A Bold Prediction

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JimH52, Nov 25, 2007.

1. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,258
    The GOP is becoming a shattered party as we speak. Mitt is attacking Rudy and Thompson is campaigning like a wet rag and there is no one candidate that the far right feels comfortable with. If Mitt or Rudy secure the election, the Christian right will raise it's own candidate leaving the GOP a shattered party.

Hucklebee is not going to win a primary but he will be the choice of the Christain right. This will split the GOP vote in November and the Democratic candiate will win handily.

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Ummmmmm... I disagree. Once Huckabee is out of the picture, the Christian right will follow whomever the republican nominee is for the simple reason that they will think it's the lesser of two evils.

I think it will be split almost down the middle again and it's going to once again come down to a few states. I'd like to be wrong about that, I just don't think I am.

What WOULD make a huge difference is if a third part candidate like Bloomberg or Ron Paul runs. I'd hate to waste my vote, but I'd have a hard time not voting for, say, Bloomberg/Hegel.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Detmurds

Detmurds VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You both make some very interesting, and good points:clap2: . As a Republican, I am worried about the candidates taking away credit from each other in result destroying each other. But then, one can simply look at the Donkeys and see they are doing no better.

I like Fred Thompson, but will vote for the Republican everytime,..well, Ron Paul? I don't know, but I don't think he has a chance, he would make a better Democrat if one asks me!

4. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

there won't be any viable Christian Right third party candidate in the general election.

Bank on it.

5. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,407
    I would have to vote for Ron Paul over any Democrat running, but fortunately, it doesn't look as if that will be necessary. Too bad Ron Paul isn't running as a Democrat though. He would probably win the nomination since he's a pure liberal in those things Democrats most cherish and he is conservative in the areas that most Democrats wish their candidates were more conservative.

At least with Ron Paul as the Democrat nominee, and just about anybody on the GOP ticket as the Republican nominee, we might have to actually think about our vote for once.

6. Detmurds

Detmurds VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    And not just that,..Ron Paul at least has a plan unlike all the Dems!

7. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,407
    He talks a good game for sure. I just wish I agreed with more of his plans in some areas that are very important to me.

8. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    From what I have seen of RP he is a constitutionalists at heart. I am not an expert on him BTW, only going on sound-bytes and the congressional record.

IF you look at most of the non-nutjob stuff he says.... it dovetails with the 1st iteration of the Constitution.

9. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,258
    "non-nutjob stuff" The nutjob stuff that he says is exactly why I am not sure about RB.

But, touching on an earlier point about republicans voting for whoever is nominated, I know several people that are hard core GOP that will not support someone like Rudy who is pro-choice. I do think they will stay away from the polls.

Not a hard core fact but I feeling.

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    It depends on what you think a Constitutionalist is. Someone who inserts his/her own viewpoint as to what it says and ignores the high court's decisions as to what it says, isn't a Constitutionalist, IMO. It is not nearly as rigid as the "strict Constructionists" (a fairly recent view of constitutional interpretation, btw) would have one believe. To my mind, that type of "literal interpretation" has the same shortcomings as a "literal translation" of the bible... it loses all nuance and takes something which is intended for broad application and grey areas and makes it black and whilte.

Either way, I think RP is regressive in thought. The fact that the racists have attached themselves to him isn't his fault, but it is an indication of what the results of his policies would be.