIST.

Who has PRIVILEGE?

Those getting PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT in

1. job applications
2. higher education admissions
3. use of certain words
There’s validity to the arguement... when an entire class of people is discriminated against by law for generations then a subculture based in poverty and lack of education forms. This isn’t something that is reversed and fixed immediately after changing the laws.

yes, history, many years ago,there was white privilege. Not so much today, it is more status privilege. Money talks
White people lying and getting black people fired, removed from places of public accomodations, confronted by the police, stopped by the police, shot by the police with no repercussions - that has been happening since black people first arrived on these shores and it is still happening TODAY, it's all over the news.

Can you imagine being targeted and harassed on a regular basis when you haven't been engaged in unlawful activity and you have no recourse and can't do anything to force it to stop? And then on top of that, you have a bunch of people telling you that the things that you've been experiencing don't exist and therefore they could not have happened to you.

Is it really impossible for you to not just imagine this but to see that this is happening all around you in the world we live in TODAY?
While i dont deny that racism is still here, you cant say the majority of blacks are targeted for crimes not commited. Blacks tend to excuse other blacks when they do commit a crime. Sometimes they are approached by law enforcement with a reason. How about the black cops who "harrass" ?
Without even realizing it, you just demonstrated your unconscious bias.

The topic of our conversational exchange was how black people are discriminated against in society and how so many whites deny the continued existence of racial discrimination against people of African descent specifically. Yet for some reason as a counterpoint to my statement you introduced the topic of your perception of black as criminals, even stating that blacks are targeted for crimes which you seem to be implying we actually commit.

Your slip indicates that you view black people in terms of criminality and it would appear, based on the comments I've seen not just from you but from the majority of the other posters who pile on, in no positive light at all. That doesn't make sense because no group of people is all good or all bad.

I have no problem at all with giving credit where credit is due but from what I've seen, again based on the comments since my arrival here, the majority of you all couldn't come up with a redeaming quality or feature of any black person if it was needed to do so in order to save your own lives.

What crime was this guy committing?
Viral video shows white woman stopping black man from entering his own apartment
It wasn't a slip and in now way is just blacks. What I am saying is that when blacks do commit crimes, it seems like so many blacks defend them. I don't care what color you are, if you commit a crime,you are guilty. There are many great blacks and whites.I don't demean just blacks. The problem is, how many black posters say anything positive about white people? Your reply just showed what I was talking about. Not all blacks are targeted just because of their race,but you defend them. And I did say racism hasn't ended, just that it isn't always about race.

Work to rid the white community of racism

LMFAO!!!

Here you are, a pillar of racial bigotry, lecturing others....
I guess all non racist whites are supposed to go find those racists and convert them. I raised my daughter to treat people how she is treated, it worked. She is the most kind, loving person I know. What about all the black posters who admit distrusting and/or disliking whites?

You're doing just fine.

The problem isn't you, or your the data you're providing.

Forum List

Back