A Bigger Blacker GOP?

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
By Dick Morris
FrontPageMagazine.com | February 8, 2006

Well it looks like the GOP tent of inclusion just got bigger :D

Far away from the speeches of Jesse Jackson, the demands of Al Sharpton and the ranting of Louis Farrakhan, a quiet revolution is taking place in the role African-Americans play in politics. In the very heartland of the nation — in Pennsylvania and Ohio — the Republican Party is getting set to nominate black candidates for governor in the coming elections. In a nation that has not a single African-American governor — not one — from either party, this is its own little revolution.

These are not throwaway candidates in states where the GOP has no chance of victory. These are real candidates, chosen when there were plenty of white alternatives, that are en route to their party's nomination, with real chances to win.

In Pennsylvania, former football great Lynn Swann stands poised to be designated as the Republican candidate at next week's State Convention. The former wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers, now enshrined in the Hall of Fame, is seeking fame of another sort, trying to be the state's first black governor.

In Ohio, a key swing state, Ken Blackwell, the Republican secretary of state, is running for the gubernatorial nomination in a state Republicans can win. In Maryland, Lieut. Gov. Michael Steele is seeking the open Senate seat.

Add these men to the possibility that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice might heed Laura Bush's advice and run for president, and a revolution may be in the making.

Salena Zito, a political columnist for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, notes that "to an extent, Democrats have been blindsided by this growth of black Republicans running for high-profile offices."

The backdrop for this sea change is sketched out in a new book by an ex-Bush White House staffer, Ron Christie, Black in the White House: Life Inside George W. Bush's West Wing. He catalogues a range of policy initiatives which, particularly in education, have led to achievements that rival the best of the Clinton years.

Partly as a result of President Bush's No Child Left Behind legislation, the achievement gap between white and black fourth-grade students in reading is at its lowest ever and the math gap is, too. (The eighth-grade tests also reflect a sharp narrowing of the gap.)

And as former Rep. J.C. Watts of Oklahoma found out, African-Americans who reject the entitlement ethic and stand for self-reliance and individual upward mobility are very attractive to white voters. Asked to accept liberal ideology and big tax-and-spend programs as the price of supporting black candidates, many voters say no. But given a chance to find black candidates who share the electorate's vision, most white voters jump at the chance.

Black candidates are highly threatening to white political leaders. Sources close to Rev. Al Sharpton, for example, attribute Hillary Clinton's comparison of the House of Representatives to a "plantation" to her fear of a Rice candidacy. "She boycotted the event for two years in a row and now, when Condi might run, she shows up and uses militant rhetoric," one of Sharpton's key people told me. "She needs to get Al to vouch for her in South Carolina if she goes up against Condi," he added.

The Democratic Party has always treated the African-American vote like a golfer's handicap. A Democrat takes the black vote for granted and a Republican, until recently, takes its loss as a given. But the growth of black candidates among Republicans — a result of the declining power of racism in politics — may force both parties to change that calculation. If the black vote becomes "in play" as the Hispanic vote has, there will be a whole new politics in this country of ours.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=21211

NATO AIR said:
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/13816357.htm

Its a "go" for Swann to recieve the nomination. I hope he beats Rendell, I think Insein and Avatar have said he's a bozo in the past.

Swann is going to be a real contender. I am already looking forward to voting for him. I heard he was at the Steelers Parade yesterday and everyone was yelling "Governor!" and then Governor Rendell was behind him fuming. haha. its going to be a fun campaign.

Swann is going to be a real contender. I am already looking forward to voting for him. I heard he was at the Steelers Parade yesterday and everyone was yelling "Governor!" and then Governor Rendell was behind him fuming. haha. its going to be a fun campaign.

Rendell is not as bad as some though, but he's no prince either. Now that thug Street he needs to go now!!!

I hope Swann does win he seems like the genuine article.

Bonnie said:
Rendell is not as bad as some though, but he's no prince either. Now that thug Street he needs to go now!!!

I hope Swann does win he seems like the genuine article.

Maybe i just have a strong dislike for Rendell because i saw some of the crap he put Philly through. Its just beyond me why the guy can ruin the philadelphia education system then turn around and promise to do the same thing for education in PA that he did for philly, and still get elected.

Maybe i just have a strong dislike for Rendell because i saw some of the crap he put Philly through. Its just beyond me why the guy can ruin the philadelphia education system then turn around and promise to do the same thing for education in PA that he did for philly, and still get elected.

I agree he is a slime, I met him a while back and I have to say in person he's very charming so I can see how some of the dumber residents in PA could be fooled.

I for one am a big fan of Ken Blackwell,as is many of my family. He will definitely get my vote for Governor. He took a lot of heat in the presidential election and stood firm. He is a strong Consevative,and does not care about being called a sell out. I think he has an excellent chance.

krisy said:
I for one am a big fan of Ken Blackwell,as is many of my family. He will definitely get my vote for Governor. He took a lot of heat in the presidential election and stood firm. He is a strong Consevative,and does not care about being called a sell out. I think he has an excellent chance.

A strong Consevative, that WILL be refreshing, there`s hope yet. :cheers2:

trobinett said:
A strong Consevative, that WILL be refreshing, there`s hope yet. :cheers2:

I think there is with Ken Blackwell. Our current governor has imposed a lot of taxes,which Ken spoke out against. I feel bad for these black Republicans. They get so much slack. What I don't understand from the "other" side is,if everyone is the same and just be equal,why is there such an issue when a black man is a Republican/Conservative? It makes no sense.

krisy said:
I think there is with Ken Blackwell. Our current governor has imposed a lot of taxes,which Ken spoke out against. I feel bad for these black Republicans. They get so much slack. What I don't understand from the "other" side is,if everyone is the same and just be equal,why is there such an issue when a black man is a Republican/Conservative? It makes no sense.

They work to put them back in their place. The stereotypical role that is expected of them.

This article focuses mostly on Ken Blackwell, but also indicates the caliber of blacks the Republican Party is attracting.

Changing the Face of the Republican Party
By Kathryn Lopez for www.dddnews.com
Friday, February 10, 2006

Black Republicans are making a run for a number of big elections this year. In Maryland, Michael Steele wants retiring Democrat Paul Sarbanes' Senate seat. Keith Butler is also running for Senate, from Michigan. Lynn Swann, the former Pittsburgh Steelers star, wants to be governor of the Keystone State. Randy Daniels would like to be governor of New York. And gunning for governor in a key presidential electoral state there is the great black hope for the Republican Party, Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell.

The "great black hope" is probably the last phrase Blackwell would use to describe himself (I, myself, cringed while writing it). A phrase that cheapens, not to mention ghettoizes; in truth, Ken Blackwell is a great hope for us all.

In a profile piece in the winter issue of City Journal, contributing editor Steven Malanga calls Blackwell "Ronald Reagan's Unlikely Heir." Malanga writes, "Ken Blackwell has so many people worried because he represents a new political calculus with the power to shake up American politics."

Who can have a power like that, you ask? "For Blackwell is a fiscal and cultural conservative ... who happens to be black with the proven power to attract votes from across a startlingly wide spectrum of the electorate." Malanga continues, "Born in the projects of Cincinnati to a meat-packer who preached the work ethic and a nurse who read to him from the Bible every evening, Blackwell has rejected the victimology of many black activists and opted for a different path, championing school choice, opposing abortion and advocating low taxes as a road to prosperity. The 57-year-old is equally comfortable preaching that platform to the black urban voters of Cincinnati as to the white German-Americans in Ohio's rural counties or to the state's business community."

And Blackwell could win -- having taken an early pre-Republican primary lead (currently at around ten points) and garnering the national attention needed to gain support from his peers.

Ward Connerly, a black political powerhouse himself and successful crusader against racial and gender quotas in education, tells me, "a Blackwell victory would be very significant because it would illustrate that being a Republican is not the 'kiss of death' for a 'black' aspirant for higher office."

full article: http://www.dddnews.com/story/1139353.html

Forum List

Back